Mexican Food

Options
My favorite type of food is Mexican. Does anyone have any favorite Mexican Dishes that are semi-healthy and lower in
calories?

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Not really a dish, just stuff I throw together. I saute onions and bell peppers together until soft, then throw in some cumin, chili powder, onion powder and granulated garlic. Throw in some frozen black beans and a can of no-salt-added fire-roasted tomatoes, and perhaps some frozen corn, and let it simmer until most of the liquid is gone and the mixture is thickened.

Throw it in a high-fiber low-carb tortilla wrap or a corn tortilla with some lettuce, shredded cheese, hot sauce and sour cream. Yum.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My favorite type of food is Mexican. Does anyone have any favorite Mexican Dishes that are semi-healthy and lower in
    calories?

If you check out recipes and cook real mexican food, you should have no problems. I live in Mexico and obviously eat mexican food every day and have lost 45 pounds since April. I eat rice, beans, carnitas, enchiladas, chilaquiles and all the other stuff....just not in Tex-Mex combinations that are very cheese and cream heavy, which is not the case with original Mexican food. Also I only eat corn tortillas, which are automatically healthy and low cal with on average 50-55 cals for one.
  • akoorn1982
    akoorn1982 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I tried something new today and I really liked it: salmon with a Mexican twist.

I took a salmon filet (125 grams) and placed it in a bowl; then I mixed a table spoon olive oil with a tea spoon of tex mex spices. Poured the mixture over the salmon an let it marinate for a while. Preheat the oven at 220 degrees (Celsius) and wrap the salmon in some tin foil. Place in the preheated oven and let it cook for 20 minutes.

I ate it with some lightly dressed lettuce and baked potatoes.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.. what MysteriousMer said!

I made home made salsa that is a great add... 55 calories a cup!

When I make it these are the proportions I use

8 cups fresh tomatoes, diced
    5 cups fresh onions (yellow/white.. but some people have used red too), diced
    3-5 fresh jalapeno peppers (remove stems and seeds), dice but then also run thru blender/food processor
    1/2 bundle of fresh cilantro.. about 2 ounces, chop then run thru blender
    about a cup of apple cider vinegar
    3 tablespoons granulated garlic/garlic powder
    1 tablespoon of salt

My mother in law also makes hers with canned green chilies, and dices green onions. Hers is really good too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It depends a lot on the kind of Mexican food you like. But I have it all the time, I just use low fat cheese, low fat or nonfat sour cream, a lot of salsa and some lean meat.
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much. Great ideas and they all sound really yummy!!!!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Anything Mexican I <3!! If you make it all yourself, you can pretty much change any dish up and make it healthy :)
  • kikisalander
    kikisalander Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Real Mexican food is pretty healthy to begin with. You may need to substitute here and there (don't use lard in refried beans, for example) but if you aren't making white people Mexican you shouldn't be having much of an issue to begin with.