Anyone lost a large amount of weigh just eating healthy?

Options
Hi all, Feel free to add me. Just wanting to no success stories on people losing alot of weigh. I have 10 stone to lose to be a 'healthy' weight. Speak soon Jenbob x

Replies

• AproMunro
    Options
    Well, I have lost about 20 pounds so far. I am not on a special diet. I do just eat healthy food with proper portions. A lot of people have a different idea of what "eating healthy" is, so it is important to be clear on your meaning. I explained my eating style here. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1151961-hi-i-m-new and also explain why I cannot work out vigorously yet.

I am confident that this approach will allow me to lose the full 150 pounds (10 stone) That I want to lose!

Be confident. It can be done! and I have found that it can also be quite EASY! You just have to be kind to yourself!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 50 lbs by just eating better portions (eating more fruits and vegetables helps since you get a lot more food for the same calories). I started running after that, but more for health than weight loss. A healthy deficit and sensible macro goals is all you need to drop the weight. Good luck.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I used to force myself to work out, but I've always hated the idea of "30 minutes of cardio a day" rather than just having a lifestyle doing fun active things, like paddling, rock climbing, hiking, etc. I stopped doing the gym thing a few months ago. I also made the switch to Paleo, and now have a whole foods, lower carb diet. I've lost 35 pounds in two months, and I'm still losing steadily, and I haven't worked out once!!! I know later on I'll have to add weight training back in to tone up, but I don't see the point in doing "gym cardio" if I hate it so much. I totally believe in the "lose weight in the kitchen, get fit in the gym" philosophy. :)
  • Fishshtick
    Fishshtick Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Research and my personal experience suggest that diet control is at least initially more effective for most people than exercise for losing weight for several reasons. First, it is easier to control food intake than to drastically increase your activity levels to account for the same calorie deficit, especially early on in a fitness program. Second, research shows that exercise can lead to a substantial rebound hunger effects making it more likely that a person will offset their calorie deficit from exercise with increased caloric intake. Third, exercise of course builds muscle, which is very desirable for long term weight management goals, but can give the appearance of slower weight loss. Fourth, significantly overweight people who embark on ambitious fitness programs often suffer injuries that delay further progress. Starting with low intensity exercises can avoid that, but will often again lead to slower weight loss than dieting. All that said, the highest odds of success for most people that are very overweight is to begin with a change in diet away from preprocesses foods, calorie control using a food diary (MFP is the best), and possibly some low intensity exercise, such as walking. Once a person gets his or weight down into a BMI range closer to just overweight, as opposed to obese, then more intensive exercises, including cardio and weight training, can begin to play a bigger role with less risk of derailing your program, and will almost certainly be required lose the last 20 or so lbs. TV shows like the Biggest Loser get a lot people interested in weight loss, but have also set a lot of people back on that goal by over emphasizing the exercise component and under emphasizing diet control as it makes better TV to show people struggling and even failing with injuries. Don't go there. Just start by getting your healthy eating and calorie deficit going and record everything in MFP. You will lose weight faster than you think. I failed repeatedly to lose weight with exercise, in large part due to injuries. This time I lost my first 25 lbs with just diet and when I returned to gym it was like starting an exercise under partial gravity and I am actually enjoying it.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Define "healthy"