Starting today

mreed911
mreed911 Posts: 25
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Okay, so met with my cardiologist two weeks ago and my doctor last week - have the appropriate approvals. Starting today, I'm on 1800 calories a day, using 3 weight loss shakes at ~ 600 calories total, leaving me 1200 calories to split as I like (300/300/600, 400/400/400, 300/300/300/300, etc.). And 96 oz of water a day.

I'm currently over 420 lbs at 6'2". Believe it or not, I'm active. I'm big framed, but have a serious gut. Serious. By active I mean really active - I'm a paramedic. In the heat. So lifting, moving, etc.

My problem? I stress eat. And I ate too much fast food. That's gone.

I've started here, started with the iPhone app, my wife is losing weight too, and I have to see my doctor monthly (at first for bloodwork to make sure I'm not losing too fast). I have people to hold me accountable... and I'm holding myself accountable. Something my doctor said stuck... "If you're not keeping track, you're not serious!"

So... here I am. By this time next year I hope to be well on the way to losing a half of me.

Replies

• reojames
    reojames Posts: 96
    Hey mreed!
    Stay motivated! You didn't ask for this, but here's how I stay(ed) motivated....Take pictures now, in swimming trunks so you can keep comparing your 'new' self to what you were. (I actually keep a picture of me at my largest in my wallet) Also, I load up my ipod with motivational podcasts (I LOVE the fat2fit podcast) to listen to while I'm walking every morning (walking is about the only exercise I do right now), and be sure to log every exercise and food item in your diary here!
    I wish I had found this site when I first started losing weight. I've lost 20 pounds since July 1st, but am new here, too.
    Good luck!
    Aaron
  • mreed911
    mreed911 Posts: 25
    Thanks for the tip on the podcast - I'm going to have to give that a shot. Just got my daughter off to her first day of high school today, so we're getting back in a regular schedule.

Thanks for the encouragement. Today went well, and the dinner I'd planned for tonight (600 calories) turned out to be a whole lot more food than I imagined. Mushrooms are my friend - lots of bulk with no fat and few calories!
This discussion has been closed.