Working very hard, gaining weight!

I'm having an issue with weight gain, and I'm not so certain it's from muscle gain.

I had lost a total of 3 pounds since I started my "work especially hard" program, but within the last 2 days I've gained 2 pounds back. I have lost 3 inches off my waist since I started, but that's the only significant difference.

I work out twice a day. Ideally one 30-40 minute tabata, kettle bell or strength workout & one 1hr yoga and/or pilates. If I can't fit both of them in, I try to stay active doing something else...like carrying arms loads of groceries through the store or cleaning vigorously etc.

This is the hardest I have ever worked out, with the exception of Army boot camp 8 years ago.

YES I'm

Measuring my food

Enough rest, enough water.

NO I'm

Generally not eating my workout calories.

Not drinking calories

Not starving myself

The only possible problem I can see is the fact that I don't change the foods I eat, I don't limit myself to salads and smoothies etc. I eat actual meals, made from scratch with organic ingredients. I prefer to eat the way I'm always going to eat and not follow some fad diet.

Oh, and I don't really do cardio due to bad neighborhood and lack of childcare for gym time.

Any ideas?

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    2 days, 2 lbs.. water weight.. depending on what you eat and your workouts the scale is going to jump around.. Try to look at it on a weekly average of numbers instead of 1 day to the next.

With the amount your eating, you will not gain muscle.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    I have lost over 100lbs without changing my diet and that should not be a problem its about a deficit no matter what you eat deficit equals weight loss. If you have increased your exercise lately then muscles hold water as part of the recovery system, also weight loss is erratic I can gain and lose for no reason with sudden drops and just as sudden rises. Give it time and just keep working at it if you are logging accurately and eating a deficit then the losses will come, I find as suggested that for approx each 3500 calories of deficit I lose around a 1lb but it is erratic and goes when its ready! I weigh daily and can see gains and losses daily but never worry about the odd gain or loss they always catch up in the end and continue my trend of 2.5lbs loss per week.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    You lost 3 inches from your waist. That is nothing to sneeze at.