Best HRM for cardio?

Options
Hello, I really want to get a useful and accurate HRM for when I work out to see an accurate amount of how many calories I burn and such. I was just wondering if anyone knows a really good one. Thanks

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I would say to look into the whole heart rate monitor thing in general first, I would argue that they heavily overestimate the amount of calories burned and theres a lot of science to agree with me that HRMs are better for measuring intensity and achieving and maintaing certain heart rates then they are for measuring caloric expenditure during activities because there are many more variables than just your heart rate that go into how your body uses energy sources, just to make sure I was right about this I re-read an article published by the department of health and human services by robert robergs Ph.D if you look into it youd see things like the exhange of oxygen and CO2, the athletes fitness levels, the way youve trained the body to utilize and oxydize different energy sources make accurate measurment of caloric expenditure significantly more complicated then just height weight and HR
  • CarineCNM
    CarineCNM Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. It works as a motivating factor for me and I am always trying to beat my best. Overall, it is more accurate than the calorie burn from the machines and is helpful for logging. Lastly, it is not overly expensive, you can get it for as cheap as $60.
  • Sabby888
    Sabby888 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above, I did my research and decided to go for Polar FT4, it's a watch and chestband, it has good reviews and recommendations, is quite cheap and seems fairly accurate. I've just ordered it off Amazon and I'm getting it in the post tomorrow so I can't review it myself, but I'm hoping I like it!!!!

To the guy above who is saying calories are overestimated, yes they may be, but we are looking at a general calorie burn and obviously a HRM is wayyyy more accurate than what MFP calculates. The calorie burn amounts MFP adds to my diary are ridiculous