I don't know how many calories I should be eating

Options
Hi everyone so a few days ago I posted here about how I've increased my caloric intake because I was netting below 800 calories after exercising...since then I've increased to about 1300-1500.

Some facts you might need: I do at least 30 minutes of vigorous cardio 5-6 times a week and began weight training two weeks ago (3x/week). I'm 19 years old, 5'10 and want to lose another 70 lbs.

I;m not sure whether i'm eating enough for the size I am right now? I see lots of people on here that are my size and netting at 1700 calories for example, and still losing weight. Can someone explain to me how that works?

Sorry if my questions are redundant but I'm just a little confused and with exams around the corner I don't have a lot of time to research all of this on my own, or where to get accurate information.:(

Thank you!

Replies

• candiceh3
    Options
    You might find your weight lifting suffers if you eat too little. At best you can eat high protein and hope not to lose too much muscle.

But yeah I think your net calories are OK for someone of your height with a fair bit to lose. As you get closer to your goal you will have to increase your calories because you won't have as much fat to burn to contribute to the calorie deficit.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I;m not sure whether i'm eating enough for the size I am right now? I see lots of people on here that are my size and netting at 1700 calories for example, and still losing weight. Can someone explain to me how that works?
    They maintain at higher than 1700 calories? I would be losing weight on 1700 net calories too, and I'm only 5' 7". It would be slow going, like 1/4 pound a week, but I'd still be losing.

I average 2050 calories a day (gross, not net) with an hour of activity a day and I'm maintaining on that.