Anyone Else NOT Eat Breakfast Before Working Out ?

Options

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I like to workout after I eat because it aids digestion and balances blood sugar. I read that it's best to wait about 15 minutes after eating, though.

It's a good way to learn not to overeat. If you don't want to throw up during your workout, you wont eat so much before hand. ;)

Oh, my exercise is weight lifting and walking, and the most intense is jump roping, so that may explain why I can do it. Even the few times I've jogged, it was at the end of my walk and more than a 1/2 hour after eating.
  • bethiewilliams
    Options
    I swim for fitness and cannot swim if I have eaten in the previous 4-6 hours. Horrible feeling and it makes me sluggish too...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Personal preference, do what you like.

This!

I very rarely eat breakfast because if I do I am hungry all day and just want to sit on my butt and eat!
  • ThatOperaGirl
    ThatOperaGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've tried both when I do 6am gym sessions. If I'm doing cardio, then not eating seems to work best for me, but if I'm doing strength training, then eating something small (half a banana, for example) seems to give me a bit of extra pep.

I always have a coffee first, though. Always, always coffee :wink:
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my workout, but I drink 500ml of water before I start.
  • kczarnec
    kczarnec Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    For me it would depend on the kind of workout (harder I would need some kind of snack which I don't consider breakfast) and at what time in the morning. I try to eat enough to keep my strength up through the work out (banana, string cheese, etc.) but not too much that I'd get cramps.
  • webbeyes
    webbeyes Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    3 of my 5 weekly workouts take place in the morning. I never eat before ... although the 2 cups of coffee are a base necessity!

The two days a week that are afternoon workouts typically end up being about 4 hours after my last real meal, so it doesn't affect the sloshy feeling.

OTOH, my wife needs to eat at least something an hour before she works out.

Personal preference indeed!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have to! I always exercise in the mornings and I always wake up hungry. I grab a light healthy snack, and then have porridge after :-)
  • Bound4Kona
    Bound4Kona Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4:30 to be at the gym by 5a. I rarely eat anything before working, but will hydrate with water before working out.

Once in a blue moon I may have a plain greek yogurt if I'm really hungry.

Keep kicking a**!
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I never eat before a run.
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Never...yesterday I ran 10.7 miles without having breakfast (or in fact dinner the night before, but that's another story!).
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I work out fasted, but do what works for you.
  • tegalicious
    Options
    On a run day, nothing beforehand and a chai tea after and then breakfast at work about an hour after the chai tea. On weight days, a chai tea before and then breakfast at work about 30 minutes after workout. I am not fond of eating before my weight routine, it is just what I have to do since I will be going from the gym straight to work.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have a long commute which pretty much negates a morning workout. My typical workout is during my lunch break or after I have taken care of dinner and kids etc. For me, the only time I have to eat is usually about 30 minutes to an hour before I work out, I have gotten used to it. Agree with those above, personal preference.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I do my cardio on the morning. I have a couple cups of coffee but don't eat anything. For weight training, I can't eat less than 2hrs before I lift, otherwise it's rather unpleasant with my meal rising up in my throat lol.
  • tabbyxxcat
    tabbyxxcat Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the others, I just fill up with some water or tea before I head out the door for my 6am workout. Since I am a dishwasher and have to wait like 10 minutes for my dish machine to start up at 7:30am, that is when I eat a banana and drink some juice, usually protein- or fiber-rich. It is what has worked for me :) personal preference indeed!
  • shawn1112
    shawn1112 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    On the weekends I'm usually in the gym by 7:30am at the latest. If I eat anything its a bannana or a granola bar before my workout, but 90% of the time I dont eat anything. I wait till I'm done then have breakfast.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Yep, no food for me before my 7am either. I want my body to burn fat, not to run on whatever is entering my bloodstream from my digestive system: ) I have breakfast about 20 minutes after workout, it's a protein shake and cereal with milk.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I never eat before my morning workout. Wouldn't like to eat at 4.30am.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Yep, no food for me before my 7am either. I want my body to burn fat, not to run on whatever is entering my bloodstream from my digestive system: ) I have breakfast about 20 minutes after workout, it's a protein shake and cereal with milk.

It doesn't work like that. Your body won't burn extra fat just because you workout before eating. Let's say you burn 2000 calories a day. Now, let's say you workout early in the morning before eating, then eat 1500 calories for the day. Your body burns fat while you exercise, then runs off the food you eat and burns less fat the rest of the day. The result? You burned 500 calories of stored fat to make up the energy deficit. Now, alternately, you eat breakfast and then workout. You still eat 1500 calories for the day, but your body runs off the food during your workout, then burns more fat throughout the day to make up the energy deficit. The result? You burned 500 calories of stored fat.

It's completely personal preference, neither way is right or wrong. I just don't want you thinking you're somehow burning more fat doing it one way or the other, because it doesn't work like that.