Confusing food calories...

Options
Wingg_
Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
I've got hong kong dim sum steam BBQ pork bun ( char siew bao) at home bought from the restaurant and when I search for its calories it varies greatly! Some says 206 per bun while some says 150-160per bun while the Singapore hawker one says 363 cal (120g) but a steamed BBQ bun weighs far lesser than that. When I went to search for its calories online and found out that in the HongKong gov. Website it says 3 buns are 450 cal... I'm so confused now. What should I do? Should I just log 1 bun for 207 cal or the 150cal or use the Singapore hawker's and weight my bun? Or simply use HongKong gov.'s? Or maybe I should just not eat the bun :sad:

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Just use the 207 and call it a day. This isn't something you are eating from the restaurant everyday is it? If not, then don't sweat one day.

ETA: It's hard to really get too accurate on things that come from restaurants unless they list the calories of their menu items. You don't know the exact ingredients used and the buns differ from sizes. I've had them as small as big as my fist and then there are ones I've had that were double that size. Unless this is a constant/daily thing, don't worry about it.
  • TemeraldMarie
    TemeraldMarie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ugg i hate that! So irritating....
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Just use the 207 and call it a day. This isn't something you are eating from the restaurant everyday is it? If not, then don't sweat one day.

ETA: It's hard to really get too accurate on things that come from restaurants unless they list the calories of their menu items. You don't know the exact ingredients used and the buns differ from sizes. I've had them as small as big as my fist and then there are ones I've had that were double that size. Unless this is a constant/daily thing, don't worry about it.

This may be the reason why I am not able to eat them daily... I shall do that! Thanks for the advice!! (:
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Ugg i hate that! So irritating....

Yes! I know right!! How I wish all restaurants have calories stated on their menu!
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    If the pork buns are something you want to eat daily or weekly, then you'll have to figure out an alternative.

You could try to make your own if you have the time. If not, how about store bought/frozen? It'll probably save you some money at the same time too :bigsmile:
  • Wingg_
    Options
    If the pork buns are something you want to eat daily or weekly, then you'll have to figure out an alternative.

You could try to make your own if you have the time. If not, how about store bought/frozen? It'll probably save you some money at the same time too :bigsmile:

Never thought of that before... Maybe I should try! Thanks a lot!!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

No prob. I love those things too :D I eat them as often as I can (which isn't all that often, unfortunately, because I have to order them. They don't have where I live :cry:)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    450 divided by 3?
  • Wingg_
    Options

No prob. I love those things too :D I eat them as often as I can (which isn't all that often, unfortunately, because I have to order them. They don't have where I live :cry:)

Cause my dad is a chef so he brings back when we want him too bad he is not the dim sum person otherwise I could've asked him the ingredients used to make the bun.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    450 divided by 3?

I'm afraid that I'll be underestimating the calories because I'm trying to figure out my maintenance caloric intake now...
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Cause my dad is a chef so he brings back when we want him too bad he is not the dim sum person otherwise I could've asked him the ingredients used to make the bun.

There you go!!! Yeah, ask him and then you can log it as a recipe to get a better idea of the cal count :D
  • campdawson
    campdawson Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    450 divided by 3?

Exactly--
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    450 divided by 3?

Exactly--

I don't understand how this is exactly. Did you notice the other #s that she was running into?
  • Wingg_
    Options

There you go!!! Yeah, ask him and then you can log it as a recipe to get a better idea of the cal count :D

He is not in-charge of making it... ): he is the chef...
  • PikaKnight
    Options

But he should still know the recipe, measurements, etc.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I'm dare not to use the lower cal info because I'm afraid I will be underestimating the cal I'm consuming ... That's what causing my the headache..
  • Wingg_
    Options

But he should still know the recipe, measurements, etc.

I shall try! If not I should just make it myself! I believe making it myself will be much more healthier! ^^
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I'm dare not to use the lower cal info because I'm afraid I will be underestimating the cal I'm consuming ... That's what causing my the headache..

I'm not sure I understand. Are you undereating? I know that can trigger my migraines. What is your calorie goal set to?
  • Wingg_
    Options

I'm not sure I understand. Are you undereating? I know that can trigger my migraines. What is your calorie goal set to?

I'm not under eating I just want to maintain my weight. My calorie goal is 1440 on MFP I set activity level to sedentary and eat back my exercise calorie but I have no idea how much cal I burn so I eat back 20cal per 30min..