Exercise videos for obese people!

Options
Hey there!

Am looking for some exercise DVD's for a friend that are suitable for people who are obese and or new to exercising. Please don't suggest walking/etc as she already does those things, but is uncomfortable hitting a gym right now and would prefer to do DVD's at home.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• flyinghighPAO
    flyinghighPAO Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't know about DVDs but there are a wide variety of workout videos online for every level of fitness that are free. I came across this one that may be suitable:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSZj19AUU5I
    There are also many more that your friend could try, just search things such as beginner cardio or low impact aerobic exercise. I think online videos are way better than DVDs because if you don't like one, you didn't pay anything for it and you don't ever have to feel the need to do it another day-you can always find a new one the next day. It makes it more easy to mix it up and get variety!
    I wish your friend the best of luck in finding workouts for home and I hope she feels comfortable enough with herself soon to be able to do whatever she feels best doing-whether that be workout at home still or try a gym!
  • kwyze
    kwyze Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I like the Jillian Michaels ones - 30 day shred might be a good place to start (I am doing Ripped in 30 but I think 30DS is meant to be a bit easier if your just getting into them).
    There are modifiers on there to show how people can do the exercises when they are just starting out and then can progress to the more advanced version.
    I like that there is a good mix of strength and cardio.
  • mikayla169
    mikayla169 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I weigh 267lbs, and am on day 4 of the 30 Day Shred. Although the first 2 days were pretty hard going, I got through them ok and was still feeling well enough to continue the next day and so forth.

Although I am obese, I am also relatively fit as I practically walk everywhere and I have a 15 month old to run around, but, I would recommend this DVD as I hadn't worked out properly for a year or so, and it wasn't bad enough to floor me! As it's only 20 minute daily intervals it ends just as it becomes really difficult!
  • kitticus15
    kitticus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The Firm do some good ones that do a sort of interval training that is good slim in 30 I think it is not sure of the name but that was the first one I ever did and I was so proud getting to the end, plus its this hiit that all the experts are raving about :)

plus I am fit but obese and now at the gym :)
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    ChaLean Extreme from Beachbody.

Has a smattering of everything you might want. Cardio, Resistance/Weights, Intervals, Stretch/Yoga/Pilates.

It has a lot of modifications (for those who cannot jump. And for those who must use lighter weights or resistance bands) can be done and repeated endlessly, if you ask me.

Its only a five-day a week program.

If you stick to the diet regiment, which is cut diet of high protein, low carb, moderate dietary fats you will be surprised by the results.

Average dvd time is 35 minutes to 50 minutes.
  • jessikabrook
    jessikabrook Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Person in question is about 330 pounds. Swimming is about all they can do for cardio right now as they get really sore joints from exercising - walking and anything else pretty much causes a lot of pain (please forgo the whole 'no results without pain!!!!!" because some people need to be rehabbed into exercise and this is the case). Thanks for the links to videos all, I will show them to my friend and hopefully they do some good :)
  • philippa65
    philippa65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hasfit.com has loads of free work outs including low impact beginners to super advanced.
  • stefsc1
    stefsc1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm just a smidge above your friend's weight, and have had good luck with Zumba videos found on Youtube. I don't do most of the leg movements because it's hard on my knees, but instead go above and beyond on any hip/stomach/arm movements, and try to incorporate any leg movements that are comfortable. I always want my workouts to stop around 20 minutes, but can get to 30 minutes if I really want it. I've done Zumba about 2-3 times a week for a month now.

I've also tried the 30-Day Shred, and can only get through about the first 10 minutes right now. I did that two days in a row, and my legs have been super sore for two days afterward. The 'good' sore, but still.
  • Samthefrog
    Samthefrog Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I too was a water exerciser and didn't think I could make it on land because I'm in your friend's weight range. But I have found that Leslie Sansone's Walking videos have been pretty good. You can find some of them on YouTube and if your friend likes them, you can buy them for like $9 at Walmart, which was a pleasant surprise. You can totally go at your own pace: they come in one, two, three and five "mile" amounts that range in 30 minute to 1 hour 15 minute-ish workouts. And you can go at your own pace, she keeps saying over and over again. No fancy moves. No jumping or hopping (trust me, I need to keep one foot on the floor at all times). My knees and ankles have mostly been okay. I'm actually up to the three mile video now.

Just out of curiosity, are you helping your friend look because she asked for some suggestions?
  • tracywintn
    Options
    I'm not sure what the video was called or how intense it is but I saw a Jane Fonda video on Amazon Prime yesterday and she had chairs and I think hand weights. I turned it off when I saw the chairs but it may be a good place for your friend to start. I also saw a kickboxing one that would be good-it didn't have a lot of high impact moves if I remember right.
  • jessikabrook
    jessikabrook Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah she asked for my help :) I would never push something onto someone they didnt initiate themselves! xx
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    if she likes water based and feels it easier most pools have aqua aerobics, the class i went to there were several people there very overweight and just did what they could.