spinning. how many cals burned

Options
Mfp doesn't have a set entry for spinning. I don't have an hrm. I did an hour class. I'd say I worked moderately hard to fairly hard. What would a conservative estimate of caps burned be? I am 41, female, 5'8 & 175 lbs. Thx.

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Check under 'stationary bike'.

Moderately hard? Maybe 7 calories per minute.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It varies wildly from person to person...you're not going to get any kind of exacting answer here. Really, though, less than you think. I agree with the above that "moderate effort" would probably be around 7-8 calories per minute. It is difficult to burn more than 10 calories per minute which would be a vigorous effort...most people can't sustain anything beyond that for too long...of course, you may burn a few more per minute depending on you level of overweightness.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for spinning in the MFP data base :-)
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thx. I figure walking for an hour burns about 400 for me so perhaps spinning is a bit more. I'm in good cardio shape from decades of exercising but spinning is new for me. Its hard for me to get my heart rate above 150 unless I'm jogging it sprinting, and then hard to sustain that high of a heart rate. I'll enter around 400 caps burned. Thx..
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    400 seems very conservative IMO.

As a comparison I'm 5'9", 168lbs and very fit aerobically (low resting and max heartrate) and my HRM gives me a burn from 600 (moderate) to 800 (hard workout) for each hour of training on a Spinning bike.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I found spinning on the webstie and it showed 556 cals. For some reason spinning is not on the app on my phone.