Crazy work schedule...how do I fit in time to exercise?

Options
Hey y'all! I was hoping someone could help me out with an issue I have been having with trying to find time to work out.

I'm currently working through an AmeriCorps national volunteer service program, which is pretty emotionally and physically demanding. I wake up at 4:30 am to catch my bus at 5:30, only to be able to finally come home at around 8pm. I usually knock out at around 9:30pm in order to recharge and get enough sleep for the work day. I work with sixth graders all day, which is pretty exhausting in itself. I used to try to run around my block as soon as I got home from work, but it's more difficult now since it gets darker sooner and I don't live in a particularly safe neighborhood. I'm also struggling with being able to pay for a gym membership.

Anyone have any tips as how to make FITNESS work? Thanks!

Replies

• bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Anything will help. I am quite familiar with a crazy work schedule- I travel a lot for my job as well so I am not often at home. I think its finding anything at works for you. During your work day do you get a break, can you take a walk? Can you walk to a bus stop that is a little further away? just try to move at all. And you can find some good workout videos online that are free (on youtube) that you can try until the winter gets through. But exercise is only half of it. Maybe during this hard time to find time to exercise, work on lowering how many calories you eat. Best of luck
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    sounds like you are on your feet most of the time during the day....you walk around a lot? if yes then what you might want to do is 1 high intensity session of short - something like 10 or 15mins..
    if you spend the day sitting behind a desk and you dont get a lunch break or some time of at least 45mins then it sounds to be very difficult to do some exercise during the week.

I have a crazy work schedule as well. I am based in Australia but work with people in Asia, UK and US. I usually do 3hrs of work on the computer between 7am and 10am then either go for a training session, or cycle or do something active until 1 or 2pm or so. Then work again -sitting- from 2pm until 8pm. Sometimes I can work the normal 9am to 5pm and on those days I go to the gym for a high intensity workout from 6pm til 8pm..then get home at 830pm and crash :)
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred workouts are only 20 minutes long, 27 counting warm up and cool down, and the dvd is only about $9 on amazon, including shipping.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight, you need to sort out your diet.

Exercise is healthy and is fitness, but if you want to lose weight, you only need to accurately track you calories and eat less then your TDEE. You are really busy and if you add yet more to your day, you might actually find it counterproductive, because you really struggle keeping it up. You clearly are not sedentary if you work with kids and catch the bus to work. Once your diet is established and you find some extra time here or there you can do workouts through youtube or similar.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest getting a FitBit or something like that so you can track your calories burned during the day just being on your feet and being active at work then eat at a deficit tracking your calories consumed on here. If you do that you should lose weight without having to carve out time for "real" exercise. Then just workout for an hour or so on your days off as a "bonus" if you like.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    what are you doing at 4am in the morning?... or just go at 8pm and sleep after :) i'm sure you'd sleep much better
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Check put Fitnessblender.com for some really great HIIT videos that can be as short as 10 minutes. Get up 10 minutes earlier, do one. Do 10 minutes of one of their strength workouts when you get home. Maybe throw in a 5 minute ab video. Squeeze it in where you can.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Fitness is like financially success: few people ever FIND it.

They work for it. You will never just "find" time to work out. You have to make time for it- often that means sacrificing- most people sacrifice sleep- some family time.

But you have to make the time- it's not just going to magically appear- once you figure that out- you'll figure out a way to make it work.

10-15 minute HIIT sessions as mentioned are great. I would definitely start there.