Ouch!

Options
I could use some help. Today is my one week anniversary. I've stayed below my calories, I worked out every day, and my check in today shows I have lost .1 pound. Seriously? What am I doing wrong? My diary is open, and I could really use some advise. It hard not to be discouraged...

EDIT: diary opened

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, but if you are new to working out, your body is quite possibly retaining extra water. It's discouraging to see on the scale but actually a good thing.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    its 1 week. give it time.

track accurately (weigh your food) and stay at a healthy cal range- it will come off. consistency is key (which i struggle with a lot- but when im consistent- i lose)
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What are you banging on about?
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. You won't always lose at a consistent rate. Next week, you might find you've lost more than you expect. Check that you are weighing/measuring your food accurately (digital food scales being more accurate than cups etc) and tracking everything. I see lots of "1 serving" and "generic" in your diary. Are these entries that you've created yourself or are you picking user added entries from the database? If you're using recipes added by other people, then obviously these could be very inaccurate and you could be eating more than you think.

If you've suddenly started exercising or started exercising more than you were before, water retention could be masking fat loss on the scale. If you are tracking your calories accurately, then it appears you're actually undereating by quite a bit, and water retention would be a likely issue.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't have a lot of weight to lose, so it's really important to track accurately.

Your diary looks like you are eye-balling portions. It's important to weigh your food on a scale.

Here, read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    One week? Not nearly enough time, come back in a month.

0.1 pound? Your weight can fluctuate up to 3 pounds each day. Using the number on the scale is a very unreliable measure.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    All of the above, and eat back your exercise calories. Then give it a few weeks as posted. Nothing in this world worth having is instant I'm afraid!
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I needed a reality check
    It's only been a week, so it's too soon to get discouraged. I need to suck it up and just keep working :)
    If the situation hasn't changed in a month, I'll come back and whine, but for now I'll go work out...
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    As others have said, one week is nothing. Stick with it, track consistently, weighing and measuring foods whenever possible. Eat your cals, drink water, exercise, get good sleep, take rest days, and have patience.

Also, be prepared to see ups and downs on the scale, and don't let it mess with your head. Better than the scale - grab a tape measure and your camera, start taking your measurements and progress photos. These are much better ways to gauge progress than just the scale.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I agree it's probably water retention if you just started working out. And you do need to be mare accurate in your food entries. Finally your protein is all over the place and mostly low if you are strength training. MFP sets your protein really low. Also make sure you get at least 8 glasses of water a day, preferably more. Your muscles need water to repair after workouts.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Here's a clue: listen to the Sam Felton experiment podcast as stated in the first post of this string.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1152466-what-s-your-view-on-calories-in-vs-calories-out-theory

Or go here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sam-feltham/

Hint: its the fat
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I could use some help. Today is my one week anniversary. I've stayed below my calories, I worked out every day, and my check in today shows I have lost .1 pound. Seriously? What am I doing wrong? My diary is open, and I could really use some advise. It hard not to be discouraged...

EDIT: diary opened

You're upset because you lost only point one pound the first week of trying out a new eating plan?

Seriously, there is nothing wrong here. Be patient.