First day of excersing and sereve pain

Options
I just joined this site today, so far I am finding it very cool and helpful. I havent been that active in about year and half. I walked for 5 mins at 3.5(speed)..I tried starting out slow, then moving up from there. Anyways I had severe pain during and after, it was throbbing in the ankles/ankles back area. Is this normal, Maybe its because I haven't really exercised in a very long time? Any advice would be great, Thanks

Replies

• frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    One thought: maybe you need different shoes?
  • frood
    Options
    As in, maybe your natural stride doesn't match what your shoes are built for and you need to find something that fits you in the right way for the way you walk. That's my best guess for pain after only 5 minutes, unless you have some kind of injury.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I'd look at the shoes, too. Also, go slower if you need to. There's no rush. Eventually you'll be able to push yourself to faster speeds. But if just walking for 5 min gave you ankle and low back pain, my money is on the shoes....and weak muscles. But you'll work your way up to strengthening those muscles. Get some decent shoes, asap.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I just joined this site today, so far I am finding it very cool and helpful. I havent been that active in about year and half. I walked for 5 mins at 3.5(speed)..I tried starting out slow, then moving up from there. Anyways I had severe pain during and after, it was throbbing in the ankles/ankles back area. Is this normal, Maybe its because I haven't really exercised in a very long time? Any advice would be great, Thanks

Sounds normal, yes... When I started out, walking any sort of distance would kill my ankles. Keeping at it and keeping it slow for starters will help you build into it, and make sure you've got good shoes.. They can make a world of difference.

You can also look at adding in some body-weight strength training to strengthen some of the stabilizing muscles, and some basic yoga to increase flexibility.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    It sounds like a stride and flexibility issue. Look into shoes and stretching.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    severe pain during or directly after exercise isn't normal (aching muscles the day after is normal, but not directly after)

if you're not used to exercise, it's possible that you just did too much too soon. It may not seem like much but if you have a lot of weight to lose and you're really not used to exercise at all, you may need to start even slower and build up. It's also a good idea to get checked over by a doctor before exercising. There may be medical issues that make some kinds of exercise not advisable for you (or something to wait until you've built up your fitness and lost more weight before beginning). It's possible that the pain is just from overdoing it, but it's also possible there's an injury or medical issue that's causing the pain. So it's a good idea to see a doctor. Also, exercising in water puts less strain on the joints, so that might be a better way to start, until your body gets used to exercise again.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sounds normal, yes... When I started out, walking any sort of distance would kill my ankles. Keeping at it and keeping it slow for starters will help you build into it, and make sure you've got good shoes.. They can make a world of difference.

You can also look at adding in some body-weight strength training to strengthen some of the stabilizing muscles, and some basic yoga to increase flexibility.

I agree. Had the same experience when I first started out with just walking a year ago. Now I can jog/run 3.1 miles and don't feel that type of pain anymore. Just go slow. Stretch a lot pre and post walk, don't be in a rush to finish or go faster. You'll just stress your body out and it won't perform for you.

Do look into getting fitted for proper shoes at a running store where they check your gait and your feet.
  • userh6478
    userh6478 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I think you guys are right, btw the way don't laugh too much and saying why the heck would you do that? I was idiot and after reading some of these posts on this site, I just had my slippers on and I did my walking with slippers on, so that might of been the major problem there, Next time I will definitely stretch and take it slower and wear the RIGHT shoes.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you would have severe pain from 5 minutes of walking for exercise. Don't you have to walk in life at all? Why didn't it present then? 3.5 mph isn't fast and you're not old or obese. I'm not doubting you, just confused. Were you on a treadmill? Did you grasp the bars? Was it an old, non-electric type?
  • Minxy103
    Options
    LOL!! Slippers? You walked with slippers on? HA!HA!
  • userh6478
    Options
    It was probably because I was wearing slippers..Also I was on electric treadmill, we have had it awhile, but I think it works fine.
  • frood
    Options
    Yes I think you guys are right, btw the way don't laugh too much and saying why the heck would you do that? I was idiot and after reading some of these posts on this site, I just had my slippers on and I did my walking with slippers on, so that might of been the major problem there, Next time I will definitely stretch and take it slower and wear the RIGHT shoes.
    I walk in barefeets or fivefingers shoes. It doesn't work for everyone, though. No hate. :flowerforyou:
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Listen, when I started out just over a year ago, I worked out for 2 minutes and couldn't move for three days. That is how out of shape I was. If you are overweight and out of shape, this is going to hurt. But it's a good hurt! Just take it real easy.

My first workout was "get ups" and "pick ups".

Get ups are simply, sitting in a stable strong chair, and then getting up out of it. Sit down, get up. Try working up to 3 sets of 25.

Pick ups are standing, placing a water bottle on the floor in front of you, bending down and picking it up, to your chin, then putting it back down but not letting go, just picking it back up again. Pick it up to your chin, put it down, touch the ground, pick it back up. 3 sets of 25.

Shoes not required. ;)
  • userh6478
    Options
    Thank you soo much for this very helpful suggestions, I think that sounds really good. I am definitely going to take your advice and do these exercises. Thank you for your time and writing this.
    Listen, when I started out just over a year ago, I worked out for 2 minutes and couldn't move for three days. That is how out of shape I was. If you are overweight and out of shape, this is going to hurt. But it's a good hurt! Just take it real easy.

My first workout was "get ups" and "pick ups".

Get ups are simply, sitting in a stable strong chair, and then getting up out of it. Sit down, get up. Try working up to 3 sets of 25.

Pick ups are standing, placing a water bottle on the floor in front of you, bending down and picking it up, to your chin, then putting it back down but not letting go, just picking it back up again. Pick it up to your chin, put it down, touch the ground, pick it back up. 3 sets of 25.

Shoes not required. ;)