Rest Days

Options
im 20, 5'0", 95lbs

my goal is to build a big bum and i started weight training 3 weeks ago with a personal trainer. ive never worked out prior to the past 3 weeks so for the first 2 weeks, i was building up enough stregnth for me to finally get on barbell squats and deadlifts.

my trainer has been great but im not so sure about his advice with train as much as i can unless if im really sore. he said i could alternate the programs hes written up for me every day but all of the programs mainly focus on my legs/glutes. there are some exercises for my arms and back, but not as intense as my leg/glutes exercises.

anyways, when i started, i trained like 4-5 days straight but for the past week ive been training every other day because i was getting tired. how many days should i rest and when should i rest ? what's the best way to see results fast?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    There is no blanket answer.

Overworked muscles are individualized.

General rule is to give a day of rest per major muscle group. Some people(newer) can get best results in working each group once a week. Some can work them 3-4 depending on the exercises and see greater results.

I squat three times a week and run 6-7 day at 4-12 miles a clip with some cycling pedaled in there. Yet I still get strength and muscle gains.

Sounds like your trainer gave you what you stated you wanted. The key to lifting is patience and work the program for a while. If its not for you find a program that is. Results come from proper eating, lifting, and rest. Concentrate on these three things and you will see results.