Dealing with a physical disability?

Options
2»

Replies

• aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I was in a car accident when I was 3 and the damage that I had (brain) meant that my right side was slightly stunted while developing. So even now, at 26, my right side is much much smaller and weaker than my left. My calves are about 2 inches different right now. Working out makes me aware of just how much weaker my right side is. I don't like anything that reminds me of that because I hate feeling weak, but also my mom didn't make it when we had the accident. I've had a few surgeries because of the troubles it's caused too. But even though it sucked, I was lucky enough to have my insurance cover my physical therapy all through my underage years. Before I left to go to college, my physical therapist (who had been with me almost my whole life at that point) gave me a routine. I played sports all through high school (which is such a triumph since I wasn't even supposed to walk again), and had trouble with the weaker side. So she created this routine to really strengthen me for that. She adjusted it a little when I hurt my knee show jumping (I actually had to quit riding, I was very upset), but it was still similar and didn't take more time. So it's great to add on to my workout routines now! So I would really consider going to see someone who can help you that way. Maybe it was just my case, but they not only helped me physically, but helped me mentally. Being unable to do "normal" things can really get you down. But I loved my therapist because she knew just what to say to keep pushing me, but not making me feel weak. The one thing that was drilled into me from an early age was that I was stronger than my physical setbacks. I don't always feel like it, the more I push through it, the softer that negative inner voice is. Just keep at and remind yourself that it might not ever be easy, but it will be worth it.