4 years + 0 meat = -100lbs

Options
richars65
richars65 Posts: 26 Member
Four years ago, as a man at the age of 22, I quietly stopped eating meat and began a life-changing process. Along with meat I gave up drugs, cigarettes, and my sedentary lifestyle, and began exercising 5-7 times per week. At the beginning of this journey I found myself depressed, alone, and topping 335lbs. My four-year meatless anniversary is coming up in October, 2010, and today I weigh 228lbs.

I've never taken a diet pill; I've never gone on a "plan;" I simply haven't eaten a piece of animal protein in the entire time. I learned to accept the small sacrifices of fat-free sour cream, egg white omelettes, and seitan lunch meat. However, most importantly, I've found ways of exercising that have been incorporated into my life. I now have two dogs that need at least 2 miles per day of walking. I also sold my car and bought a road bike, my primary means of transportation. I've found the balance and relief that comes from a solid workout or a relaxing yoga practice. I am so grateful every day that I can buy clothes from normal stores, hike 10 miles if I want, or go run for half an hour without my joints aching and lungs collapsing.

After watching every single member of my immediate family acquire obesity-related type-II diabetes, I am terrified that I'm headed in that direction. At 228lbs and 6'0" tall, I am still obese. I know the weight I carry around my waist is a risk-factor every day for my heart and circulatory system.

I joined this site to finally try and make my push to the sub-200 category, the second drop in the hundreds column, and a weight I haven't seen since I was in 7th grade. After four years it's a struggle to channel the same motivation I had in the beginning. I hope that through holding myself accountable and putting forth the effort to really watch what I'm putting in my body, I can crest that final wave and maybe drop into a weight that steers me away from the track genetics and poor family patterns have put me on.

I wish you all luck on your journeys. It is so worth it and it's truly possible. Just remember there is no finish line. This is a journey of life, one that continues beyond weight goals. It's more than a change of diet, it's a change of life!

Replies

• Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    All I can say is WOW............................you are awesome!
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    AWESOME job! Congrats on your weight loss thus far, and kudos for taking matters into your own hands rather than letting things get out of control, and doing it the right way. Keep up the awesome work, and happy anniversary in advance!
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    YOU ARE MY DAY'S HERO! You should be very proud of your accomplishments. You have come to the right place for support!!

Good luck....and welcome! :drinker:
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    Good for you~~you should be very proud~~keep the flow
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow just wow! Thank you for sharing your story. It gives a lot of people hope.
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    That is just totaly fantastic! x
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!! That's amazing, what a great accomplishment. You'll love this site great support and motivation.
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Oh wow!! This is amazing. Reading this is such a great motivation to me and I am sure to a lot of other people.
  • Sarah101010
    Options
    I think you have come to the right place. With all of these supportive people "around you" and these great forums you should find a lot of support. Also, you will find many people that you have a lot in common with. Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have no doubt that in another year (or much sooner) you will be where you want to be and will have found balance, peace, and even greater health. Congratulations on all that you have accomplished this far and all that is to come. :smile:
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    WOW. You are an inspiration that people really can change.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!