Bulking

Options
I'm new to bulking and just wanted to know how long have you all bulked for? I just started two weeks ago. Trying to figure out how long I should bulk for. I know everyone is different but trying to get a general idea for myself. Thanks in advance!☺

Replies

• thinklivebefree
    thinklivebefree Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Its depends on how long you've been training but I would say you should run a bulk for about no shorter than 12 weeks, keep in mind you want to keep tabs on the amount of lbs yours gaining per week aim for no more than 1-2lbs/week and EAT!!!!! LOL obviously you're going to gain fat but if you run a clean bulk you can minimize the fat
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Its depends on how long you've been training but I would say you should run a bulk for about no shorter than 12 weeks, keep in mind you want to keep tabs on the amount of lbs yours gaining per week aim for no more than 1-2lbs/week and EAT!!!!! LOL obviously you're going to gain fat but if you run a clean bulk you can minimize the fat

Everything he said. I started my bulk Aug 1 at 164 12%BF..currently 187 so I've put on about 1.5lb per week
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's great advice. So 3 months would be good. I'm trying to eat 2600 calories or more everyday. I'm also trying to eat as clean as possible. What type of exercise do you guys do?
  • Amadbro
    Amadbro Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Thanks that's great advice. So 3 months would be good. I'm trying to eat 2600 calories or more everyday. I'm also trying to eat as clean as possible. What type of exercise do you guys do?

Look into a 5x5 program like Mark Riptoes Starting Strength or Stronglifts. After you get your form down on these compound lifts, you can check out an intermediate 5x5 like Madcow. Just google them. Aim for 250 over maintenance, trust me that's all you'll need as a lean female. Most people bulk for 6 months or even a year but 3 months is fine too, just evaluate after 3 months and you always have the option to keep going. Muscle is very slow to put on and fat is really easy to get rid of so don't be afraid of putting on a little chub :D

Alot of these lifts may seem intimidating but trust me compound lifts will add lean mass to you like there's no tomorrow. Alot of women are scared of these lifts because they think they will turn them into big gorillas or something when it couldn't be any further from the truth.

From the looks of it you have a really strong base and are at a great starting point for a clean bulk. Good luck
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I started bulking in September and plan to go to the end of January; I'm on pretty much the same intake as you :) If you're interested, there's a group for women who are currently bulking, it's pretty active! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51470-women-who-bulk
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amad! That is great information going to use it and hope to get the body I want! Thanks cmeirun I'm going to look into it!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I usually go 3-4 months at a time. Long enough to see good progress, short enough that the fat gain isn't a big deal.

Going to try shorter durations/higher frequency cutting starting after the holidays, but I don't that that is best for a beginner.