Weight Lifting for the First Time - Tips please!!

Options
Hello everyone, Melly here. So I'm starting the Jamie Eason 12 Week LiveFit Trainer Program on Bodyspace.com (on Tuesday) and besides dumbbells up to 10lbs I am completely new to lifting, granted I can lift my 80-some pound brother for more than a few seconds, but that's besides the point.

Anyways... just any and all tips you have for this beginner would be greatly appreciated :smile:

And I'm sure sharing my stats will help:
Height: 5'2"
SW: 183lbs (March'12)
CW: 155lbs
LW: 142.2lbs (August '13)
GW1: 145lbs (highest weight to join Air Force at my height)
GW2: 136lbs (highest "healthy" weight for my height
UGW: anywhere from 120 - 125lbs
BF%: 30-33, the range from all the online calculators

Replies

• aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I did a lot and I mean a lot of research online for exercises, form, how much, how often, ect. It all depends on your ultimate goal. Mine is to gain a lot of muscle so I lift heavy. However, you have to get your form under control before you do anything. It took me a couple of months before I really started to get comfortable and knew what I was doing without standing around trying to think of what I wanted to work on. I usually plan my week out on what I want to work out and on what day. I rotate upper, lower, and cardio.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The best tips I can give you are to slowly progress on your weights and ensure you're doing everything to maintain proper form. Watching Youtube videos helps as well as reading descriptions of the exercises from well known trainers.

You may see an increase on the scale, but don't be alarmed, that is normal.
  • cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to have someone show you how to do the basics. Build your foundation first with someone who is experienced. When I first started I tried doing it by reading books and watching youtube videos, but, found it was difficult putting those into practice. Especially when in the process of doing a lift and then saying "Nope, nope, somethings not right...". I ended up contacting a trainer at the local gym and paid for a session to have him show me basic lifts (dead lift, front/back squat, cleans and then he threw in this damn thing called a bear complex which i despise). He spent about an hour and a half with me, and it was a little pricey BUT it saved a ton of frustration and probably some medical bills lol. I'd had my bar for a month before contacting him and wasn't really getting anywhere with it, once he showed me how to do it right progress started flying into motion. Once you get the basics down, then that's when youtube and books come in handy because you can look up all kinds of crazy things people do to shake things up.
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to have someone show you how to do the basics. Build your foundation first with someone who is experienced.
    I've been going to Crunch gym as a guest on my friend's plan but am about to sign up myself, and with the sign up I get one free personal training session so I will definitely be sure to ask for help on the basic lifts, thank you!
  • mellyish
    mellyish Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Now for some nutrition tips, the only thing I really know is have at least 1g of protein per pound I weigh and take a multi-vitamin which I honestly don't take as regularly as I should. What about protein powders? Ah so many questions haha.
  • tricksee
    tricksee Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to remain consistent.
    Ensure you get rest. It's just as, if not more important than what you do in the gym.
    Progress! Don't lift the same weight over and over. Your body adapts to the workload.
    Seek advice on Youtube.
    Don't lose motivation.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to buy the book Starting Strength and read it.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Protein powders is a nice SUPPLEMENT to getting your protein requirements in. Lots of people have difficulty getting that macro in. If you decide to take a supplemental protein powder, generally people recommend to take the powder within an hour of the weight lifting session. There are many powders out there, various qualitys and tastes, if on a budget the cheap wal mart brands are fine.
    Mike
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You'll be doing a set program there, so I expect all the exercises will be listed for you. I'd just say concentrate on getting your form right early on, and look for demos on YouTube or Bodybuilding.com's video database if you need to.

As far as diet goes, you'll be fine just keeping it high protein (as you mentioned) while staying inside your calorie goal range.

Just as an aside, I'd also say you might want to think about transitioning to something like Stronglifts after your 12 week program. A program like that can grow with you, and people tend to outpace 3 month programs in... well, a few months. :D
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to buy the book Starting Strength and read it.
    This.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you decide to take a supplemental protein powder, generally people recommend to take the powder within an hour of the weight lifting session.

Myth. There is no real science behind this.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    The absolute most important things with weight lifting is that FORM IS EVERYTHING. I'd recommend once you find your routine, do a whole week with less weight than you'd need, but do it with perfect form. Get the move right, then add in the weight.
  • cjs1179
    Options
    Hi!! YAYY I love it! I've done the program twice (first time only til phase 3 because school began and I didn't have time to be at the gym when the workouts got beyond an hr) but this time around I'm in week 5 and I FINALLY REALIZE WHY PEOPLE STRESS WEIGHTS!!

I always felt like cardio was best because it burns calories...but wow does weight lifting shape your body in a different way- i love it! sorry I'm bad on stats- i never took time to do measurements...to me what matters most is how you feel and I def feel a difference.

Tip? Just follow Jamie's workouts. I didn't do the diet plan because I don't think diets are realistic and I hate being that girl at the barbeque who has to turn down everything so I just track via myfitnesspal :).