hip & bone spurs = daily morphine. Roll with me?

Options
Brother had a bike crash few years back. As a result he now can't do much in formal exercise. We've been going to archery recently, but anything that involves standing or walking over long periods wipes out.. Any ideas for alternatives?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Ask a doctor?

Lol! No s**t Sherlock!.. but we are talking 7yr in & just looking for low impact ideas. Cheers anyways ;-)
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Swimming, weight lifting, rowing machine, one of the arm bike type things?
  • johan1585
    johan1585 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Swimming makes a realy high burn vs realy low impact
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    My deepest sympathy and respect for dealing with the everyday burden of pain.

I have had a condition called reflex sympathetic dystrophy since 1997 and this year have being diagnosed with Lupus, each carry a significant loading of daily pain that requires major opiate type drugs to give any quality of life.

Swimming has been mentioned and if you are able to cope with that go for it.....I struggle due to neck issues so getting my freestyle, breaststroke going hasn't been a happening thing. As with all chronic pain conditions work within your fatigue limits.....this has been a constant battle for me due to being stubborn.

Perhaps look into getting your Doctor to refer you to a hydrotherapy programme, where a physiotherapist can help tailor make an exercise programme to suit your needs. As you get fitter and stronger these can be changed and as this is finally happening for me I have added in an aquarobics session, still supervised by physios but more demanding. Hydrotherapy pools also offer the great advantage of being heated much higher than general pools which helps ease those sore muscles etc

Interestingly before all this I went from being extremely fit to barely making it from the bed - chair - then back to bed for months. Now after sticking at this I have been able to introduce some walking into my programme albeit much more limited but better than nothing.

Sending you my very best wishes
    Karen
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Find a local community pool. Any kind of water exercise should work. Water aerobics or deep water exercises are great for toning and very easy on the joints.
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My son just had surgery to correct a hip impingement and repair a labral tear. He's in PT right now and they have him doing strengthening/balancing routines at "land" therapy and cardio/strengthening/balancing at "water" therapy.

I'd try to stay away from weight bearing activities as that will only worsen the condition. Therefore, as many others have already said, your best bet is in the water. Many community pools offer deep water aerobics classes. I've done them myself and they can be quite challenging.

Best of luck to your brother. My son is 17 and doing well now, but it was a long, painful wait for surgery and the recovery is no picnic, either.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I have a bone spur and torn labrum in my right hip. Having surgery January 13th. For exercise, I have just really been focusing on upper body (pull-ups, push-ups, dips etc), core and walking. I feel your pain (pun intended)... best of luck.
  • negrorotary
    negrorotary Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    having hip surgery sept 30th, let me know how it went for you paleojoe