How to handle holiday food

Options
2»

Replies

• cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat immediately after walking in the doro because then I have a tendency to attack the food and then keep eating the whole time. If I wait an hour or two, prepare my plate, and then walk away and sit down or talk to someone I'm less likely to keep eating.

I also prefer wine so I eat less to accomodate the good wine at the family get togethers (I'm too cheap to buy good stuff for myself)

I try to eat a ton of vegetables with salsa.

I also try to get longer workouts in the day before and the day of...even just running an extra mile or two won't take very long and will allow me an extra glass of wine with no guilt.

Finally - I REALLY try to only eat the things that I know are only out around Christmas, like egg nog. I love egg nog. I LOVE it. So I'll eat/drink anything with it as I only have it once a year. My sister also usually makes something with lamb and I typically don't eat lamb so I'll make sure to eat hers. But whatever I bring I don't eat because I've had it before or will have it again throughout the year!
  • Saramelie
    Saramelie Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Here's a trick I use when offered food
    I look left and then I look right
    And Repeat
    Always works^

:laugh:
  • jess17587
    Options
    im really scared of holiday food but im going to guess and eat everything and my main line is going to be "eat everything in little bits" like a palm full
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I take a different approach than most: I drink the wine that's offered (within reason). I turn down the nog and all the sweet drinks.

I head toward the vegetables, cheese and meats. For ME (ymmv) it's easier not to have a cookie than to try to stop at 2 or 3. The same with chips and other crunchy carby things.
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Pick your treats carefully. For example, Icy Squares are only 60 calories per square and low in sugar too (for a chocolate).

I am not limiting my desserts and food this holiday but I am going to walk more to stay under my goal.
  • sreed016
    sreed016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Sweets are tough for me too but I will allow myself one of something I really want instead of freaking out and eating 15 of them if I try to deprive myself.

If I am eating out - I always look up the restaurant and decide what I am going to have ahead of time. That way I am not tempted to choose something with a bazaliion calories because it looks good on the menu.

Water Water Water too!

Good luck to you!
  • pgooderham1
    Options
    Well this is a challenge as i am T2 Diabetic and have to stay away from all those temping foods as well as not eat a lot because later i will pay for it ......PAIN! Which is from my IBS!
  • lmmenard78
    lmmenard78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I didn't over eat too much on Thanksgiving, but did have more then normal and my body wasn't use to that, so I had a bit of a food hangover the next day. Maybe I'll just remember that feeling when Christmas comes around :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it. I went on vacation to Florida, and was there for 2 weeks eating what ever the h*** I wanted and gained 5 lbs. 2 weeks later it is gone. Don't sweat it, just enjoy the holidays and then pick back up.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the food!!

Don't worry about the week or so of treats at the Holidays, worry about the other 51 weeks of the year.
  • love2read1220
    love2read1220 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "You'll have this again. It'll be here another time."

I love this and will use!!!

Being overwhelmed AND having sugar everywhere... not a good combo
  • titanium2012
    Options
    One particularly difficulty thing is at work when people bring in various holiday treats. So far this week, we've had cookies, brownies, candy etc. brought in every single day.

What I started doing this year is only eating things that I know will be really good. For example, if somebody makes delicious-looking chocolate chip cookies, I will pick one up. But if it's a tray of dry-looking store bought cookies I can let it go just by thinking "it's not worth it". I also take the food to my office instead of staying by the tray so I'm not as tempted to grab another one.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    One particularly difficulty thing is at work when people bring in various holiday treats. So far this week, we've had cookies, brownies, candy etc. brought in every single day.

What I started doing this year is only eating things that I know will be really good. For example, if somebody makes delicious-looking chocolate chip cookies, I will pick one up. But if it's a tray of dry-looking store bought cookies I can let it go just by thinking "it's not worth it". I also take the food to my office instead of staying by the tray so I'm not as tempted to grab another one.

I sympathize with this. The sweets in my office are overwhelming. This time of year my co-workers and clients bring in cookies, cakes, etc. I can't hurt their feelings and refuse to take the food, especially when they've baked it themselves and beautifully wrapped it. I try to throw it away or give it away, but always eat some of it.

This year I am trying something new: sugarless gum. I normally don't chew gum and stay away from aspartame, but the gum seems to be the lesser of two evils. It gives me a treat, is there for stress, and doesn't have a million calories.
  • kagevf
    kagevf Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i create a buffer before any holiday meal.
    try skipping breakfast, workout hard, eat a light lunch then enjoy the holiday gathering food.
    this works everytime but hard to do at first.