Beating myself up for not going to the gym..anyone relate?

Options
I was on a glorious 12 day spree of going to the gym. And then yesterday a combo of bad sleep, a little pre-cold and the TOM lethargy got to me and I didn't feel up to running my normal 3 miles.
I was about to just go to bed, but felt SO guilty (as if all my hard work would be reversed in ONE day) so I did some piss-poor strength training in my living room. I just couldn't stand to not have done something that day. (Plus I made a cake for co-workers and got a little carried away licking the batter, so I really felt bad).

Anyone have some mental tips or advice for not beating myself up for not working out everyday?? I feel like if I don't do some movement everyday, my motivation and results will stall...

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    The best advice I have ever heard is that you didn't gain the weight in one day and you won't lose it in one day. That can be extended to "You won't gain it back in one day."

My own advice? Call it a rest day and hit the gym today. You're doing great and you're going to be fine!

Hang in there!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    You might find the "search" tool in the forums helpful and full of answers to your questions. I see you've posted a couple common questions already this morning and you can find dozens of threads on those topics with a search.
  • leahhugh
    leahhugh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Beating myself up for stopping my workout regime.. UGH. Today I am back on it, though.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Just see it as a rest day and move on. Your body needs rest too!
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Stop beating yourself up. Go to the gym today. The next time you feel like not going, remember how you feel now. Move on.
  • tr66
    tr66 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been where you are at and know exactly how you feel. I remind myself that even God took a day off when He created the world and that I don't feel guilty when I missing a day of work either vacation or sick day. We all earn the right to rest every once in awhile. The fact you feel guilty about it only underscores your commitment and level of dedication which are very positive traits.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    You might find the "search" tool in the forums helpful and full of answers to your questions. I see you've posted a couple common questions already this morning and you can find dozens of threads on those topics with a search.

If everyone did this, there would never be a new post here ever. I'll continue posting and asking what I want. Thanks for sharing though.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    The fact you feel guilty about it only underscores your commitment and level of dedication which are very positive traits.

^^Never looked at it this way! Thanks
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I took a week off last week. I was starting to catch a cold and TOM so I was not feeling well and it was icy and dangerous to do my usual walking. Well the additional snow fall got me back into exercise ( I had to shovel and blow). I think I just needed a little rest but I know not to do it for more than a week.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    You need rest days, too.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you're feeling guilty for resting when you are worn down, you're thinking about it all wrong. Rest is an equally important part of the fitness equation. In fact, adequate rest can be seen as the most important part. Not getting adequate rest will cause a whole host of problems, inefficient metabolism (relying on quick glucose to maintain energy, with less fat burning,) reduced brain function, lack of muscle repair, elevated cortisol levels, depressed immune system, and on and on. Rest is just as vital as eating appropriately and exercising.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    rest days are an important part of an exercise regime...
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    But, that requires work and.....
    mower1.jpg
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    But, that requires work

Way too logical for MFP.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    But, that requires work

Way too logical for MFP.

Also, she wouldn't get any attention that way...
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way as you do. But, I realize that my body needs rest. On those, when I really don't want to go or dread going, I know it's best to rest and then the next day, I feel bad about not going, so I go! It's like a motivator for me to get back on track! I missed one day in 16, so I know what you mean. :) Good luck and you will stay on track! Keep going!

Megan:)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    But, that requires work

I guess once she is here for longer than a month she'll realize how annoying it can be to see the same topics posted everyday. Unless some of the more brutally honest members here get to her first, at least I tried to be helpful. :tongue:
  • rachelakai2
    rachelakai2 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Rest days are just as important as exercise and a healthy diet.
  • eugovogue
    Options
    But, that requires work

I guess once she is here for longer than a month she'll realize how annoying it can be to see the same topics posted everyday. Unless some of the more brutally honest members here get to her first, at least I tried to be helpful. :tongue:

If a few repeated posts annoys you so, then you have thin skin.
    Also--I'd love to see you trolling everyone else's repeating posts. They're so many of them every day. Looks like your policing doesn't really work.
    I'll do what I want.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    But, that requires work

Yeah and the. You can ***** about her bumping old topics.

If you have zero interest in a thread or have seen it posted countless time you can just skip it and not open you know