Need a workout regimen! PLEASE!

Options
Hello everybody! Let me tell you a little about my goals. Right now, I am 5 foot 8 and weigh around 235-240. I have ALWAYS been bigger and I'm ready to lose that. I am ready to have energy and go the extra mile to look and feel great. I really, really would appreciate if somebody out there could help me come up with an exercise regimen that would be good for losing around two pounds a week and burn fat. Please help!

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    First off, weight loss is based on a calorie deficit. You don't need exercise to do it, and exercise doesn't really have too much impact on it, other than to increase the deficit or allow you to maintain X deficit while eating more calories each day. That being said, here is my .02 on working out.

Running is great for burning calories and dropping weight. You might look into C25K, if your joints can handle it. If not, try power walking or working on an elliptical to start out for cardio. As for burning FAT, the best thing I've personally found is heavy lifting. I like New Rules of Lifting for Women (restarting it this week, in fact) but Starting Strength is another good book for lifting beginners.

But most importantly, it's about finding what you ENJOY. Personally, my favorite workout regiment before it got cold was C25K 2-3 days a week and lifting twice a week. It gave me plenty of days off (2-3 depending on if I combined a day) and I saw stellar changes in my body. But if I hated running or lifting, this would be a horrible workout for me. It's really all about what you enjoy and what your body and what you can handle right now. You want to push yourself, but you don't want to end up with an injury from doing too much too fast. And you don't want working out to be a miserable experience.
  • forgettingourforgiveness
    Options
    Thank you so much! I started the C25K a couple months ago and then stopped when it got cold :/. Would it still be as effective if I ran on a treadmill?
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Welcome & congrats on having the motivation to get started!! I have to commend you for getting started now, as I know for many years I would say to myself "Oh, all my fave foods are out now, too hard right now...I'll just start in the new year." How awesome a gift to give yourself!!!

I'm not a trainer, not an expert, I just know what has been working for me. I've also always been a "bigger girl", although shorter than you, I'm 5' 4 1/2", and when I got serious this July, I was @ 225.

My main work out is running. I started out slow, running for 2 minutes & then walking for 2 minutes for about 20 minutes. Slowly, as I felt stronger, I added to the run times, and now I'm up to running 7 minutes, walking 1. I run for 3 days in a row, then take 1 day off. I feel great, and with watching my cals, I've consistently lost every week since starting this on July 25th. .

The past 2 months, I've also started doing 30 day challenges. I found 30dayfitnesschallenges.com and they have lots of them there you can choose from, even links on how to do them if you aren't sure. I'm presently 1/2 way through the "beach body challenge". No, I know I'm not gonna get into a bikini in 30 days, but...maybe...someday...I'll look better in a swimsuit...

It's not always easy, and there are days I just wanna lounge on the couch & not work out, but I know once I'm up, I feel so much better, and when I put my hand on my waist & feel those abs coming through or have to fold up clothes & put them to the side because what was once too snug are now too loose...Oh yeah - makes it worth it! Good luck to ya!!!!
  • forgettingourforgiveness
    Options
    Thank you so much and I'm glad to hear that it is working out for you! My main problem is not getting motivated, it's STAYING motivated. I'll have these days where I wanna change everything and etc. but then the nexxt day it's like the thought was never there. Thinking clearly right now, if I get started right now, I'll be around my goal weight by the middle of summer. And by Spring of next year, when I go to main campus at college, I'll be perfect to myself. I need help desperately and I'm at the point where I don't know what to do.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Running can be hard on the joints and feet, ankles, etc. when you start at a higher weight. I know it was for me and I had to deal with the sprains, strains and pains that came with it.

I quit jogging and just walked as much, as far, and as fast as I could. The weight came off. I also did strength training which is awesome no matter what your size.

When I lost 50 pounds, I added bodyweight exercises and those also helped a lot.

No matter what you choose, make sure it is right for YOUR body i.e. your injuries, your flexibility level, your circumstances, etc. There is no one size fits all. The good thing about fitness is that the fitter you get, the more your body will ask of you to keep it going.

Start slow. Be safe. There is no rush.

Edited to add: After losing 100lbs, I did the C25K program and it was a breeze because I had much less weight on my joints, more lung capacity and i still run 3.1 miles twice a week. I am very glad I didn't start out with it but trained myself to get to it.
  • estey89
    estey89 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much and I'm glad to hear that it is working out for you! My main problem is not getting motivated, it's STAYING motivated. I'll have these days where I wanna change everything and etc. but then the nexxt day it's like the thought was never there. Thinking clearly right now, if I get started right now, I'll be around my goal weight by the middle of summer. And by Spring of next year, when I go to main campus at college, I'll be perfect to myself. I need help desperately and I'm at the point where I don't know what to do.

Once you see results it will help you STAY motivated! I did the 30 day shred (20 mnins)+ 30 mins cardio of some sort, walking, elliptical, scrubbing the bathroom even something 30 mins that is extra that you usually done do! I was so motivated because I was loosing the not just weight but inches fast!

ITs very true to eat healthy though, I made myself go a full 30 days without any cheat meals and ate all healthy then slowly let things back in.
  • markroddy
    Options
    I would advise you to start some form of resistance program also, any will do. This will prevent you from losing muscle while your in a calorie deficit. It will also help you tone up and no it will not make you "bulky" at all. In terms of burning calories it wont burn as many as jogging but if done properly it wont be too far off it. When it comes to losing weight or more specifically body fat the 2 key components are a good diet and a good weight training program.
    Hope this helps you reach your goals.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It is still plenty effective on the treadmill though not AS much of a workout as it is outside.
  • sofiawantstolose
    sofiawantstolose Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hi darling!! Let me tell you a little about myself, and maybe I can give you a piece of advice.

I'm 5'6, I weigh 157 and I'm currently getting back on track. I live in Argentina, so It's summer here now, and last summer I weiged 153 pounds, but then backslided for a few months and gained almost 10 pounds. I managed to get it down to 157, which is where I am now.

My problem through the year was the food, because sometimes I didn't have enough time to eat calmly and slowly, so I gained weight, but not too much, luckily.

I play volleyball, and train 3 times a week, at my local club. We train really hard, and I burn 800 cals. approx. on each training session. It's hard to train with the high temperatures, it's tiring, sweaty, salty and sometimes dirty (we throw ourselves to the floor to save the ball many times).

January is our rest month. However, I never manage to keep still, so I hit the gym every weekday morning during january and february. On february I do both things; in the morning, I go to the gym every weekday and 3 afternoons a week I train volleyball.

I totally disagree with Stage14, WEIGHTLOSS IS NOT ONLY BASED ON CALORIE DEFICIT. Weightloss is based on the combination of eating clean, drinking water and working out. Excercise will not only help you lose weight but will have a MAJOR impact on your overall health. It's good not only for your weightloss, but also for your heart, lungs, bones and immune system. It will make you feel happier, healthier, and prettier.

Coming up with a suitable workout regimen is very individual; I'd love to help you, but in order to do that you have to determinate how many times a week you'd like to excercise, for how long, and how many calories you'd like to burn approx. After that, it depends a lot on what you like the most.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    The C25K program will absolutley work on a treadmill, thouigh running outside is more fun. I like the Jillian Michael tapes, such as Ripped in 30 (my favorite) and 30 Day Shred. They have a modifier trainer in the video for beginners and it's about 25 minutes. I do those first thing in the morning and it gives me energy and really makes me want to watch what I eat, thus helps in weight loss. I've seen good results with this and running.