Need to continue weight loss after losing my dad

Options
I've recently lost my dad about 1 month ago and I'm having a hard time continuing with my diet routine. I was his primary caregiver for approximately 3 years. I have very little desire to do anything, especially eat right. I could go almost a whole day without eating. I hope I can find my momentum back.

Replies

• islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I realy am sorry for your loss. Being a caregiver is incredibley self-sacrificing work especialy for a close family member as your dad was. You need to give yourself care now. Become the patient. Maybe a strict diet isn't necissary, but concentate on getting healed. Eat as much healthy, vitamon rich food as you can. Exercise is a great healer. Vent by getting outside, walking with friends, wandering a mall, going through art galleries, joining a gym or class, volenteering at something. Ask for help, get a support group, but please don't isolate yourself. I'd be happy to be a friend on MFP, here is a great support group but you might need more for a while. Big hugs.
    Shel
  • nbingham
    nbingham Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My condolences on your dad Eileen. It was hard on me when I lost my dad too. I can't say time will heal this, cause I don't believe it will... it'll just make it not hurt quite so much. 1 month is not a long time and I can understand that you have little motivation. Just remember that your dad would want you to be healthy and take care of yourself.

If you need someone to talk to, please feel free to message me.

Best wishes,

Nancy
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi Eileen and fellow NewHampshire person :) I am sorry to hear about you losing your dad, The grief process can pull us in, It did when I lost my dad in 2007. If you can find a way to experience your grief without eating it or letting it make you not want to do anything and just feeling it as it comes that's the best thing probably.
    They also might have grief counselors out there at your local church or hospital that can help with the emotional burden you're going through. I know it's hard having people support you face to face is a good thing when you're going through grieving.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have an idea of what you're going through. My mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer a little over a year ago and decided to quit chemotherapy, for multiple reasons, about 2 months ago. It's been hard having to care for her and to watch her die slowly, but there's nothing much I can do. I guess I just remind myself that I have to do this for me and for my health and that my mom would want me to keep eating healthy and exercising. I wish you the best :)
  • danadee
    danadee Posts: 49
    Options
    I don't know what you have been through, but my dad is my life ( and I don't know what I'd do without him), so I can only imagine how each day is for you. Please know that the people here are wonderful and here to support you. I'm sure your dad would want you to be happy and take care of yourself. It is time to put yourself first.
    I am so sorry you lost your father.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I've recently lost my dad about 1 month ago and I'm having a hard time continuing with my diet routine. I was his primary caregiver for approximately 3 years. I have very little desire to do anything, especially eat right. I could go almost a whole day without eating. I hope I can find my momentum back.

i lost my dad three months ago and my grandma two weeks ago. i have had no desire to eat either (unless it is crap). it is really hard. i am so sorry for your loss! hugs!
    dawn