Very Close to Goal, looking to Maintain

Options
After a long road to success, I'm about 10 Lbs from my goal.

I have gotten pretty good at the losing part fo this. And I got good at it by learning along the way (the forums were a big help).

Is there a thread on getting started with maintaining? Something like the "roadmap" thread that many people often linked/ bumped that discussed getting started with losing?

So far my plan will be to slowly increase my cals untill I get to my maintenance. I'll generally eat the same type of stuff i eat now but more of it as well as increasing the amount of calorie dense foods to help me get there.

I currently work out 3 days a week with weights and should probably add some cardio in there.

Any advice, links, threads, suggestions are welcome as i get ready to enter this next stage.

Thanks!

Replies

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    -curious too

I am almost starting to feel scrawny - even though other females my height want to be 10 lbs lighter. I personally want to look athletic not stick like! So, I will be starting maintenance in the next couple lbs. This is alien to me.
  • jljewell
    jljewell Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm in for advice, too. I feel like I've lost enough, and just want to be healthy. But how to transition?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds fine. It may take a while to work out what your maintenance is, and you may gain a few pounds just from eating more food (more water and food weight) so just be prepared for that. However, if you slowly add back calories, you may not even experience it as you theoretically will continue to lose fat while walking your calories up and they often counter-act each other more or less.

Edited for typo
  • klmorg1227
    klmorg1227 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks into maintenance for the first time and here is my experience. First of all, I was terrified. I was terrified to gain weight after all my hard work of losing 76 pounds and maintaining a 1000 -1200 calorie regimen for so long. So, I did the jump...I jumped from 1200 to 1500 a day. The first week I was miserable. I felt like a bloated pig. I ate the same healthy foods, just added to how much I ate and ate even more often through out the day. I will never change from eating healthy to eating junk again...especially since I actually prefer the healthy things. Anyway..the first week I gained two pounds, (also was my period week and I usually gained a pound or so anyway so I really had no need to panic, but I did a little), but everyone I spoke to said keep going your body will adjust. And it did. week two the bloating not so bad and I lost the two pounds back...week three I felt great and stayed the same weight and actually ate closer to what my diary was telling me I should eat (around 1800 - 1900 per day when I workout), week four same results. However, week five started out with a two pound weight loss! That was this past Sunday morning. I always weigh myself once a week.. Also I will mention that I have continued to lose inches also in my measurements, When I started maintenance I was 35 (bust), 29 (waist) and 35 (hips). Sunday morning I was 34 1/2, 28 1/4 and 34 3/4. Not significant losses but losses still the same. So thats my experience so far...would love to hear some others on here too. My best advice is to go up a couple hundred calories the first couple weeks and then just listen to your body. I think it may take a few months for us to find out where our bodies are going to settle and be satisfied with our caloric intake. Also I definitely think you need to add some cardio. Here is my general week: I run 4 days a week, a 4 mile run (about 40 minutes) , then I do an elliptical on my non running days, I do 5 miles (45 minutes). I do weights also 3 days a week and do some toning (sit ups and ball exercises) 6 days a week. Take every Sunday off from any routines, although I still stay active.

Good luck!!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I am 5 weeks into maintenance for the first time and here is my experience. First of all, I was terrified. I was terrified to gain weight after all my hard work of losing 76 pounds and maintaining a 1000 -1200 calorie regimen for so long. So, I did the jump...I jumped from 1200 to 1500 a day. The first week I was miserable. I felt like a bloated pig. I ate the same healthy foods, just added to how much I ate and ate even more often through out the day. I will never change from eating healthy to eating junk again...especially since I actually prefer the healthy things. Anyway..the first week I gained two pounds, (also was my period week and I usually gained a pound or so anyway so I really had no need to panic, but I did a little), but everyone I spoke to said keep going your body will adjust. And it did. week two the bloating not so bad and I lost the two pounds back...week three I felt great and stayed the same weight and actually ate closer to what my diary was telling me I should eat (around 1800 - 1900 per day when I workout), week four same results. However, week five started out with a two pound weight loss! That was this past Sunday morning. I always weigh myself once a week.. Also I will mention that I have continued to lose inches also in my measurements, When I started maintenance I was 35 (bust), 29 (waist) and 35 (hips). Sunday morning I was 34 1/2, 28 1/4 and 34 3/4. Not significant losses but losses still the same. So thats my experience so far...would love to hear some others on here too. My best advice is to go up a couple hundred calories the first couple weeks and then just listen to your body. I think it may take a few months for us to find out where our bodies are going to settle and be satisfied with our caloric intake. Also I definitely think you need to add some cardio. Here is my general week: I run 4 days a week, a 4 mile run (about 40 minutes) , then I do an elliptical on my non running days, I do 5 miles (45 minutes). I do weights also 3 days a week and do some toning (sit ups and ball exercises) 6 days a week. Take every Sunday off from any routines, although I still stay active.

Good luck!!

This is very helpful - Thanks!
  • klmorg1227
    klmorg1227 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

:-) Lets all post our progress!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Good luck!!

:-) Lets all post our progress!

I'm just starting maintenance too and this is very helpful. Thanks again. :)