Should I lose more weight?

Options
I'm 5'3", and fluctuate between 118-122 pounds. I want to lose about another 1/2 inch off my waist. 26.5 ATM. My skin is kinda loose on my stomach, kids/weight loss. Will losing more help to achieve that? My safe weight range is 105-121, (from internet scales I've used). But my problem lately is I haven't lost anything since August. I farm so it was hard to work out during that time and I miss days lately due to being busy during the day. I haven't done too much weight training lately, and have added in core/abs work outs, (ab ripper and core with cardio/plyo from P90X and X2). Any help apreciated!

Replies

• loriq41
    loriq41 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I think that is a perfectly acceptable weight as I am 5'0" 122 and want to lose down to about 115...for you, I suggest 3-4 days of heavy lifting and 1-2 days of cardio...it seems as thought you just need to get rid of the "skinny fat" weight which really is best done with strength training. :) You may not lose much if anything else but you will sure look like it!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by "safe weight", but you're well within the healthy range for your height. As far a loose skin goes, no losing more weight will not necessarily make that look better. At this point you're probably better off forgetting what the scale says, eating closer to maintenance and doing more weight training. Consider heavy weight training for more visible changes.
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking I need to start back into weights. I used to do Jillian Michael's body revolution, cardio then a weight training workout, and she uses a lot of body weight training, so I've mostly used free form weights, 8 pounds bening my heaviest, didn't really use the bench, would this be sufficient enough for my goals?
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Something I read about height and a safe weight range, not only to be overweight but underweight as well.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Over time, the loose skin will tighten up.

Since you have a farm, you should build yourself an obstacle course! Big tires for squats and for hitting with a sledgehammer, small tires for tossing, ropes for climbing the possibilities are endless. That way you have another option when you just cannot get off the farm (such as harvest season. Good luck getting my DH off that tractor when the hay is ready to cut.) I plan on building one in my yard this year. And with you being more physically active, you are likely to sit at a slightly higher weight. This is not a bad thing! You are strong and physically active, to h3ll with the scale!
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3 and 150lbs. It's not always about a number on the scale or what a chart says we should weigh. If you want to lose more, do it because it's something you want for yourself, not because it's what you think is right. I am perfectly happy with my body and focus more on maintaining muscle rather than losing weight.

Start a weight training program, it's amazing what lifting does for your body. I weigh 10 more pounds now than I did 2 years ago, but I wear the same size and look better now.
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Haha!! I like that! To hell with the scale! Yes, it's hard to workout being on a tractor for 12 hours! But it still does burn calories, so it isn't all that bad! In fact, I started my weight loss a little over a year ago, and I went through some plateaus, then my cousin suggested MFP, so I tried it, and keeping records of those calories in and out really helped. But when I really started into the farm season, I really started to shed then. Plus, I do lots of landscaping in my yard, so I try to do it all myself for that work. Moving stones and railway ties, building gardens and steps!
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    That's awesome! I keep thinking if I gain It will be noticeable. I'm not concerned too much about the scale at this point, (I made three weight goals I made to myself, proud if that accomplishment!!), just wanting those abs, and some muscle tone! I wasn't sure if I should be closer to the weight chart to get that. I wasn't sure if if like it at first, but know that I see the changes, it looks good to me.