Chicken Thighs-Are they bad for you?

Options
I have been trying to eat Chicken (for more protein in my diet) twice a week at least in my lunch.
I just can't with Chicken Breast, no matter how I cook it, it's bland and dry to me.
Maybe I just can't cook, who knows lol.

But I like the taste of Chicken thighs better, if I buy Skinless Chicken Thighs, is that bad? or about the same as a chicken breast?

Replies

• JustMeee333
    Options
    I do believe there are more calories in thighs than the breast, but if that's the one you prefer, who cares?
    Just log it, fit it in and enjoy! :drinker:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Dark meat is higher in iron and other nutrients, so enjoy your chicken!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Ok, chicken thighs have a higher fat content. Not necissarily good or bad. Chicken breast I tend to think of as "better" because it's basically pure protein. But I agree, the thighs taste better, because after all, fat makes everything taste better!
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Dark meat is higher in iron and other nutrients, so enjoy your chicken!

this too! Although I am far from having a problem getting enough iron personally...
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I do believe there are more calories in thighs than the breast, but if that's the one you prefer, who cares?
    Just log it, fit it in and enjoy! :drinker:

This. I prefer thighs for a number of recipes for various reasons, but I also like breast meat. Get on skinnytaste.com and search Gina's list of chicken recipes... most of them use chicken breast and all the ones I've tried are delish!! It took me a while to figure out how to cook a juicy chicken breast but after a while it gets easier. Google other recipes as well. But as long as what you eat fits, then I wouldn't stress too much over it :)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    thighs have more fat and a little less protein. 10g fat in a 4oz serving for thighs, 2g fat for the same portion of breast. (that's why thighs are easier to cook, more fat lets them stay moist). 19g protein in 4oz of thighs vs 26g in breasts.

I poach my chicken breasts and use them on salad, but grilling them is easy, you just have to time them right to keep them moist. I use thighs a lot too, I prefer them in general. I like them roasted with the bone in and skin on.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Stay within your calorie goal and you should be good. There are more calories but I don't think it's that significant. Otherwise if you want to stick with chicken breast careful how long you are cooking it. Overcooking will dry it out.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I hear you about chicken breasts. I can make them taste ok if I cut them in small pieces and just cook them in a pan (without anything), otherwise I just buy frozen grilled chicken breasts that are amazing and tender after 20 minutes in the toaster oven, but not so good for my wallet.

I like dark meat better too, but 200+ calories for 100g is a bit much, so I try to have it less than once a week.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options
    Also, Feta stuffed chicken breast:

Mix 2tbs herb feta with 2tbs low/no fat cream cheese
    Cut pocket in to center of chicken breast and stuff with cheese mixture
    Sear in pan on both sides until cooked through

Cheese stuffing helps prevent drying out from over cooking. Of course, probably also negates the low fat content of the chicken breast, but I don't care, tastes awesome!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm with you - just a plain chicken breast is pretty bland. Salsa helps as well as some avocado.

Nothing wrong with the fattier cuts of chicken. You could argue if the fat is "good" or "bad" and the merits of factory farmed thighs vs. free range pastured chicken thighs but at the end of the day there are much worse things to be eating.

As others have said, they are much higher in fat, so if you are trying to hit a specific macro ratio, keep that in mind. With the targets you have set in your diary you are going to need some other sources of lean protein to hit that level without going over on fat.

Hope that helps.
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I don't know the exact numbers. Obviously thighs are higher in calories but I don't think that much. I prefer them to breasts myself. Made some last night for dinner cooked in low fat gravy. They didn't dry out and were tasty. I also like to use turkey thighs making chili. So good! :bigsmile:
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    thighs are higher (4oz/130c) than breasts (4oz/100c) calorie wise, but not by much (comparing boneless, skinless) but in the grand scheme its not that much more, however, its still lower than steak or burgers . (don't quote me on the numbers, they can vary,. but should be right around that)

I normally use thighs, just tastes better, not as dry to me, etc ..
  • waltcote
    Options
    I don't know the exact numbers. Obviously thighs are higher in calories but I don't think that much. I prefer them to breasts myself. Made some last night for dinner cooked in low fat gravy. They didn't dry out and were tasty. I also like to use turkey thighs making chili. So good! :bigsmile:

That would be skinless thighs.....
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thighs have a bit more fat (which makes them taste better of course) and seem much moister.

I'd use breasts instead of thighs but my family would revolt if I did so I just accept that we have to use thighs. We do use the skinless variety however.
  • NYAngel1089
    NYAngel1089 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I cant eat the chicken breasts either. they are too dry and bleck. I too prefer chicken thighs, tho I'm bad cuz i like it with the skin. but as long as you point it properly and work with it, you're fine!! Eat what you like.
  • waltcote
    Options
    I cant eat the chicken breasts either. they are too dry and bleck. I too prefer chicken thighs, tho I'm bad cuz i like it with the skin. but as long as you point it properly and work with it, you're fine!! Eat what you like.

I agree...especially grilling them...the skin is very tasty:devil: !!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    But I like the taste of Chicken thighs better, if I buy Skinless Chicken Thighs, is that bad? or about the same as a chicken breast?

Turn the question around - why wouldn't it be good?
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options

Turn the question around - why wouldn't it be good?

Because in most diet books, and experts say that you should only eat "lean protein". A lot of people consider Chicken Breast way healthier then Chicken thighs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    You t anything you want within your calorie limit. I love the way my beau cooks chicken thighs.
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I grill my chicken breast plain on a George Forman grill. I butterfly the thicker part and cut off the tip, I grill about two to three breasts, and after it's cooked and cooked I store it in the fridge for the week. I then use it mostly in tortilla wraps, whole wheat it ancient grains, with romain lettuce, tomato, and a low fat Caesar dressing! It's still juicy too using the grill! Just to get my protein, I'm not a huge meat eater, even though I do like meats. Just am option! You can use it on salads too, or whatever you like!