What are the best burn numbers to use?

Options
So, back to the dilemma again. The first was: which is more accurate for workouts: MFP's calculators (seemed to high) or what it says on the equipment (exercise bike and treadmill showed a lower burn). I chose a rate of burn somewhere between the equipment and the calculator to be on the safe side. Now I have a Polar HRM, used it for the first time today, and it is again showing a burn that is double what I have been using. Today I used the stationary bike (hard effort), treadmill (running and walking) and did some minor lifting for a total of a little over an hour workout, the Polar says I burned 1011 calories but my normal calculation would normally be around 480 calories (give or take). So, the question is, what should be the more accurate number of calories burned?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Pick one and use it. The HRM is including your regular calories that you would have burned anyway, so deduct on a per hour basis there. It isn't intended to be used for weight lifting - it is intended for steady-state cardio. So there's that.

I have an HRM, I used it for a while. None of the methods were the same, so I just picked a number I'm comfortable with using and that seems reasonable.

If you pick a method and stick to it, at least you have a good solid base from which to work. So if you aren't getting the results you expect, you can adjust accordingly. If you are skipping all around to different calculations, you're not getting good numbers, either. They are ALL based on average calculations. None of them are 100% accurate.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    I have been using my averaged number for quite a while with no real problem. The HRM was a new purchase that I keep hearing is supposed to be more accurate, it just seemed a pretty big difference, with it showing double the burn of my calculations. Just trying to find the best number to use to be as accurate as possible.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    So stick with around 400-500 per hour.

I stick with 300 per hour myself.

Meh, even with food logging and exercise guessing, it's still a lot of estimation. You still have a lot of weight to lose, so you should be able to drop it easily for a while longer. The slim margins really only matter for those last 15-20 pounds.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Without being in a temperature and oxygen controlled laboratory there is no way to be accurate.

For walking and running there are formulas that can be pretty accurate as they are activities that have been extensively studied with less variables.

Would suggest that as you now have a HRM use its numbers for your cardio for consistency and adjust your intake depending on your weight loss results.

HRM's are really supposed to be cardio training aids and don't actually count calories.
    BTW - HRMs don't work for weight training, if you are doing high tempo circuit training then maybe it might be a guideline but otherwise you might just as well pick a number and use that.
  • Hiker_Rob
    Hiker_Rob Posts: 5,547 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I plan to use it mainly for biking and running in the summer and the stationary bike & treadmill for winter. I would not normally use it for lifting or circuit training. Thanks for your input.