Picky eaters

Options
What do you feed your picky kids?? Any ideas? :sad:

Replies

• wardances
    Options
    I just point to the food and say "Eat it or starve." I don't believe in coddling children.
  • asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    force feed, Guantanamo style.
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Lol that's mean haha I don't wanna clean up puke:sick:
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If you know foods that they like, rotate them, and keep trying to introduce new foods as much as you can.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I just point to the food and say "Eat it or starve." I don't believe in coddling children.
    i was a picky eater (still am) and my parents did this. i survived.
  • wardances
    Options

My parents employed this trick on me and my four siblings. We'll eat just about anything now. My husband was coddled as a child to the point that meals were brought to his room if requested. There are MAYBE ten meals he will eat now and only one involves vegetables of any kind (excluding potatoes). Otherwise he flat out refuses.

/shrug

Everyone's different.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

there is a sign in our kitchen that reads...

"dinner choices:
    1. take it
    2. leave it"

as much as my wife and i love to cook...we are not running a diner.

it actually happened sunday night...
    steak florentine, gnocchi with a gorgonzola cream sauce, and a lovely brussels sprouts parmyere.

he let the food sit there for about 15min, refusing to eat it. then my wife started to make the cookies. he says "hey dad...can you put my dinner in the oven? it's cold"

nope...sry dude. you let it sit there.

once the cookies were done, guess who ate his dinner...
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My sister let's them know that THIS is what we are having for dinner. If they pick at it and don't eat it, it gets put in the fridge for later. When they want a snack because they're hungry, they can eat that. It only took a couple of months before they realized that her kitchen is not a restaurant.

Buuut.... if you think that's mean.... you can always google some pictures of recipes with them and have them pick some out and help with the cooking. Kids are typically proud of the things they make and I'm sure they'd be more likely to eat if you did that.

Also, how young are they? I used to babysit a 3 year old girl and her dad told me not to worry if she doesn't eat her broccoli, she never eats anything green but he gives it to her anyway. She loved Disney princesses so I told her that it wasn't broccoli, it was princess trees. She didn't even ask what princess trees were... she just ate it up.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I was an extremely picky eater as a child and still am to this day, yet I make my own meals. My mum got me a school dinner like tray with separate bits so I had different foods none of which were touching in order to experiment for a while
  • desolate_angel
    desolate_angel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been a picky eater my whole life. I suggest serving food plain and let the child add what they want. For example, I eat my potatoes plain with some pepper or cheese. I eat plain peanut butter sandwiches, hotdogs, etc. I don't like butter or sour cream , mustard, ketchup, mayo. I hate salad dressing and eat salads plain with a little cheese sprinkled on top. Barbeque sauce is nasty, but dry rubs and marinades are good. One of my favorites is grilled chicken breast marinated in a mesquite and zesty herb marinade. Yum! If they won't eat vegetables on something like burgers or tacos, give them the option of a side salad. Instead of a pile of vegetables at every dinner, try them mixed into the dish. Chili is good, or stew. Cheesy chicken and rice casserole with vegetables in it. I use Garden Delight spaghetti noodles for spaghetti. My grandmother used to make a crockpot roast and serve it with green beans she'd cook with a little bacon fat. I loved it and used to beg her to make her "stringy beef" when I went to visit. The green beans weren't my favorite, but they were good and a non-negotiable part of the meal.
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have one child who is very picky. She gets a serving of whatever we are having and she has a choice to eat or not to eat with a stern warning that when dinner is over, her plate is taken away and that it is a LONG way until breakfast. She usually manages to choke down a few bites of whatever it is that we are eating. She's miserable the entire time, but she does it. With that said there are probably two to three nights a week where I give her and her siblings more kid friendly fare so it's not an uphill battle every dinner time. I found that to be a bit of a compromise. Thankfully she likes chicken, so we do tend to eat a lot of chicken, tonight it was turkey kielbasa sausage and you would think that I was trying to poison her. Sigh....

Good luck!!
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I believe in letting kids choose what to eat and how much. I control their choices but they still get the choice and I make the interaction as drama free as possible.

I was raised in a strict disciplinarian environment regarding food and eating my veggies. I was actually beaten over it. A lot. It messed me up in a lot of ways. I dreaded meal times and so would eat between meals to avoid them them without hunger. Developed a lot of bad habits and attitudes.

More importantly, I discovered after 48 years of misery (eating veggies I learned to love but suffering for it) that I have a disease called hyperoxaluria that actually makes veggies/fruits/beans/whole grains/nuts (all those things I eventually trained myself to love because they were so "good" for me) ... bad for me after all. Cause a lot of problems for me. Very high risk of serious illness/death if I eat them the way I was "trained" to eat them.

I have to severely limit them for my health. My body was trying to tell me from a very young age what my body needed and didn't need. I wasn't allowed to listen to it and I suffered a lot of health consequences as a result.

Not everything is about control and discipline.

"We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today." (Stacia Tauscher)
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    you can't argue with a toddler about nutrition or anything so at that age my kids could pick from their dinner and chose, but as they got older they could pick out one food and eat the rest. That said I do take preferences into account when planning my monthly meal plan and I try to involve the kids in the preparation of the food.

One thing to consider with all the advice given that there are 'picky eaters' and there are 'PICKY EATERS'. I mean if all the kid will eat is chicken nuggets and fries then different strategies are needed then a kid who most things, but dislikes tomatoes, peppers and beans for example.
  • gigglesinthesun
    Options
    "We worry about what a child will become tomorrow, yet we forget that he is someone today." (Stacia Tauscher)

I love this quote. I also like to remind myself that children are a work in progress and thus do not resemble the adult that they will be. Lots of childhood issues will simply be outgrown at the end of it.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options

there is a sign in our kitchen that reads...

"dinner choices:
    1. take it
    2. leave it"

as much as my wife and i love to cook...we are not running a diner.

it actually happened sunday night...
    steak florentine, gnocchi with a gorgonzola cream sauce, and a lovely brussels sprouts parmyere.

he let the food sit there for about 15min, refusing to eat it. then my wife started to make the cookies. he says "hey dad...can you put my dinner in the oven? it's cold"

nope...sry dude. you let it sit there.

once the cookies were done, guess who ate his dinner...

Yea .. this works. My parents didn't run a restaurant either ... we ate what was on our plates. Or we sat there til we ate it .. my sister sat there for hours sometimes. Kids are just kids and sometimes they are just being stupid for the sake of being difficult. I personally don't agree with sucking up to kids .. and later in life they will be better eaters cause of it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I don't make separate meals, but I make sure there is at least one thing my kid likes in the meal. They have to at least try the "yucky" stuff at each meal, just a few bites, then they can say "no thank you." Either they will develop a taste for it over time, or they will not, but at least they are willing to try new things. I don't want them feeling like they have to eat every bit of food put in front of them or that they don't have control over what they put in their own bodies. They do pretty well when it comes to the variety of foods they will eat. I was raised in a "you're not leaving the table until you eat _______" house, and it was not pleasant. Nor did it solve the issue; I still hate lima beans.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband WAS a very picky eater, hated 'little trees' as he called it. I told him when we have kids he's not allowed to dislike something I know he will eat (like broccoli), because I know kids will be watching him and imitating.

Certain things I don't push, like mayo, certain salad dressings, sweet potatoes, crunchy peanut butter...

However, my rule is, if it's healthy, you must try it 12 times before you can absolutely say you hate it. Yes. 12 times. One bite at a time, and guess who eats his broccoli now without complaining?
  • gigglesinthesun
    Options
    Yea .. this works. My parents didn't run a restaurant either ... we ate what was on our plates. Or we sat there til we ate it .. my sister sat there for hours sometimes. Kids are just kids and sometimes they are just being stupid for the sake of being difficult. I personally don't agree with sucking up to kids .. and later in life they will be better eaters cause of it.

most of us are here, because we are 'good' eaters. In reality, population statistics show that most adults could do with being a bit more picky and not finishing their plate of whatever they are given.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options
    As a former picky eater, who is still picky but not to the extreme I was here are some of the things my parents did to get me to eat:

Texture was my biggest hangup, I didn't like soft and 'hard' things mixed together. Tomatoes was a nightmare for me, hard on the outside and runny on the inside. My parents indulged me to a degree, I didn't have to eat the crust of the bread, they found bread without grains, soups and souses were blended to make them smooth and I got to place things where I wanted them on my plate. But I had to try new things, I wasn't allowed to say I didn't like something without trying it a handful of time.

Get your kids to help you make the food and buy the food, when I knew what my food was and had an active part in making it I was more willing to give it a try.
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

I have a friend who's parents did this. She is still recovering from the eating disorder it triggered.