I'm pre-op for gastric bypass...

Options

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    A little over a year ago I was just starting the process for a RNY type surgery. I felt like it was the only way. I've been over weight since I was about 8 years old and no diet, ever worked. They said that it would take about 1 year to get through the process and have my surgery. 1 year and over 100 lbs later I decided I didn't need it.

My advice would be to commit now to the lifestyle changes you're going to have to soon anyway and use the time that you have to track your food, exercise, and be healthier. Then when the surgery gets closer really look and see weather you think you can do this on your own. Maybe you will need the addition help, and maybe you'll be ready to finish the journey without the help.

Either way, Good Luck, and best wishes. :-)
  • StacySkinny
    StacySkinny Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I see WLS as a "last chance" kind of thing. It's a severe operation that can cause lifelong complications. Many people have crazy medical complications due to the surgery that they totally weren't expecting, and not to mention, every time you go into major surgery like this you are really risking your life. Sweetie if you aren't suffering medical issues that cause you to need to lose weight RIGHT NOW, then I recommend doing it the "old fashioned way". Wow, girl, you're a 26 year old with only 100 lbs to lose. Sweetie, you can totally do this yourself. Just make some healthy lifestyle changes! I'm on my way to losing 245 lbs! And girl, I KNOW I can do it. If you only have 100 lbs to lose, please please only get surgery if you honestly feel like it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to make healthy changes for yourself by eating smaller portions, healthier foods, and exercising more.

IF you come to the conclusion that surgery is the ONLY option then please watch this video made by a girl who underwent WLS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRtxRvd3pE
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    for those congratulating her 100 pound losss.......her post says 10 pounds lost.
  • StacySkinny
    Options
    Just SAY NO!!! I am a nurse and this surgery is full of complication after complication. I have seen many post op patients years later and it is never good. This surgery is surgically induced anorexia. You will vomit after every meal. Your hair, nail, and skin will become very brittle. Malnutrition is huge, because this surgery does not teach you to eat right. I encourage you to do more research before you go under the knife. Best of luck to you.

Couldn't agree with you more. IMO this is a quick fix for lazy people. I am sorry that it may sound rude but anyone that wants it bad enough can lose weight with proper diet and exercise.

Wow!!! Lazy people......:-( Yes,,,so SAD indeed. I just pray for people with these interesting and narrow minded opinions and statements. It doesn't sound rude. It sounds like a person who has never walked in a super morbibly obese person shoes and has no empathy for their issues. And narrows it down to plain old LAZY. Again all I can say is WOW!

Sweetie, she only has 100 lbs to lose. I wouldn't exactly call her "super morbidly obese".
  • slwheeler3
    Options
    i had a friend whos mother died from complications of this surgery and it has scared me to death ever since that happened. i would get a nutritionist and a personal trainer instead. i am just concerned for anyone who is considering this! if you have already lost 10 lbs then you know that you can do it again and again until all the weight is off!!! set smaller goals and you will get there.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    There is an alternative that is working. Don't know where to find one where you live but I am sure it can be done.
    Hypnotic gastric band. You are hypnotized and under hypnosis the sounds and smells of the surgery occur and the suggestions are such that you look eat and feel as if you have weight loss surgery. I believe it is been done successfully in Spain or the programs developers came from spain... look into it... what have you got to lose but weight. They are finding it as effective as WLS>..and without associated risks.... with same results.... Best wishes.
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I agree with many others on here, gastric bypass has a lot of downfalls and can be very risky. You've already shown yourself you can lose the weight so I think you should keep on doing what you've been doing and continue on your journey. Have you ever seen the show the Biggest Loser? There are so many contestants on that show whose doctors have pushed for the surgery in the past. These doctors are looking to make a buck instead of pushing you in the right direction: good old fashioned diet and exercise. I would love to help you on your journey. I believe you can do it without surgery! Add me as a friend and I'd love to help you keep motivated along the way.
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    People are so judgemental of people who have had weight loss surgery. Why? What does it matter to you?

I've seen people not say "hey, you've lost weight you look great" to a friend of mine because they know she did it with weight loss surgery. Pure cattyness. Well, she didn't just magically lose the weight, she still had to have guidelines to keep and follow and she now exercises. Had she not had the surgery, she would most likely be dead. But I guess her tombstone could have said "here lies Melissa, at least she didn't take the easy way out". Geez.

Where are the success stories? Only the horror stories, or my aunt's friends, sister's husband's friend gained his weight back. There are many more success stories, but the sad thing is the attitude of most people looking down on weight loss surgery makes people keep it a secret. The person you know who "eats less, moves more" and has done well, could be a gastric bypass or lap band person scared to tell the truth because of peoples bias. I know quite a few who do this.

Many "dieters" are just like ex smokers who look down on smokers... It amazes me time and time again. I quit smoking using nicotine replacement, guess I cheated huh.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    People are so judgemental of people who have had weight loss surgery. Why? What does it matter to you?

I've seen people not say "hey, you've lost weight you look great" to a friend of mine because they know she did it with weight loss surgery. Pure cattyness. Well, she didn't just magically lose the weight, she still had to have guidelines to keep and follow and she now exercises. Had she not had the surgery, she would most likely be dead. But I guess her tombstone could have said "here lies Melissa, at least she didn't take the easy way out". Geez.

Where are the success stories? Only the horror stories, or my aunt's friends, sister's husband's friend gained his weight back. There are many more success stories, but the sad thing is the attitude of most people looking down on weight loss surgery makes people keep it a secret. The person you know who "eats less, moves more" and has done well, could be a gastric bypass or lap band person scared to tell the truth because of peoples bias. I know quite a few who do this.

Many "dieters" are just like ex smokers who look down on smokers... It amazes me time and time again. I quit smoking using nicotine replacement, guess I cheated huh.

I think to most people who are telling the "horror stories" it is about total overall health rather than just weight loss. Sure, you'll lose weight doing the surgeries...but with all the side effects and the fact that you can't eat red meat without puking or drink anything carbonated without the fear of stomach swelling...I believe that those opposed to the surgeries are looking past simply weight loss and trying to help others see the negative affects these surgeries have. Nobody is judging or harrassing folks who have or are thinking about having these procedures done.

I honestly can't count on one hand the "negative" effects of a well balanced diet and exercise. Not only do you lose weight, but you improve organ functions, heart and lung efficiency, etc, etc, etc, without fear of having to limit your food intake or might get sick or worse.

But I do disagree that people who have the surgery are "lazy." Lazy would be gaining more weight for lack of any action...
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    Wow there's some negativity on this thread.:grumble:

Weight loss surgery isn't the right choice for everyone, but those who have chosen to undergo it should be supported, not disparaged. As PuppyBandit says, giving up smoking with the help of nicotine replacement isn't seen as cheating so why should weight loss surgery?

In my opinion, the only cheating that goes on are the people who resort to drugs to suppress their appetite - they are not educating themselves to eat healthy, smaller portions of food at all, they eat minimally because they don't feel hungry. But that's just the way I see it.

To everyone who has undergone, or is going to have, weight loss surgery - good luck:drinker:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing people state that weight loss surgery causes baggy skin due to the speed of weight loss. People who are candidates for weight loss surgery have quite a bit of weight to lose, and have had it for a long period of time. Those two facts are bigger contributors to the excess skin than the speed of the weight loss. If you stretch sin out far enough for long enough, it loses its elasticity.
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Hello there!

Good for you for realizing that you need help in order to keep the weight off. Please keep in mind that you will run into people who are very critical of those who have opted for weight loss surgery (even though I swear this was supposed to be a SUPPORTIVE community forum). There ARE some other people, myself included, who have had weight loss surgery and WILL be supportive and encouraging. Feel free to send me a friend request. There are people on this site who have been there and will help you along your journey.

I am sure that you have done your research and thought long and hard about opting for surgery. Unlike what most judgemental, uneducated, and criticizing people will say, those who have actually had the surgery know that is is NOT a "quick fix". It is a TOOL to help you in your journey. Just like weight watchers, Jenny Craig, and other programs that people shell out a bunch of money for -- it is a TOOL not all cure all, fix all. Yes, YOU still have to do the work. YOU HAVE to be accountable and follow your doctor's orders. They WILL tell you what foods you can eat and what you SHOULD/NEED to AVOID and HOW MUCH how should consume in order to be SUCCESSFUL. YOU will still need to make better decisions. YOU WILL NEED to start some kind of exercise regimen in order to take the weight off CORRECTLY.

Wow... when you put it like that, it's really NOT a quick fix, now is it? There ARE rules to follow, protocol for what you can eat and when and FOLLOW UPS. A good program will offer support groups as well.

Yes, there are SOME (NOT ALL) people that DO NOT follow the rules/guidelines that are set forth with weight loss surgery. There are SOME people who do this for the WRONG reasons. But for every one or two of those "lazy" people, there are A TON more of us that are doing what we need to be doing. You will find some incredibly amazing, motivating and best of all, SUPPORTIVE friends on here that will INSPIRE you and be there to answer any questions you may have.

Good luck to you!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My mother had this surgery done 3 years ago this month...She has lost alot of weight, but has a alot of saggy skin left, even after the tucks. She hasn't had a huge host of problems, though personally it is annoying to be around her and to hear her constantly tell me I need to lose weight I should look into the surgery ect. She does have to take extra vitamins and stuff her drs give her b/c her body is constantly starving itself and she stays in a malnourished state.
  • izzy71421
    Options
    Hi. I'm Lisa. Here's just a little information that I know and would like for you to consider. I had the lap band done about 5 years ago. I was at 280 lbs and only 5'3" tall...basically a beach ball. I'm now at 116 lbs. and loving life. It's has taken a while and a little (repeat little) effort on my part. Now I have some friends who have had this surgery and not seen as great results because they didn't use the band as a tool to dieting...so. But in the end, I'm so glad I did the band instead of gastric bypass. My sister opted for gastric bypass. She dropped her weight immediately; from 350 lbs to 160 lbs. She seemed to be doing great. Has to really watch ANY type of sugar intake, but we all thought she was great. Until now, 3 years after her surgery. She's not maintaining enough nutrients in her system. Everyday, twice a day, she has to take a huge handful of vitamins..and then even has to drink liquid vitamins on top of it. She is feeling drained and weak all the time. She has even had two major seizures that landed her into ICU and we thought we lost her. Because of her malnutrition (directly related to the band), she has to take seizure medication - which is now causing her to gain weight. It's a viscous circle.
    Now, I know...everyone is different..but this is the third person I know who has had problems with the bypass. Not one person I know has had problems with the lap band. The lapband may take a little longer to see results, but the results are healthy and your in control of the situation at all time. I didn't send this email to you to discourage you, but just to consider all the facts that people don't share with you before the surgery. Wishing you the best with what ever you may decide to do!! L
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    I too am a nurse and take calls everyday from people who have had this surgery. After talking with these people I would never have this surgery done. It's scary how many problems these people have and the procedure is permanent. I don't want to be a downer in your decision, but it is a big one! And you are so very young. I wish you luck and recommend that you continue to reach out to others who have had this surgery so you can make an informed decision before you alter your s
    Body forever.
  • dlmarkley66
    Options
    I just want to add that I don't feel that anyone is being negative about your choices. I have never considered weight loss surgery as "cheating". Weight loss takes work, a lot if work and I know that weight loss surgery is a lot of work. With all of the preparing for it, usually a years worth of preparations. Then after surgery is a lifetime of eating a certain way to take Care of your new body. I think if you have researched this thoroughly and if you know what you want, then go for it. I am thinking that you would like to hear both sides of the coin since you reached out for the information. I think it was a great idea to do. Unfortunately everything in life has at least 2 sides to consider and I think you are getting a lot of good replies. Hang in there and you will make the decision that is right for you.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am totally anti-weight loss surgery of any kind. I've seen all kinds of scenarios w/ gastric bypass. Just like the other posters said, I've known ppl who have vomited after every meal after surgery, I've seen people who had to go on diabetic type diets permanently because the surgery has damaged their ability to process and breakdown sugars, I've seen people who only lost maybe 50 lbs at the most, hernias are very common, so that is a 2nd surgery you will have to go thru after the bypass. People don't realize w/ gastric bypass, your digestive anatomy is forever altered and will never be the same. We have to look past the weight loss glamour of it and see it as the serious operation that it is. Gastric bypass is often a band-aid to cover up more serious issues in regards to why people eat the way they do. Have you ever thought of looking at some underlying emotional issues that are causing you to eat? If you're losing weight now you can do it without the surgery.

Plus consider excess skin from such sudden weight loss. Some insurance companies don't cover having it removed. I had a lady at my old church who had it done and she looked good for a while, but then her face started looking real sunken in and her eyes were practically bulging. Now she's gained about 30 lbs of it back which is also very common. I worked w/ a lady who had it done some years ago and you would never be able to tell, she's back to prob about 300+ pounds now. This is a very serious to consider and I will pray that you are led to make the right decision.
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be catty, I seriously want to know the answer to this....
    If you're going to have to eat small meals, cut out carbs, fizzy drinks, sugar, etc. and whatnot after having WLS, why don't you just do all of that before WLS and see if you lose the weight on your own anyway?
    My cousin had WLS and she went from being in the 240s to the 140s. She gained a bit back after having a baby, but lost it afterwards. She looked fantastic! It took her a little over a year to lose all of the weight. If she had gone on a calorie counting diet or something similar and ate right and exercised, I think she could have lost all of the weight on her own without that sort of expensive surgery. Of course, I've never had WLS, so I can't say that she could have done it on her own...I just wonder if she could have over the same period of time without the surgery.
    I'm all for people taking a "whatever works" approach to their weight loss.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Puppy Bandit, hope you realize that the original poster only wanted feed back about what we thought of surgery. Again, I can t answer , because I have never had by pass. So, youre right, I cant give my opinion of it, because of not having it done. I do have my best friend who did have it, and so did her 2 sisters.

It proved sucessful for my best friend, but unfortunatley, her 2 sisters gained all the weight back. I think the surgeries were 20, 000 , but I think the insurance companies paid.

I know , and again, Im very sympathetic to people who choose to have surgery, that they may have no options left.......I realize that if your are morbidly obese, i.e, 500 or 600 lbs, yeah.........you may want to choose to have it done, as your days may be numbered if you didnt

there was one girl here, oh wow, she lived in Austin , Texas, her name was Renne Williams, a mother of 2, and she weighed over 800 lbs.....Historically speaking, she was the largest female to have ever had the surgery.......she died within 3 weeks........she was just so big, I dont think anything would have helped her..........They had her on NOVA , and there was another series that dealt with her obescity. Then there was the biggest teenager, he lived in Houston, 848 lbs, and he was only 18. His mother had issues, and he was paying the price......again, when youre 800 lbs, and having difficulty breathing, diabetes, sleep apneia, high blood pressure, gout, cholesterol that is out of control, heart disease , and you need help , psychologically, then I say I would

But.............Im the worlds biggest chicken when it comes to Drs, and hosptials............I freak if I have to go in one to visit a friend, and I hate , hate to go to the Drs.....mainly , because I was so ashamed, weighing 350 lbs and then standing on a scale.........talk about humiliation

I totally support anyone who chooses to have it done.........they many have NO OPTIONS LEFT...........Good for them, I hope they make ir thru surgery, and they have little to no complications.......

Please realize, we were only trying to answer her HONESTLY, as she asked us HONESTLY, what we thought..........

I ve now lost 105 lbs, didnt do it with surgery, but because Im still young enough to do it, with out surgery, I chose to lose the weight without surgery........I did have high blood pressure, and I did have exercise induced asthma, but I gotta tell you, they are both gone, and now I work out daily ,2 hours a day, something I couldnt have done 8 months, and 18 days ago

Thanks for letting me put in my 2 cents..........Take care ,Ill support anyone, anyhow, anyway, that can lose weight and live to see their kids grow up.....................Llloyd

here is a video of her story....kinda sad , she really was so excited to have it done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FQsyLnVceE
  • StacySkinny
    Options

I think to most people who are telling the "horror stories" it is about total overall health rather than just weight loss. Sure, you'll lose weight doing the surgeries...but with all the side effects and the fact that you can't eat red meat without puking or drink anything carbonated without the fear of stomach swelling...I believe that those opposed to the surgeries are looking past simply weight loss and trying to help others see the negative affects these surgeries have. Nobody is judging or harrassing folks who have or are thinking about having these procedures done.

I honestly can't count on one hand the "negative" effects of a well balanced diet and exercise. Not only do you lose weight, but you improve organ functions, heart and lung efficiency, etc, etc, etc, without fear of having to limit your food intake or might get sick or worse.

But I do disagree that people who have the surgery are "lazy." Lazy would be gaining more weight for lack of any action...

I totally agree, hun. And as one poster put it - Weight loss surgery is surgically induced anorexia. I've done a LOT of research on WLS. I started out this journey morbidly obese and hadn't been able to lose weight in the past so I thought that WLS was my only option. But after reading many articles and talking to many people who have had the surgery, I couldn't think of a more accurate description than "surgically induced anorexia".