Hey Football Fans...

LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
Should Steeler linebacker Terence Garvin be fined for this hit on Bengals' punter Kevin Huber?

DESTRUCTION.gif

There was no flag on the play in the game...Huber's jaw is fractured & now the Bengals are reporting that he also suffered a fractured vertebrae.

Replies

• No

Go hard or go home

I don't watch football and have no clue what you are talking about, don't listen to me
  • wannaBrunnner81
    wannaBrunnner81 Posts: 107 Member
    Yes, it was a helmet to helmet hit. They flag offensive players for hits like that all the time. Should have been a flag.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Yes, ...that was brutal.
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    No flag.... no fine-
    getting a little crazy with the protection rules... These guys KNOW what they are getting into when they sign MULTI- MILLION dollar contracts right? IMHO they will be playing flag football if it doesn't stop. Not that i do not feel for him, and his family that he was seriously injured but, the Steeler who made the hit is paid to block &/or tackle!!
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    I disagree that it was helmet to helmet. from what i see he dropped his head and shoulder to make the block. It did hit the player near his face mask, but could the damage have been prevented? Sure it looks like he has time to correct in a slow motion .gif but in real time, they are playing honest football to my eyes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    Yes, it was a helmet to helmet hit. They flag offensive players for hits like that all the time. Should have been a flag.

this. the officials seem to want to curtail helmet to helmet contact so this was a good example.

should have been a flag under the new rules
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    I disagree that it was helmet to helmet. from what i see he dropped his head and shoulder to make the block. It did hit the player near his face mask, but could the damage have been prevented? Sure it looks like he has time to correct in a slow motion .gif but in real time, they are playing honest football to my eyes.

I agree that protection rules are getting out of control...half the time I think we're going to end up having professional flag football players running around the field. However, in this case, Garvin appears to drop his shoulder specifically to make contact with his helmet. To me...it looks like a dirty hit.

Should Huber have been paying more attention? Definitely. You've got to have your head on a swivel when you're guarding against kick returns. Does he deserve to have his career possibly ended because someone decided to be an asshat & lead with his helmet? No...
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    yes, it was helmet to chin.

galvin just ended the guys career. he has a broken jaw and a broken neck.

If you watch he feet, he also launches (both feet off ground when he hits the punter)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    If that's legal, might as well bring back clotheslines. Less risk for both players.
  • nickowastaken
    nickowastaken Posts: 751 Member
    There must've been a wardrobe malfunction because the ball is the wrong shape.
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    He will be fined. Punters during a kick or during a return are considered to be players in a defenseless posture. Prohibited contact against a player who is in a defenseless posture is:
    (1) Forcibly hitting the defenseless player’s head or neck area with the helmet, facemask, forearm, or shoulder, even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet or facemask is lower than the neck, and regardless of whether the defensive player also uses his arms to tackle the defenseless player by encircling or grasping him; or
    (2) Lowering the head and making forcible contact with the top/crown or forehead/hairline parts of the helmet against any part of the defenseless player’s body; or
    (3) Illegally launching into a defenseless opponent. It is an illegal launch if a player (i) leaves both feet prior to contact to spring forward and upward into his opponent, and (ii) uses any part of his helmet (including the top/crown and forehead/hairline parts) to initiate forcible contact against any part of his opponent’s body.

He covered both 1 and 2 in my opinion.
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    He led with his shoulder. No fine.