How do you gauge your strength training success?

Options
13»

Replies

• AddyB80
    Options
    More of the following really,

Weight that the past session,
    Reps than the last session,
    Sets than the last session,

Or less recovery time,

Hope that helps.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    My suggestion, find a credible trainer and do a 1 rep max test on legs and chest. He/She will create a program that will increase your strength and therefore reach your goals.

The muscular endurance is for repitions..how many push ups you can do as opposed to how much you can lift.
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When next weeks weight is more than this weeks.

True for me too... it's kind of the point of StrongLifts 5x5 :)
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I held a plank for three minutes a couple of weeks ago, and I've definitely never done that before. Also, just admiring my biceps or periodically poking my stomach to feel the fat-muscle ratio changing is fun. Insanity's Fit Test was a great way to gauge progress when I was doing the program, too, and I wonder if it would be appropriate to test my gains from the class I'm in now.

Have you done the plank challenge? I came across one of FB and it has really helped me. I like how people look at you funny when you can hold a plank for 3 or 4 minutes. LOL
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    When I set new PRs on the platform in a powerlifting meet. Also, just when I set PRs in general, but meet PRs are super special.

^^^^ This x 2!!!

Gym PR's are all good and well, but Meet\Comp Lifts are more strict, and you can't really get one with poor form

Lifts on the Platform are so much better, as they don't get passed if you squat high etc....

As for Lifts I love to see progress on... Most!!

Deadlifts have been flying lately (+70Lbs increase on 1RM in 4 Months)...
    Squat
    and SOP - Just as I like training shoulders!

Also.... no offence..... but Damn you Newbie's and your Newbie Gains!!! I've been training for 3 1/2 years now, no such thing as Newbie Gains for me now.......
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    When I went down a pant size and I know my eating wasn't as it should be.
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    When I could actually shovel snow this year and not be sore the next day!!!
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    5 rep max test. Use a weight you can get 5 reps with.

5 reps won't test your endurance too much, and doing your 1 rep max can be dangerous.

You can use a 1 rep max calculator to see if you're improving.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    the weight on the bar and the number of reps I am doing…as long as one of those are going up, I am all good...
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I do progressive calisthenics so for me it would be an increase of time under tension (for example lowering in a standard pushup to a count of 15 seconds and pushing back up each rep) or moving up to a more demanding exercise for the same muscle group - standard pushup to close hand pushup to decline pushups etc,; always staying within strength range (for me that's 5-8 reps per set, 5 sets) and moving to a harder exercise once that target is met.