Hate Working Out!

Options

Replies

• Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people have hit the nail on the head - find something you DO enjoy!!

For years I would sporadically exercise, doing cardio (walking, running, elliptical, bikes etc) and would never stick with it as it felt like a chore. My boyfriend convinced me to try lifting about 6 months ago and I haven't looked back! i love going to the gym and now make it all the time, despite the 'excuses' that I used to have not to go - such as migraines. Enjoying the exercise is what will keep you motivated and going back.

For some people it will take awhile to begin to like something, but i suggest you play around and try a bunch of different types of exercise to see what you want to do, or even what doesnt make you cringe thinking about going to do it!!
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think everyone hates it at first. You eventually adjust to it, & get into the motion of doing it & it becomes easier. I used to hate it, especially sweating, but now I just love it & embrace it all. It certainly gets easier over time after your body adjusts. Just do something that is easy for you to do, & doesn't make you sick or feel worse during it. It's not good to feel bad during the workout.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Find something that excites you about working out, it doesn't always have to be painful/boring in order for it to work....
  • dadof2boyz
    dadof2boyz Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when i started 1.5yrs ago with a trainer I hated it too. It took a good 3 months to get in the habit of working out. I finally "enjoy" it and look forward to my workouts and get grouchy if I have to miss. I had to keep reminding myself of the end goal; healthier better me. :)

*THIS* It's true. It takes time for you to change your habits. Give it at least 27 days, that's how long it takes to commit to a new activity to make it habitual (or something close to 27!). But there are true statistics on this. You have to keep at it, even when you don't want to, and after a month, you'll start to notice that you begin enjoying it and will begin to notice the changes to your body and your attitude. Hang in there. You can do this!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am working with a personal trainer and to tell you the truth, if I hadn't paid in advance, I probably wouldn't go. She's great, but I just hate working out. I feel awful while I'm doing it and I feel awful afterward. I know I'm way out of shape and everyone says it will get easier, but I absolutely dread my workout days. Anyone else feel this way?

fwiw I loathe training in a gym, would much rather get out in the fresh air. I enjoy running, cycling, swimming and my rowing machine.

I find weight training bores me to tears, but it's something that has to be done to reduce the chances of injury from the running and rowing.

It may be that you just don't enjoy it, and that's fine, but that means that your prospects of sticking are limited. Think about your motivations, and try to work out something that will help you to at least stick with it, if not enjoy. Equally, you may want to try other sports to identify something that does work for you.

I'd also observe that when you say you feel "awful", that may mean that what you're doing is inappropriate, or it may just be a symptom of your current level of conditioning. Might be worth discussing that with your trainer.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I hate working out too.

But I find when I do something that doesn't FEEL like working out (biking, hiking, swimming, tennis) I find it much more enjoyable. Pretty much anything other than jogging, which is evil to me.
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I love the feeling in my muscles after a strength workout, the aches etc. My mum tells me I'm weird but I love knowing I've really kicked my a55 but that my body will be stronger for it.

I agree with the poster above who said not to underestimate the power of a positive attitude. I cycle to work 6 miles each way every weekday, and if I tell myself I don't like cycling, its hard work, I wish I didn't have to do it etc I slow down, every pedal stroke becomes a slog etc. Whereas if I stay positive it flies by and I find I can go faster. So try telling yourself you like it (or find something you DO like!) and it will help.
  • ehsan517
    ehsan517 Posts: 114
    Options
    thats why you do workouts you enjoy, not something someone tells you to do.
    and if you hate all workouts, then ...well...good luck with your goals...
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Loathe, despise and abhor it - such a waste of time that could be spent doing things that are more productive and/or I actually enjoy. That said, it's a necessary evil, and I do enjoy the extra calories it buys me.

Try to figure out exactly what aspects of the whole miserable process you dislike most, and then try out styles of exercise that minimise these issues. For example, I will not go anywhere near a treadmill or stationary bike - the boredom is beyond intolerable - and I despise getting red-faced and sweaty in the public view, but walking 45-50 minutes outdoors at a brisk pace as a one-way commute five days/week doesn't take away much additional time from my day, I don't get noticeably red-faced, just a bit 'glowy' and I can shower if I need to as soon as I get home. It also burns a decent number of calories. I only go to the gym a couple of times a week for things I can't do as a part of normal day-to-day life - heavy weights and the rowing machine, which I use for a specific reason, which counteracts the boredom somewhat.

For exercise to be sustainable for the non sports-nuts of this world, it basically comes down to finding ways to move every day that you can tolerate, or make necessary, rather than imposing something you hate on yourself just because you 'should'. Your trainer should also be able to suggest less loathsome alternatives if you tell him/her what your feelings are.
  • pahock
    pahock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I worked out with my trainer last night and told her my concerns. I think I'm just incredibly self conscious at this point. Also, I'm a perfectionist so if I don't do something well I don't like to do it. I need to give myself time to gain stamina and strength. I have done Zumba in the past so I'm going to a class on Thursday with a friend. I was a dancer for many years so if I can incorporate that into workouts I think I'll be happier.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, I've been sick for 4 days and I'm upset that I'm unable to work out.

I *believe* OP was looking for people who've been in her position and made the attitude shift to enjoying working out...

So many perfect people around here. :grumble:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I worked out with my trainer last night and told her my concerns. I think I'm just incredibly self conscious at this point. Also, I'm a perfectionist so if I don't do something well I don't like to do it. I need to give myself time to gain stamina and strength. I have done Zumba in the past so I'm going to a class on Thursday with a friend. I was a dancer for many years so if I can incorporate that into workouts I think I'll be happier.

Good for you! It's good that you're willing to adapt! :happy:
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    No. In fact, I've been sick for 4 days and I'm upset that I'm unable to work out.

I *believe* OP was looking for people who've been in her position and made the attitude shift to enjoying working out...

I'm so glad you took my two sentences and drew the conclusion that I'm perfect out if them. The OP asked a question in a public forum which means anyone with any opinion can answer. I'm sorry if I struck a nerve.

I did hate to exercise until I found something that I love to do. Now it's no longer a chore to work out.
  • pahock
    pahock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I take no offense. I really want to get the point where I enjoy it.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    You will get to a point you will enjoy it. You just have to find what works for you. I hated it when I first started it, then I grew to love it. I've had to take the last month off for many of reasons and I honestly dislike the way I feel more when not working out. Plus, it's good for your bones!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

I'm so glad you took my two sentences and drew the conclusion that I'm perfect out if them. The OP asked a question in a public forum which means anyone with any opinion can answer. I'm sorry if I struck a nerve.

I did hate to exercise until I found something that I love to do. Now it's no longer a chore to work out.

Yeah, that was pretty uncalled for. Sorry about that. :flowerforyou:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I hate working out - i hurt the entire time, I hate fighting the crowd @ the gym, hate all the time going there and driving home, then dealing w/ everything else I have to in a day. I never feel better afterwards, just exhausted. And in pain - always more damn PAIN.

Then I hate the fact that I know in 24-48 hours later I will be in pain (DOMS) and have to force myself to do the same horriblness again (working out)

But i love food so I suffer, until they start making "Food Pills"
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Honestly? No, I don't hate it at all. I crave working out.

Oh sure it's hard getting started. But getting the hang of it will come. Years ago, when I first started working out, that's when it was the most mentally challenging. I had the hardest time seeing my end result a year or so (or many) down the road.

I have a few Life mottos, with one being: "If it's not fun, I'm not doing it." I realized early working out HAD to be something I enjoyed, or it wouldn't last. So I found exercises I liked. The dread went away, and I became a happy boy in workout clothes.

What's fun to you? Do you enjoy being outdoors? There are tons of outdoor exercises. Running, walking, cycling, inline skating, canoeing, kayaking, it's endless. Indoors kind of person? What about hoops or volleyball at a local gym? Zumba, ice skating, swimming, or weight lifting are pretty good exercises.

If you dread working with your trainer, then take some time and find something you don't dread. Then it'll go from a chore to a fun time. And you'll never tire of having fun. I promise you that.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I LOVE leslie sansone or doing anything with Chalene Johnson! At home DVDs is where the majority of my calories are burnt. Gyms - yes once in a while, but it is just not what I enjoy.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think if I had a personal trainer--I wouldn't like it either. I like being able to push myself if I want to push myself or have an easier workout if I want. I very much enjoy working out because it is on my own terms.