How do you say goodbye?

Options
2»

Replies

• _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This just made me cry, I lost my dad in 2007 he was only 52 years old. I feel your pain and wish the best for all of your family. I am so sorry for you loss.
  • BorntoROAR
    BorntoROAR Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beautiful Susan. That is a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man who obviously took her role as "father" to you very seriously. He will always be a part of you, even though you have to say goodbye to his physical body!! You are a strong woman, my friend! :)
  • squishybarb
    squishybarb Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So sorry.. :cry:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've been there.. I'm so sorry sweety... I would hug you if I could.

It's been 7 months since I watched my mom die. I can promise you it gets better. :heart:
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am so very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what you are going through. Know that your father is now strong and healthy, running like the wind and waiting for you to join him, always watching and loving you. God bless!
  • DocMarr
    DocMarr Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    In tears too. I lost my own father on 3rd September this year and that's exactly what happened as he reached the end. You described it exactly.

He hung on an extra day or two after life support was removed to die on his and mum's 55th wedding anniversary, which was particularly heart breaking.

There's no denying that you have a hard time to come. The 'goodbye' is awful but the carrying on without him is the most painful part.

I found that reading helped me understand what I was going through - a book called 'Death of a parent: transition to a new adult identity' by Debra Umberson particularly helpful.

I wish you strength for the time to come.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    imo, that's a debt that can never be repaid, we spend our whole lives trying to say thank you for the lessons, the values, the being there, but fall short. But your words are true to heart and a beautiful tribute to the man.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WOW!, I am going thru this right now,,, oh I am sad now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

It's been 7 months since I watched my mom die. I can promise you it gets better. :heart:

I lost my mom in August to colon cancer, and I watched her go through this same thing... It really does not get easier.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I did this last year on Mother's Day with my father and this Thanksgiving with my step father... and you are correct - you just do it. I know your heart is breaking and will be for a while but after time, you will be able to smile again at the memories and laugh at the jokes he used to make (my dad was completely redneck lol).

Please know that I feel for you and understand - if you need to vent you can message me :) Stay strong and love hard.
  • Mad_Dog_Muscle
    Mad_Dog_Muscle Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. I lost my mom this past July and it was the hardest thing I have ever done.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I think you've done it just "right". My condolences.
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

I lost my mom in August to colon cancer, and I watched her go through this same thing... It really does not get easier.

My mom had colon cancer too :(.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot for me to tear up but that post did it. My thoughts are with you and your family :cry:
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I never did get to say goodbye. It's almost easier that I didn't. Very sorry for your loss.