Protein SNACK ideas?

Options
I am working extra hard on trying to get my protein allotment for the day. I do not eat meat (but yes to poultry, fish, cottage cheese and eggs). Yogurt is out because I cannot find a brand locally that does not a have gelatin (remember my no-meat detail, thus no gelatin). I don't drink milk (but yes to soy milk). It is not a "calorie thing", I just don't eat those things.

I try to make my snack foods high in protein so that I can get my count in for the day. So, what are some of your favorite snack foods that are high in protein?

Replies

• aNewKristin
    Options
    try almonds. Blue Diamond now has 100cal packs! The Dark Chocolate dusted ones are fabulous :)

Another idea for added protein is adding nuts and dried fruits to oatmeal in the morning; think Starbucks oatmeal, but if you make it yourself it's cheaper. I make mine with light vanilla soy milk, mmm mmm good :)
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes and peanut butter .. 1 cake 1 tsp peanutbutter.... and have 2. I see cottage cheese.... So...you could put that on too.
    I don't know if you do other cheeses... but I take mushrooms.... about 0.5 cups and put mozarella cheese on them and heat in microwave.... great for a snack and protein.... you can add walnuts to your cereal or eat 6 halves for a snacky serving:happy: . Those are the onew I use the most.... good luck
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    protein shakes? or adding protien powder into other stuff like vanilla protien powder in a smoothie, just one scoop or so that will add a good amount of protein.
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    V-8 Juice & Hard Boiled Egg
    Boar's Head Turkey & Cheese Stick
    3 Egg Whites & Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Links
    Atkins Shakes or Protein Bars
    Turkey Burger & Cottage Cheese
    Fisher Cinnamon Pecans
  • amyfly
    amyfly Posts: 137
    Options
    Almond butter on toast or edamame are two of my favorites. I also read that some types of greek yogurt (Fage is one brand) don't have gelatin in them and greek yogurt is higher in protein than reg. yogurt. Hope this helps!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    String cheese, turkey jerky (home made), boiled eggs, chicken chunks, cottage cheese, nuts, PB or powdered egg whites in a smoothie.
  • fullboost
    fullboost Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Tuna? one can, about 30g of protein.
    Peanut butter as mentioned.
    Cottage cheese
    Whey protein supplement
    Chicken breast if you eat poultry?
  • 2BSuccessful
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I forgot about canned tuna and peanut butter. Those will be in the local store. But I've never seen Greek Yogurt. :(

Right now mangos are in season. They are my newest fruit favorite. Not exactly high in protein though. Wonder if there is a high protein fruit? That would be a yummy way to get protein .... sweet and good and full of fiber.596.gif
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I love rice cakes and peanut butter .. 1 cake 1 tsp peanutbutter.... and have 2. I see cottage cheese.... So...you could put that on too.
    I don't know if you do other cheeses... but I take mushrooms.... about 0.5 cups and put mozarella cheese on them and heat in microwave.... great for a snack and protein.... you can add walnuts to your cereal or eat 6 halves for a snacky serving:happy: . Those are the onew I use the most.... good luck

yes!!! Chocolate Rice cakes and PB is great, with some skim milk!