Menses question

Options
In my admittedly lazy googling I found a lot of information about exercise causing lighter periods and also missed periods. But has anybody had it cause really really light but also more frequent periods? I'm having that happen and I think it's the exercise...

Replies

• Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Are you new to exercise?

It's not having any effect on mine and I'm doing Insanity.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm not "new" to it, but I recently reacquired it :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Exercise shouldn't be causing more frequent periods, unless you are working out so hard and so long that you are stressing your body, causing breakthrough spotting. I honestly don't think it's related, I'd get it checkout by your gynecologist.

When a woman's body gets below a certain body fat percentage (usually between athletic and elite) her periods can stop.
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    Exercise shouldn't be causing more frequent periods, unless you are working out so hard and so long that you are stressing your body, causing breakthrough spotting. I honestly don't think it's related, I'd get it checkout by your gynecologist.

When a woman's body gets below a certain body fat percentage (usually between athletic and elite) her periods can stop.

I'm still borderline overweight so it's definitely not low fat. It's about time for my annual anyways. I'm curious to see if it evens out though as my body adjusts.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten the Depo-Provera shot? Or any other kind of birth control? They can cause spotting.

Exercise and calorie restriction has made mine very irregular... but definitely not more frequent.

I would see a doctor if you are concerned.
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    I'm on the mini pill, if I miss a pill it does cause spotting but it isn't like this. I guess that could be affecting things though.
  • Fern890
    Fern890 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've lost around 28 lbs and now my period has changed to over 40 day cycle and are ver y irregular and painful. I think sudden changes to your body can have a massive affect on your cycle. Lots of hormone is stored in fat cells so suddenly losing so much has sent mine a little off kilter... I now have acne for the first time at 24 ...
  • pinkiemarie252
    Options
    I've lost around 28 lbs and now my period has changed to over 40 day cycle and are ver y irregular and painful. I think sudden changes to your body can have a massive affect on your cycle. Lots of hormone is stored in fat cells so suddenly losing so much has sent mine a little off kilter... I now have acne for the first time at 24 ...

Lol...that really sucks...but I'm 33 and I've always had acne so I sympathize :)