Do I have an eating disorder?

Options
I'm clearly not anorexic or bulimic. I do however think I might have a problem with food.

I'm the classic Syndrome X (High Blood Pressure, Diabetic, High Cholesterol).
I exercise at least 45minutes, 3 times a week.
I know I need to lose weight. I know it is shortening my life.
Yet I find myself in front of the pantry or refrigerator looking for something to eat, even when I'm not hungry.
I can even be telling myself, "I should not be doing this, I need to lose weight. I'm not even hungry."
Yet I make that sandwich or chips and salsa.

Is this just a lack of self control or do I maybe have a larger problem?

Replies

• THECaptainObvious
    THECaptainObvious Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    What are you doing right before you find yourself going to the pantry? Lots of people do that out of boredom.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    That has something to do with it. But I also find myself overeating at meals and eating foods that are literally lethal to me (donuts/candy/etc).
  • JoanaMHill
    JoanaMHill Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It sounds more like impulse control issues than necessarily an "eating disorder." I've had issues with this for years; there was a time when we couldn't keep a package of cookies or donuts in the house for very long because I'd keep going back to it even when I'd just eaten a meal. If boredom has to do with it, just try keeping yourself busy. Being out of the house definitely helps if it's simply a matter of going over to the fridge or pantry. Cooking less at meals and using smaller plates can also help with portion control (less room on the plate and less food to eat in the first place).
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Only a doctor can diagnose you with an eating disorder. If you are truly concerned, seek a professional opinion.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    Is it just impulse control, or is there even a classification for what I'm describing?
    I like to research online as much as I can, but I can't find anything.
  • Carrie_P81
    Carrie_P81 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I believe there is an official binge eating disorder...maybe look into that?
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Binge Eating Disorder is considered Eating Disorder NOS (at least under the DSM-IV-TR... I haven't bothered to look up the new DSM-V as it has just released). Described as Recurrent episodes of binge eating in the absence of the regular use of inappropriate compensatory behaviors characteristic of Bulimia Nervosa. Keep in mind there is a specific defination of binge eating... not the one people necessarily throw around. That being said, diagnosing everything doesn't necessarily give you answers. Also, just because it's a eating disorder doesn't necessarily mean the self control or boredom isn't a factor. Of course, food is a source of self soothing for a lot of people. If your worried, go see a doctor. Get involved with a multidisciplinary team that includes mental health (if it truly is ED NOS).

Edit: Definately not enough info to give any sort of diagnosis. But like I said, diagnosis don't always lead to answers. In fact, there are people out there that like to pet and hold their diagnosis like treasures. Not healthy. Good luck in your journey and I hope you get professional help (ie see a doctor) if your truly worried.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Stupid question: Why does your pantry have food in it that can kill you?

Edit: Not being mean. For example I LOVE kiwi. Recently (last few years) developed a pretty serious allergy to it. I don't buy kiwi because it would be a bad idea to tempt myself into eating it. My husband does not buy kiwi or food with kiwi in it because he would rather me not die...
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    So that was a separate comment.
    I'm diabetic, cookies, candy and donuts can be lethal.
    I try not to have candy and the sort in the house but for the holidays where there is Halloween candy, for example.
    Also at work, when people bring in doughnuts or other sweets.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Fair enough. I just wanted to make sure those closest to you were being sensitive to your health needs. Growing up in a family where you clean your plate and don't waste food this was a difficult lesson to learn: Throw it away... Or bring it to work and share they calories as they have been doing to you. I try to avoid the break room during the holiday season because of said goodies. Bring healthy snacks that you enjoy for yourself as a substitute. Hey, maybe your office might take part in a new years biggest loser. Might bring down the food bringing for everyone. Good luck!
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Due to the lack of information, nobody is going to be able to give you an appropriate answer. If you are that concerned, I suggest seeking a professional.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    I understand this isn't a medical community. But I'm sure as soon as I go see a professional, I'll have a "problem", if you know what I mean.

I just want to know, is this just me needing to work on impulse control and changing habits, or something that I do need to talk to a doctor about, beyond my physical health problems.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I understand this isn't a medical community. But I'm sure as soon as I go see a professional, I'll have a "problem", if you know what I mean.

I just want to know, is this just me needing to work on impulse control and changing habits, or something that I do need to talk to a doctor about, beyond my physical health problems.

And again…nobody is going to be able to give you an appropriate answer because we do not know your history, current symptoms (if any), current behaviors and a wide range of other details that would be needed to properly say "yes" or "no" to your original question. A good professional will not "give" you a problem if you truly do not have one. If that is the reason that you are not going to see one, then maybe try to work on your impulse control and changing your habits on your own to see if there are any changes. However, if you are really concerned about it, I stand by my original advice to seek a professional.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Yes, given how insurance works here in the US (and probably most countries) you will likely receive a diagnosis as soon as you see a professional. Of course, if you go to a visit related to your diabeties, maybe less so since they already have a billable diagnosis. That being said, if this is something that you have had a hard time tackling on your own maybe professional is the way to go. Take note if what is driving your eating. If it's just boredom, then probably not an ED.

Edit: You really can diagnosis just about anything these days. The question still remains, what value are you placing on the diagnosis? The purpose of a diagnosis is to name an issue so other professionals understand the issue at hand when reviewing records. Creating a common language if you will. It also guides treatment. But it's not magic.
  • 19wilson88
    19wilson88 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Well, it sounds like food does something for you, aside from feeding your body enough calories to function. That is, you have an urge to eat that is unrelated to physical hunger. It might help you to try to figure out where this urge is coming from.

Other people have mentioned boredom; that's often the case for me. Food is comforting, too. And sugar does activate the "reward center" in your brain; perhaps you are craving some sort of positive experience/feeling, and food is a simple, accessible route to that. In the long run, it's not very helpful though.

In the future, whenever you feel that urge to eat when you are not physically hungry, try to pay attention to what else is going on in your head and in your brain. What are you thinking? What are you feeling (aside from this urge to binge)? Maybe try writing it down, whatever it is, however silly it seems.

I don't think that this unhealthy behavior means you have no self control; overeating in this way is really, really common, and lots otherwise successful people struggle with it. It is a habit though, and habits are very difficult to break. The simplest thing to do might be replacing this habit for a "better" one, such as a walk or a cup of tea when the urge strikes.

Finally, if you can afford it, it might be worth your while to talk to a therapist. Or read "Intuitive Eating," which addresses several dysfunctional eating patterns.
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    is it a case that you CAN'T stop yourself going for the food, or that you don't want to stop yourself?
    if you are honestly like blue in the face trying to force yourself not to, and you still can't resist it, maybe it's a disorder
    if it is simply a case of "oh, i shouldnt, but yum yum i will anyway" maybe it is greed, laziness or you are looking for a way to explain it away..

only you can answer that really
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Bing eeating disorder, maybe?

Are you an emotional eater?
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I think that you should try working on controlling your urges to eat bad food and changing your habits. You can do it on your own. But if you've been trying and still have a hard time controlling it, then you should seek professional help. There's no shame in that. I think you just need to figure out if you've done all you can on your own. Only you know how much of an issue this is for you.
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I think I am like that a bit so I keep no bad foods in the house, that way when i want food out of boredom there isn't anything quick and easy to eat. It helps so much! Try it.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You seem bored. Try keeping your hands and/or mouth busy, with sugar free gum or hard candies, a hobby that takes up both your hands (for example my husband does miniature modeling and I sew).