Worlds Greatest Athelte ever?????

Options

Replies

• GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Rafael Nadal.

What???? Chaz, I know were Pals and all but are you even serious?? early day drinking Brother?? lol.. Ok, make your case........

Tennis athletes are under rated for their endurance and stamina, precisions, control, and mental game. With that in mind, in my mind Rafa is the greatest of all time in the sport, and in general Amazing. He has dominated all his opponents, with a winning record against ever peer, and is top in too many categories to list. Then there is his humility and humanity.

Couldn't agree more on the first point.. However, I have to say as an athlete all together, I find Pete Sampras better
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Tim Tebow

Thanks for the laugh :)

you're just jealous! :angry:

Um no. I just don't like him.

But what about Mark Allen? He could be up in the ranks if you ask me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Michael Phelps has to be part of the discussion, with the most Olympic medals and most gold medals.

What has always been my problem with the "accumulation of medals = ___" argument is that there are plenty of Olympic sports where an athlete has one or two chances at a medal, and that's it. If you are a swimmer, you can be in a disproportional amount of events and have multiple chances of winning. so while Michael Phelps is a great athlete, a fantastic swimmer and the most decorated, the accumulation of awards doesn't automatically make him even the best Olympian in my eyes.

Agreed.

IMO, Steve Redgrave ranks up there. 5 gold medals in 5 consecutive Olympics in a grueling endurance sport (and a diabetic).
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    chuck connors > michael jordan

both played in the NBA
    both have shoes named after them
    both made movies
    chuck conners played in MLB. michael jordan didn't.

therefore, chuck connors > michael jordan

chuckconnors.jpg
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    LBJ

Let the flaming begin. I'm ready

68bc84eb8a67155bba8fb7af3e3b0238.jpg
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Tim Tebow

*bows* I'll be here all week folks

I see what you did there.
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Here you go Amerocentrics....

Lionel Pretoria Conacher, MP (/ˈkɒnəkər/; May 24, 1900 – May 26, 1954), nicknamed "The Big Train", was a Canadian athlete and politician. Voted the country's top athlete of the first half of the 20th century, he won championships in numerous sports. His first passion was football; he was a member of the 1921 Grey Cup champion Toronto Argonauts. He was a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team that won the International League championship in 1926. In hockey, he won a Memorial Cup in 1920, and the Stanley Cup twice: with the Chicago Black Hawks in 1934 and the Montreal Maroons in 1935. Additionally, he won wrestling, boxing and lacrosse championships during his playing career. He and Carl Voss are the only players to have their names engraved on both the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup.

Football, baseball, hockey, boxing, wrestling, lacrosse, and politics for the win.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    bruce lee
  • fishnbrah
    Options
    By technical definition, Aston Eaton is currently "The World's Greatest Athlete."

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Greatest_Athlete

No one else can properly receive the title.

theres no technical definition of greatest athlete.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Tim Tebow

tebow-crying-o.gif

meetsomeonewhohates.gif
    Roll tide ;)
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Here you go Amerocentrics....

Lionel Pretoria Conacher, MP (/ˈkɒnəkər/; May 24, 1900 – May 26, 1954), nicknamed "The Big Train", was a Canadian athlete and politician. Voted the country's top athlete of the first half of the 20th century, he won championships in numerous sports. His first passion was football; he was a member of the 1921 Grey Cup champion Toronto Argonauts. He was a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs baseball team that won the International League championship in 1926. In hockey, he won a Memorial Cup in 1920, and the Stanley Cup twice: with the Chicago Black Hawks in 1934 and the Montreal Maroons in 1935. Additionally, he won wrestling, boxing and lacrosse championships during his playing career. He and Carl Voss are the only players to have their names engraved on both the Grey Cup and Stanley Cup.

Football, baseball, hockey, boxing, wrestling, lacrosse, and politics for the win.

Obvious juicer.
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Floats like a butterfly. Stings like a bee.

53806_muhammad_ali_nokaut1.jpg
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Double post.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    SECRETARIAT. No question. Watch video of his 1973 Belmont... no human athlete comes even close to what he could do.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    +1 for BO JACKSON.
  • JBnyc99
    JBnyc99 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    No contest,...Willie Mays Hayes.

After retiring from a stellar baseball career, he bulked up and started killing vampires for a living. Too bad he ended up in jail for tax evasion. Even so, Badass x 10!
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Tim Tebow

tebow-crying-o.gif

meetsomeonewhohates.gif
    Roll tide ;)

Awesome..... lol.....
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    Babe Didrikson Zaharias

All-American basketball player, Olympic Gold (javelin and 80-meter hurdles) and Silver medalist (in high jump)...she actually qualified to compete in five events but was only allowed to compete in three. She then turned to golf and went on to be the LPGA's leading player throughout the 1940s and 50s.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Babe Didrikson Zaharias

All-American basketball player, Olympic Gold (javelin and 80-meter hurdles) and Silver medalist (in high jump)...she actually qualified to compete in five events but was only allowed to compete in three. She then turned to golf and went on to be the LPGA's leading player throughout the 1940s and 50s.

She's got a convincing collection of facts here . . .
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    By technical definition, Aston Eaton is currently "The World's Greatest Athlete."

See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World's_Greatest_Athlete

No one else can properly receive the title.

theres no technical definition of greatest athlete.

Perhaps.

But on the other hand if being the best in the world at something like the decathlon doesn't get you considered for the top spot I'm not sure what does. An olympic decathalon champ is the best overall in ten different disciplines, displaying various types of strength, speed and coordination and general athletic ability.

This may be more impressive than being really great at say, hitting a baseball.