Dole & Monsanto are getting married :(

Options
Dole will now be sleeping with the devil. What a shame. Dole could have brought organics to mainstream at a cheaper price so everyone can afford it however they will be partnering with one of the biggest chemical companies in the US to bring you frankenfood. Spinach, lettuce, cauliflower, and broccoli will now be added to the long list of nature's goods that Monsanto has destroyed. Corn, soybeans, sugarbeets, potatoes, tomatoes are all pretty much written off and now the list grows. Dole claims they are just looking to enhance their natural breeding techniques....well you don't need a chemical/boitechnology company to do that how bout a good ole organic farmer - he's got the knowledge & it would actually be good for the planet. I am very disgusted by all of this.

Nature is perfect & the reasons to leave it be are endless. I can't think of one reason to mess with it other than money. I know my money will not be a vote for this.

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the topic -- can you tell me where you found the info. I would be interested to read up on it myself.
  • rockinmomto3
    rockinmomto3 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Wow. That is so sad. Just another reason to buy from farmers markets!
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    It doesnt shock me one bit! Dole is a huge major corporation and ALL they care about is money, dont let any of their cleaver marketing techniques fool you, it is all about the dollar, not our health or the Earth!
  • vineas
    vineas Posts: 84
    Options
    So basically - from here out, unless it specifically says "organic", assume it's a frankenfood.

BTW, article is here: http://www.examiner.com/food-in-midland-odessa/dole-monsanto-and-the-gmo-genetically-modified-food-war-part-1
  • jdier
    jdier Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's too bad that corporations won't actually care about the customer's health!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Dole is an organic company anyway. We should not be surprised. I know I'm nkt.
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The only way you are going to get ANY food that has not been genetically engineered is to grow it yourself. Almost all processed food has it. How do you think we get seedless grapes and oranges? Personally, I believe the worlds food supply would diminish without it.
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    The only way you are going to get ANY food that has not been genetically engineered is to grow it yourself. Almost all processed food has it. How do you think we get seedless grapes and oranges? Personally, I believe the worlds food supply would diminish without it.

I dunno, I think thats what they WANT us to think! That without all the chemical engineering and such they do to our food that our supply would diminish or our food wouldnt be safe or whatever...I just dont buy it! Sure, we would have to do without certain unnatural varieties of things so I guess in that sense the supply would diminish, but id rather eat my fruits and veggies the way God intended for them to grow ya know....I can deal with seeds in my foods, im OK with that LOL
    I think humankind has just gotten so lazy, they dont want to grow foods the way folks used to have to do it, they want things to grow bigger and faster and prettier...its a shame really.
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The world's food supply will be abolished because of it. You said it yourself...seedless grapes & seedless oranges without seeds the trees don't reproduce, why don't they have seeds? Because consumers are picky AND so that the seed owners can control the food!!! ALSO because of roundup insects are adapting & becoming stronger. They use this stuff without finding out long term effects on the plants, the environment & our health.
  • Wants2bethin
    Options
    I try very hard to buy from local farmers when ever possable. If people keep buying from the big guys nothing will change .
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    TFS...ARG! I am getting more and more frustrated that I cannot have my own garden where I live...We're looking into joining a veggie co-op but it's not the same. Oh, how I want to move to a warmer climate so I can pick fruit off the trees in my yard... Some day...
  • coppertop07
    coppertop07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Actually, only 1% of the world's population is involved in production agriculture, meaning only 1% of the world's population is responsible for growing the world's food and fiber. As urbanization increases, so does the need for these producers to find more efficient ways of producing food. Sure, Monsanto and others like them may have grown into monsters, but without them, that 1% wouldn't be able to feed the world. Also, more farmers would go organic, but it's almost impossible for many of them. My dad is a farmer, and I've talked to him about going organic, but the truth is, for family farmers like my dad, there's just no way. First, there is the transition period where you have to go so many years before you can be actually considered organic, then all of your neighbors also have to be considered organic before you can be organic. Even if someone uses a chemical of any kind on their backyard within a certain distance of your farm, you can't be organic. There's also a ridiculous number of other rules and regulations that the little guys like my dad just don't have the resources to tackle. Also, roundup is an herbicide, not an insecticide, and it's been around for quite a while. At farmer's markets, be careful what you buy. Ask the producer for his/her documentation of their organic certification. You might be surprised. As the world's population increases, the land available for food production decreases. How do you think farmers can keep up? It makes me sick everytime I see farm land with a for sale sign that has been zoned for commercial use, or the building of some new high-end housing development. People call this progress, but it in the big scheme of things, it's really a big step back for those of us who want a healthier planet and lifestyle. I would love to see an increase in family farms who are organic, but as someone who grew up in the production agriculture industry, I know that it's just not that easy, and frankly, won't happen as long as humans continue to increase our population and our "progress" unchecked.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Dole is an organic company anyway. We should not be surprised. I know I'm nkt.

i was typing on my phone............

That was supposed to say

Dole isn't an organic company anyway..............I mean, Dole makes canned fruits. YUCK!!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    It really is discouraging to hear about all this stuff and all the chemicals that are being added to food. I can do my very best to make good choices, but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Call me a quitter, but I just can't afford to eat what is labeled certified organic. I have a husband and three growing boys at home. It just seems like a battle that can not be won. That's why whenever I sit down to eat I pray and ask God to protect me from whatever could harm my body.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    It really is discouraging to hear about all this stuff and all the chemicals that are being added to food. I can do my very best to make good choices, but it just doesn't seem to be enough. Call me a quitter, but I just can't afford to eat what is labeled certified organic. I have a husband and three growing boys at home. It just seems like a battle that can not be won. That's why whenever I sit down to eat I pray and ask God to protect me from whatever could harm my body.

There are lots of ways to eat organic, locally grown and sustainable foods and save money at the same time................

Find a CSA, they are fantastic and they deliver to your house!!

I go to a local meat market that only buys his meats from local farmers with in a 35 mile radius of downtown St Louis. That makes for some rural Missouri and Illinois farmers that grass graze their cattle, chickens are left to peck and scratch for bugs and what every else they find and pigs are fed the way nature intended...............

They are kept humanely, die in a humane way and are treated with dignity.................

I buy 30 pounds of meat every 2 weeks and spend less than $70.00. That is for grass fed hamburger, steaks, roasts, free range whole chicken, leg quarters, wings...........pork steaks, pork roast, fresh slab bacon.

I get eggs, dairy, fruits, veggies, raw nuts and spices from Soulard Farmers Market. i spend less than $20.00 per week on these items............

I rarely ever step foot in a "regular" grocery store any more. And I save more money this way.
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link to the article...

Looks like I will be avoiding Dole from now! Its sad to see how $ controls everything and thats all that people care about--forget about our health and regualr foods! It time to stop being lazy--I'm lucky to be able to have a garden where I grow my own vegetables, may have to look into expanding and add a couple of fruit trees, aldready planning on getting fruit bushesfor next year! Also definitly looking into local farms for meats, and I love my farmers market!
  • byHISstrength
    Options

There are lots of ways to eat organic, locally grown and sustainable foods and save money at the same time................

I go to a local meat market that only buys his meats from local farmers with in a 35 mile radius of downtown St Louis. That makes for some rural Missouri and Illinois farmers that grass graze their cattle, chickens are left to peck and scratch for bugs and what every else they find and pigs are fed the way nature intended...............

They are kept humanely, die in a humane way and are treated with dignity.................

I buy 30 pounds of meat every 2 weeks and spend less than $70.00. That is for grass fed hamburger, steaks, roasts, free range whole chicken, leg quarters, wings...........pork steaks, pork roast, fresh slab bacon.

I get eggs, dairy, fruits, veggies, raw nuts and spices from Soulard Farmers Market. i spend less than $20.00 per week on these items............

I rarely ever step foot in a "regular" grocery store any more. And I save more money this way.

Spending $70/week for meat and $20/week eggs, dairy,...etc sounds good. Just out of curiousity, how many people are you feeding with that?
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Spending $70/week for meat and $20/week eggs, dairy,...etc sounds good. Just out of curiousity, how many people are you feeding with that?

It is my husband and I eating in the household and I always fix double so we have left overs for lunch the next day and sometimes for supper the following night.............

The meat lasts for 2 weeks, with left overs in the freezer to spare. I volunteer at a food bank on saturday mornings, so what we don't use I usually take with me and donate, so we always have fresh meat every time I get paid.

I usually spend about $20.00 per week on eggs, dairy and fruits, veggies, nuts, etc..........

So, in a months time, I usually spend about $250.00 total on food for us.

When I shopped in the grocery store, I was spending over $400.00 per month.
  • byHISstrength
    Options

It is my husband and I eating in the household and I always fix double so we have left overs for lunch the next day and sometimes for supper the following night.............

The meat lasts for 2 weeks, with left overs in the freezer to spare. I volunteer at a food bank on saturday mornings, so what we don't use I usually take with me and donate, so we always have fresh meat every time I get paid.

I usually spend about $20.00 per week on eggs, dairy and fruits, veggies, nuts, etc..........

Thank you. I will definitley look for a CSA in my area. I wish I could spend $250/month on food...including myself, there are five people in my house--my husband, and three active boys (18, 16, and 13) and right now football is in full swing. Practice 3 - 4 hours/day 6 days/week. I love being a football mom. : )
  • July24Lioness
    Options

Thank you. I will definitley look for a CSA in my area. I wish I could spend $250/month on food...including myself, there are five people in my house--my husband, and three active boys (18, 16, and 13) and right now football is in full swing. Practice 3 - 4 hours/day 6 days/week. I love being a football mom. : )

We just started the homestudy process to become Foster parents with the hopes of becoming adopted parents. Hopefully I will one day be a football or chearleader mom myself!!!