How to stay on track with bad news?

Options
It's so hard these past almost 2 weeks I haven't tracked any food worked out or anything! I have received some devastating news that my aunt that I'm very close with has brain and lung cancer and has maybe only 7 weeks to live. I have been so devastated by this news it has thrown me completely off track if my diet and excersises. Do y'all have any advice on how to stay on track even while going through hardship because it makes it just that much harder!

Replies

• MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Family comes first. Focus on what is most important and just try your hardest in what are difficult circumstances. ((hugs))
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your aunt.

How is it throwing you off track? Are you eating for emotional comfort? Or because you have a lot of famlily getting together? Or have to travel to visit?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best things you can do for stress. My dad just passed away unexpectedly this past Wednesday night...it's been a very tough week for me and haven't been treating myself 100% right and know I'm not eating enough (no appetite)...but getting into the gym and pumping some iron and getting out on my bike has really helped with the stress.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Sorry to hear about that. My mom died when I was 21, started as breast cancer but it was the brain cancer that did her in at the end. It's never going to be easy to deal with this and I hate to say it but it's only going to get worse. Brain cancer causes people to act very weird and it's extremely upsetting to see someone you love go through that.
    I would suggest focusing on your family but if you are hell bent on doing some exercises too it might help your mood if you just push through the saddness and get a work out in. As far as not tracking food, that's not really a priority right now. Try to just do your best and make some smarter choices.
    I wish you & your family the best.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    A very close family friend of ours was taken by brain cancer two years ago at 44. I can definitely empathize with you as far as getting the blues about it--it's very hard to watch someone you care about go through something like that. But as bf43005 said, you should be prepared for anything. Cancer, in the brain especially, does strange things to people, and that is very hard on their loved ones who are trying to make them comfortable.
    I suggest looking deeper and finding out what the root cause of your overeating is. Are you supplementing your negative emotions with food? Are you eating because you don't have a "full" sensation due to physical numbness from your state of mind? If you're able, I would say to very carefully plan out all meals and have them as ready as possible ahead of time to deter any wandering. If not, I would strongly suggest finding a grief counselor to help you through this tough time.
    Mostly, though, do what's right for you. If focusing on your aunt instead of your weight loss right now is the right thing to do, then you should do that. Enjoy the time you have with her. I very sincerely wish you luck!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Some people find that their eating is the only thing they CAN control at a difficult time.
    But if you're not one of those people then I'd concentrate on family, too. Good luck; I'm sorry you're having a rough time.
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Exercise is one of the best things you can do for stress. My dad just passed away unexpectedly this past Wednesday night...it's been a very tough week for me and haven't been treating myself 100% right and know I'm not eating enough (no appetite)...but getting into the gym and pumping some iron and getting out on my bike has really helped with the stress.

Totally agree here OP! You do what you can for your family , but part of that still means taking care of yourself!

Go for a hike or run or lift! What ever makes you feel good! It will help and may inspire others around you to do the same!

Take care, love and prayers sent out to you and your family.

Chelle
  • Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I suffered 3 deaths in my family this year, including my father.

I self medicated with food and booze.

I definitely regret that now.

Save yourself the regret and the self flagellation that will come later. Find positive outlets for your pain. Whatever it may be that you enjoy, do that instead of reaching for food. Exercise is probably the furthest thing from your mind but trust me, it will help you to feel better much more than any food item.

I speak from experience.

Good luck.
  • laineybrainy
    Options
    My mother was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over the summer and, even though I did eat right (mostly because that felt like the only thing I COULD control at that time), I stayed where I was for almost a month weight-wise.

Stress (good or bad) can sometimes cause your body to react by maintaining everything in a sort of fight or flight mode depending on your levels of anxiety. You just need to focus on what you can and not take any lack of movement weight-wise get to you. You've got enough stress going on as it is.
  • katimama
    katimama Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    What helps me to stay sane and keep my anxiety levels down during times of trial and tribulation is exercise. Even when i don't feel like it or think it would actually cause me more stress - because whose got time?? I push myself to get to the gym and hit the treadmill or take a spin class, pilates, yoga, crossfit class ... whatever I can fit in my schedule. When I get busy, I get better. There are a lot of things in life we have no control over, but I can control what I do and how I handle situations ... so for me, I get to the gym and work out. It helps me feel better, think more clearly and gives me more energy to tackle the issues around me or to help others who may need extra support.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    As everyone else has said, exercise is the key.

If you think some time out will help you, then take it, family comes first. But don't use it as a reason to go all out and binge. Still make the healthy choices, but lay off counting for a while, if it''s what you need to do. I'm sure your Aunt wouldn't want you to fall off the wagon because of what's happened. Use that to spur you on.