Is there some magic way to lower body fat??

Options

Replies

• AverageUkDude
    AverageUkDude Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

Its called 'Eating Less Fat'.
    More like eating less wheat or sweets. Fat doesn't get stored as fat.

Two completely incorrect posts in a row. How embarrassing. The Magical Misinformation Bunny must have hopped through and left advice-pellets.

Comical isnt it.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

Close, but no cigar.

Just eat less then maintenance and you'll lose fat.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Eating less = weight loss.

Strength training and generous protein = maintaining muscle during fat loss.

That's the only formula I know. It really is a waiting game, if you're still eating in a deficit.

Simple enough to understand without getting into the complicated reasons why. :)
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

Two completely incorrect posts in a row. How embarrassing. The Magical Misinformation Bunny must have hopped through and left advice-pellets.

Comical isnt it.

I almost choked reading it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

wheat, you say?
    hmmm-alright.gif
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think the problem for many of us is figuring out what the deficit needs to be.

I think the bigger problem(s) are:

1 - lack of patience...everyone want all of the weight gone right this minute...never mind the fact that it took years and even decades to put on.

2 - inaccurate estimations of intake and output.

3 - Inconsistency with dietary adherence

4- A complete lack of understanding of essential and proper nutrition

5 - A complete lack of understanding and refusal to make any effort to understand how these various calculators work with their applicable methods.

For the most part, unless you have a medical condition or something else going on that makes you a statistical outlier, any of these calculators are going to give you a fair estimation of how many calories you should be eating to lose, maintain, or gain depending on what you put in for your goals. You may have to make some minor tweaks here and there, but ultimately, it is generally user error due to those things I mentioned above that are more the issue...if you're truly doing everything right then it is advisable to see a doctor because it is likely that something else is going on.

Really though, much of this comes down to patience pure and simple....especially once you get to a healthy BF% but you still want to trim some excess fat. Your body just isn't going to shed those little fat stores quickly and really, at that point it's largely about body re-comp/comp work which is detail work...and as with any detail work, it takes a looooonnnnnngggggg time. I know people who are nice and trim everywhere and look great...but they've been working on their last little bit of belly for YEARS (not days or weeks or months)....that's where people really go wrong....they have to understand that this is a life long endeavor, not something that just stops at some point.

I really needed to hear the patience part of this. Thank you.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I think the problem for many of us is figuring out what the deficit needs to be.

I think the bigger problem(s) are:

1 - lack of patience...everyone want all of the weight gone right this minute...never mind the fact that it took years and even decades to put on.

2 - inaccurate estimations of intake and output.

3 - Inconsistency with dietary adherence

4- A complete lack of understanding of essential and proper nutrition

5 - A complete lack of understanding and refusal to make any effort to understand how these various calculators work with their applicable methods.

For the most part, unless you have a medical condition or something else going on that makes you a statistical outlier, any of these calculators are going to give you a fair estimation of how many calories you should be eating to lose, maintain, or gain depending on what you put in for your goals. You may have to make some minor tweaks here and there, but ultimately, it is generally user error due to those things I mentioned above that are more the issue...if you're truly doing everything right then it is advisable to see a doctor because it is likely that something else is going on.

Really though, much of this comes down to patience pure and simple....especially once you get to a healthy BF% but you still want to trim some excess fat. Your body just isn't going to shed those little fat stores quickly and really, at that point it's largely about body re-comp/comp work which is detail work...and as with any detail work, it takes a looooonnnnnngggggg time. I know people who are nice and trim everywhere and look great...but they've been working on their last little bit of belly for YEARS (not days or weeks or months)....that's where people really go wrong....they have to understand that this is a life long endeavor, not something that just stops at some point.

^^^ What this guy said ^^^
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

wheat, you say?
    hmmm-alright.gif

I giggled
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

Comical isnt it.

Indeed it is.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

erm..no....my diet includes plenty of fat daily & I maintain my bf % at under 18%
  • Tmatthias63
    Options
    "Short" answer...

1. Eat as "clean" as possible
    1A. low fats, controlled carbs, suggested higher protein intake
    2. Weight training so that your body can burn any stored fat while you are not working out
    3. Cardio in the proper heat rate range <KEY TO EXELERATED BODY FAT % LOSS>
    3A. yes it says key but it is pointless without the other things so focus on them also.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    "Short" answer...

2. Weight training so that your body can burn any stored fat while you are not working out
    3A. yes it says key but it is pointless without the other things so focus on them also.
    NO
  • Tmatthias63
    Options
    why do you say no?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    "Short" answer...

1. Not necessary, neither is 1A. actually fat is essential and healthy to eat (for healthy digestive system, hair, nails, skin, etc)
    2. Yes, but the reason is to retain the muscle you already have while in a deficit, body will burn stored fat and muscle in a deficit, strength training helps the body take a higher % from fat, vs the lean muscle.
    3. No need, you can get the deficit by diet alone, but cardio allows you to eat more and achieve the same deficit.
  • AdrianWoodward
    AdrianWoodward Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nonsense, fat does not turn to fat, it's not the way it works.
  • Jess830409
    Jess830409 Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Now this I can understand - ty
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

erm..no....my diet includes plenty of fat daily & I maintain my bf % at under 18%

Oh for goodness sake. There obviously is no 'magic' way to reduce body fat, but eating less of it is a good place to start (I was being ironic.....?.....)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

Actually it's just "Eating Less." Fat is good for you.

Misleading and wrongly interpreted. The question was how to reduce body fat, not whether fat is unhealthy.

Eating fat does not automatically lead to fat storage in the body. Eating more calories than you burn off is what leads to fat storage, even if you eat no fat at all. Surplus calories are stored as fat, so it's the total amount of calories you eat that counts, not what percentage of them come from fat. If you burn off more than you eat, it could be all fat and you'll still lose fat (although there's a risk of losing muscle too if you're not getting enough protein). You need to eat less overall, as the person above said. Stay within your calorie goal and you can eat fat and still lose fat.

OP: eat less than you burn off, ensure you're getting a balanced diet including plenty of protein, and do exercise that works the muscles hard. What you need to aim for is to preserve your muscle mass and bone density, while burning off just fat. You do that with a small calorie deficit plus adequate protein and working your muscles hard (heavy lifting is usually what's recommended but bodyweight exercise programmes can also work for this). As your body fat percentage is within the healthy range (18-28% for women) you need to take the fat loss slowly, because you're more at risk of losing muscle mass along with the fat than someone who's carrying too much body fat (which isn't you, btw, you're at the high end of the healthy range). It may be slow but the important thing is that you're burning just fat and nothing else.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yeah. There is actually.

I_love_magic.gif
  • AdrianWoodward
    AdrianWoodward Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eric is spot on!!