south beach diet attempt

Options
I hit a snag with my weight loss and decided to try something new, so looked up the south beach diet and it seemed doable. However, 5 days in (last week) I got sick and ate soup all day with rice, etc., in it. I cheated a little bit everyday through the rest of Phase one. I'm technically supposed to start Phase two, but should I in light of my inability to stick to phase 1 really well? Despite the cheating I still dropped 7 pounds in two weeks. Help, ideas?

Replies

• MelissaAnn1983
    MelissaAnn1983 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If it was healthy and worked for you why not keep going? I don't know much about this diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    There is no magical formulation that would indicate any phase of any diet to be crucial for weight loss.........People buy into this type of hype all the time and when only a calorie deficit is needed and you can accomplish that in any phase you like.:happy:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    Most of your weightloss with the phase 1 is water weight anyway, and there's nothing really inherently wrong with the south beach diet overall.

The later phases are closer to just a "healthy and balanced" diet anyway.

Much like Atkins everybody gets hung up on the earlier phases of the diet and as a whole they lead to basically just eating better foods:

"Real" weightloss is gonna come slowly and IMO one should have realistic expectations (1 lb/week of weight with little of that being LBM is very good "real" weightloss).