Any Fellow Equestrians Out There?

Dancerten
Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
edited September 21 in Motivation and Support
Hi, I just joined yesterday and I'm really excited about this site. I thought it would be neat to have some friends that can relate to my daily activities - mainly horse based. I grew up riding western, but then when I bought my own horse (an of the track TB) I switched to english. I also have volunteered at a therapeutic riding center for the mentally and physically handicapped, and in college I majored in Equine Science & Management and dabbled in Draft and Driving.

I know a lot of non-horsey people don't think riding or driving involves any exercise, but we all know different! Sure, it's not like running a marathon, but those 30lb saddles don't hoist themselves onto the horses' backs. You have to be pretty fit to do calf roping am I right? And I know from experience that training 2,000lb draft horses requires a bit of muscle and endurance!

So I'd love to befriend some fellow horse enthusiasts!

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Awosome. Horse back riding is exercise. You dont know about it unless you have done it :-)
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Show jumper here! An average ride for me is about 500-1000 calories. But I'm in law school, so I can't afford it right now :sad:

Welcome :)
  • amandapratt
    amandapratt Posts: 177 Member
    I wish I could still afford lessons! I'm working at a therapeutic riding centre on the weekends - the average session is 350-500 calories for me.
  • I'm an ex barrel racer myself! Sold my last horse about 2 years ago. I had no time for him and was doing mostly trail riding! It is great exercise! I would burn tons of calories on an all day ride! We would go anywhere between 20 to 30 miles in a day! I gained a ton of weight after I sold my horse and now I am ready to lose it again!
This discussion has been closed.