How many calories to eat while lifting?

Options
I need help, I am going to start lifting mainly now and try to get away from so much cardio. So I need help figuring out how many calories I should be eating. My goal as of now is just to lose fat and maintain my current LBM.

I'm 5'7" and 158lbs.
Female.
My goal is to lose about 13lbs, but I don't want to lose my muscle so I am trying to stray away from the cardio.

Help is appreciated!

Thank you!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I eat the 1500 calories MFP has set for me as a deficit. Sometimes I go a little over because I know I did a workout even though I didn't add any calories to my diary.

ETA, I'm also 5'7", 141 pounds, and this has worked for me the last 3-4 weeks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Lifting probably burns less calories than the same time frame of cardio. The key to maintaining LBM in a deficit is lifting and getting sufficient protein....I suggest at least 1g for every lb of lean mass.....compound lifting is your best bet imo.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I am 5'8" and I eat anywhere from 1600-1900 :) just depends on my day lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lifting heavy and eating 1g of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • krazykate483
    krazykate483 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Should I stick to 1200? Or do I need to up it? I have heard that I need to be at a deficit in order to lose fat, but I don't know how much of a deficit. Obviously, like most I would love to lose it more quickly considering I am getting married and want to look good in my dress, but I also don't want to screw up my metabolism.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Should I stick to 1200? Or do I need to up it? I have heard that I need to be at a deficit in order to lose fat, but I don't know how much of a deficit. Obviously, like most I would love to lose it more quickly considering I am getting married and want to look good in my dress, but I also don't want to screw up my metabolism.
    Hard to say. Your existing body fat will determine your maximum deficit but ignores the psychological and physiological strain. Studies do show that obese people (untrained) that consume low calories and lift show no slowdown of their metabolic rate, these are short term of course. Personally I like to eat as much as I can which not only helps to maintain LBM but also easier to conform to a diet and less susceptible to binge or give up.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You're not going to screw up your metabolism eating 1200 for a few months.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

No way is 1200 enough. I just finished my first round of body beast and for the first 8 weeks ate at my TDEE (roughly 1900-2100 calories) and the last 4 weeks at a deficit of 1700, and I definitely lost and shaped up throughout all 12 weeks. Of course, I think the macros played a huge role also, but you need to fuel to lose still. The 1g protein/lb of lean body mass is a good guideline and I would suggest figuring out your TDEE from a few various sites, take an average and then you'll have to play around with that number. The closer you are to your goal, I believe the more your macros will make the difference in your losing bf%. There are some great threads and website on this if you search around. And of course, everyone's body is different, but in general, 1200 calories is just not enough food for any lifting workout. You will burn as much in a 24 hr period lifting as you do in a session of most cardio. MFP is an awesome site, but I do think the calculations are usually too generous with burns for cardio, and too stingy with food :angry: Good luck to you!!!
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Check out the group, Eat. Train, Progress...there's a LOT of great information in there geared toward what you're asking!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    with little to lose you should have your goals set to lose about 1/2 Lb per week...no more than that. You don't have the fat stores to sustain a 1200 calorie diet and that low of calorie intake is likely to burn muscle regardless of whether you're lifting and taking in adequate protein or not.

The less you have to lose the slower you have to go. Just get in their and lift and focus on re-comp work with a small deficit...it's going to take awhile, but it happens. Remember, this is "detail" work at this point...as with any detail work, it takes time...lots of time.
  • Taterpoof
    Taterpoof Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Keep lifting while you are at a deficit to help maintain your muscle. As for how many calories you should eat, I don't think 1200 is enough. I'm 5' 2'' 129lbs. and I eat 1600 to lose weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Set your account to 1/2 lb per week and lightly active. Then you don' t have to worry about exercise calories. But i would agree that 1200 calories isn't enough unless you have a metabolic issue.