Continuing to Take Back My Life

Options
Hi everyone,
Just started up with myfitnesspal to regain some accountability after I felt like I was starting to lose everything I have worked so hard to achieve.

I'm 52 and was quite active in my younger years, but my life was mostly a train wreck through my 40's leaving me at over 300 pounds. In 2011 I decided I needed to change so I got busy walking and eating better. I lost about 50 pounds but then in late 2012 had to pay the piper for my years of obesity when my health went to hell with kidney issues. I had thought I escaped unscathed since my heart was still in great shape, but I was not so fortunate. Five surgeries and recovery took me out for most of 2012 and that 50 pounds I lost were found by me once more.

In October 2012, I realized I was either going to sit on my couch stuffing my face until I died or I was going to get up and live my life! I found a doctor who would work with me and she had me switch to a diet with a lot of vegetables and more protein, no grains or dairy for now, and limited fruit. It was very structured and I weighed in with her regularly. She monitored my progess and after 35 pounds were gone I began to believe I really could do this.

In December 2012, I ordered Insanity and began the first of 4 rounds. I had to modify a lot, but I was surprised with how much I could do. I also started using Walk at Home and logged in a lot of miles. i enjoyed interacting with other walkers on that social board and we helped each other stay on track.

After 3 rounds of Insanity and many miles walked I was down over 133 pounds. I got hooked on cycling this past summer and rode almost 1200 miles between the end of June and end of September. One of my rides was 52 miles to match my age. I loved being on that bike, doing sprints, hills, turning my legs into rubber or just spinning along at an easier pace on the many miles of bike trails near where I live. It was so great to be out there with other people instead of sitting on my couch, depressed and alone.

In October I stopped riding; I like hot weather riding, not so crazy about the cold. (I think next year I will ride until it snows though because I've been mourning the loss of those long rides every week.) I started up a 4th round of Insanity and finished up the first month. I couldn't get myself to push through another 2nd month though so was kind of at loose ends about what I would do next.

A death in the family occurred the end of October and things started to slide a bit then. I wasn't at home, I was talking care of things I wouldn't normally have to take care of and I was very tired. I still got in quite a bit of exercise, it is my habit to have 1 day each week where I work out for 4-5 hours to keep up my stamina for long bike rides and because I actually really enjoy working out. (I seem to need that rush I feel when I've pushed myself to the limit with things like 3 Insanity workouts back to back!) I found though that it was getting harder and harder for me to stay motivated. My poor food choices were sapping my energy and making it harder for me to push through my workouts.

Last week I decided, enough! I will not go back! I know what I need to do and I know how great I feel when I'm on track. Last week I signed up for myfitnesspal and here I am! As soon as I started tracking my calories and exercise I began eating better which then enabled me to get in the exercise I wanted and needed. Doing so enabled me to meet one of my goals for the end of the year which was to walk 52 miles in one week to again match my age. My last goal for this year is to get in a 26 mile walk which I plan to do next week when I'm off work for Christmas, which is not my holiday. Shooting to walk 26 miles will give me something to do!

My goals for next year are to ride a century (100 miles) and do a biking and camping tour with family members. I want to be able to do 100 full push-ups , right now I'm still working on getting that full motion rather than half. I want to keep working on increasing my planking time. I've done 5 minutes twice but haven't been tough enough mentally lately to reach that mark again. I imagine I will add quite a few other things to this list before next year is through, but this is what I have going in. Oh, I know one more thing, I want to be able to do airplanes on my balance disc!

So, this is it for me. I work out with my bike, Insanity, Walk at Home, 10 Minute Trainer, numerous FitDecks, Bob Harper, and do some jogging and stairs. I just love working out and can't believe I just sat for so long. What was wrong with me? Anyway, I'm happy and having fun.

Replies

• dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your getting on the right track, there are also programs like TOPS, weight watchers, that help with accountability Good Luck and keep motivated!:smile:
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Very well done you.