alcohol and weight loss. grr.

Options
13»

Replies

• Pandora_King
    Options
    I LOVE wine. But it is so high in sugar and calories. So I checked out Champagne. LOW sugar (unbelievably) and the whole bottle is something like 450 calories. It's not my choice drink of course but for the calories, I'll take it. Hell, I'll take two.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is fine if it fits your plan. I drink regularly. I did change my habits to make losing easier, and I will have to watch myself very carefully when I switch to maintenance mode. But I enjoy drinking socially; I enjoy a drink in the evening before bed; and I enjoy the occasional bender. I just have to be vigilant about managing my calories, or recognizing that I am going to pay a price for drinking too many calories.

Alcohol hinders cell growth, muscle recovery, and fatigue recovery. Protein cannot be metabolized correctly when you drink. Alcohol lowers testosterone levels. It lowers cognitive awareness due to a disrupted sleep pattern. It is pretty much impossible for your body to recover from legitimate workouts if you are drinking after them. Go ahead and try. Do a big workout, get drunk, and then see how you feel the next day. Sure, you might have stayed in your calorie limit, but your body is hurting after a night of drinking.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson11.htm

Luckily, sir, I am blessed with relatively few negative effects from drinking, though I admit I tend not to go hard in the gym and then hit the sauce right after -- it is awkward and tough to look cool with a bottle of tequila in the men's locker room or the gym breakroom. My body is not hurting all that bad after a night of drinking; it is however dehydrated if I have not consumed enough water. I am doing fine as I am. Am I doing as well as I might be if I cut out drinking entirely? No, probably not. But drinking has not prevented me from working out or meeting my goals - it is certainly not "impossible" for one's body to "recover from legitimate workouts" if one is drinking after them.
    If your goal is to just lose weight, go ahead and drink. But if your goal is to be stronger/faster/healthier than everyone else, you need to limit the drinking to rare occasions when you aren't training.

Well, given this thread is titled "alcohol and weight gain. grr." and the OP was questioning whether or not her weight loss efforts required abstinence, I choose to respond to that concern. If you'd like to start a thread titled "can I become stronger / faster / healthier than everyone else and still get my sauce on?" I will gladly acknowledge that absent any sort of genetic freakiness (read: awesomeness), the answer is "no."

Your body actually is hurting on a molecular level after a night of drinking. Go ahead and don't believe me, it is your body. My only recommendation for people is to limit alcohol intake only to special occasions and when they are taking a break from workouts.

OP. No, alcohol is not going to hurt your weight loss if you are staying within your calorie goal. If you want to take full advantage of your young and incredibly potential 22 year old body, then minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    guess im lucky that im not much of a drinker. maybe its saved me a few pounds
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    Smoke pot. Zero calories. Unless you get the munchies. :smokin:

haha...

But seriously, I cut way back on my drinking, it was the only way. Now when I drink (maybe once every two weeks or so), I go ahead an enjoy 3, 4 glasses of wine and don't worry about the calories because it's a rare thing now. Another plus...now that I drink less often, my tolerance is lower, so I drink less than before. Seriously, just cut down. It's the only way.

Pot destroys people's drive to be the best they can be. I've seen it first hand over and over again, many people who start smoking pot just start to half-*kitten* everything in life.

I said "haha."That means I was joking. buzzkill much?

Sorry, I just cut some dead weight friends out of my life because they kept on telling me to relax and smoke some weed and that it is "completely harmless dude." It is a complete motivation killer.

dbs58n.jpg
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

haha...

But seriously, I cut way back on my drinking, it was the only way. Now when I drink (maybe once every two weeks or so), I go ahead an enjoy 3, 4 glasses of wine and don't worry about the calories because it's a rare thing now. Another plus...now that I drink less often, my tolerance is lower, so I drink less than before. Seriously, just cut down. It's the only way.

Pot destroys people's drive to be the best they can be. I've seen it first hand over and over again, many people who start smoking pot just start to half-*kitten* everything in life.

Sorry, I just cut some dead weight friends out of my life because they kept on telling me to relax and smoke some weed and that it is "completely harmless dude." It is a complete motivation killer.

dbs58n.jpg

I am talking mostly on an intellectual level. Pot doesn't change a persons physical capacity when their only goal in life is to be one of the greatest athletes ever. When it is a college student who doesn't know what they are going to be doing yet, pot DOES kill motivation and drive and I have seen it.

This is an irrelevant conversation. I am pro-legalizing pot and think that anyone that wants to can go ahead an do it...but I never would suggest that people do it because I have seen how it changes people.
  • Pandora_King
    Options

haha...

dbs58n.jpg

I am talking mostly on an intellectual level. Pot doesn't change a persons physical capacity when their only goal in life is to be one of the greatest athletes ever. When it is a college student who doesn't know what they are going to be doing yet, pot DOES kill motivation and drive and I have seen it.

Like anything it depends on the person. If they are susceptible to addiction and laziness, they will let anything come in the way of their goals, not just pot.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Your body actually is hurting on a molecular level after a night of drinking. Go ahead and don't believe me, it is your body. My only recommendation for people is to limit alcohol intake only to special occasions and when they are taking a break from workouts.

It is not that I don't believe you. It is that you have to weigh "hurting on a molecular level" against the benefits of having a few drinks -- and I believe there are benefits: social, mental; cultural; and even depending on what and how much you're drinking, "health" benefits. You came off as a zealot in a relatively harmless thread from someone asking if her occasional nights out having a few drinks with friends would prevent her from losing weight. You edited your response from "Stop drinking" to "Drink less often" -- but your response was initially over-the-top "omagerd, drinking your few glasses of wine is wrong and will prevent you from becoming the next superhuman." Just asking you to keep it in perspective.
    OP. No, alcohol is not going to hurt your weight loss if you are staying within your calorie goal. If you want to take full advantage of your young and incredibly potential 22 year old body, then minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person.

And sorry, genuinely not trying to be an *kitten*, but what the hell does "minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person" even mean?
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

haha...

dbs58n.jpg

Like anything it depends on the person. If they are susceptible to addiction and laziness, they will let anything come in the way of their goals, not just pot.

Exactly, that is why I am against suggesting anyone smokes pot. I thought the lady earlier was being serious, that's all. I am just sensitive to it because I know what laziness can do to people...because I was lazy from the ages of 12-21 and it breaks me down when I think back on those years of potential I wasted away. I am now serious about being the most successful and greatest person I can be. I will drink with my friends once every 5 or 6 months, other than that they can **** off if they press me.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options

haha...

There are many many many sucessful motivated people in this world who smoke pot. And like it or not, it really is one of if not THE least harmful recrational drug
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

haha...

Completely agree with you. I know so many 'wasters'; people who once had ambitions and now don't give a **** about what they do in life - started out with smoking weed, and I think it's just a lifestyle thing with a lot of (definitely not all) young people who regularly smoke weed. It's just grim.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

It is not that I don't believe you. It is that you have to weigh "hurting on a molecular level" against the benefits of having a few drinks -- and I believe there are benefits: social, mental; cultural; and even depending on what and how much you're drinking, "health" benefits. You came off as a zealot in a relatively harmless thread from someone asking if her occasional nights out having a few drinks with friends would prevent her from losing weight. You edited your response from "Stop drinking" to "Drink less often" -- but your response was initially over-the-top "omagerd, drinking your few glasses of wine is wrong and will prevent you from becoming the next superhuman." Just asking you to keep it in perspective.

And sorry, genuinely not trying to be an *kitten*, but what the hell does "minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person" even mean?

It was stop drinking because I was thinking of her caloric intake, then I thought of her health, then I figured that I don't know her so "drink less" makes more sense with my original quick skim of the topic.

That quote, "minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person" means exactly that. She is 22 now, about to graduate college. If she isn't seeing the changes she wants to see in her growth as a person who recently chose to be healthy, she needs to make the decision to cut the fun time a little. It isn't complicated or snide. It is the truth. We all were fat and out of shape, or else we wouldn't be on this forum. We all want to be healthy. She is 22 and has all the potential in the world, why not take advantage of it? She needs to be open with her friends that she wants to lose weight and that they need to stop pressing her to go out drinking. She needs to put her priorities first. Alcohol is not good for muscular growth or recovery. It just isn't. Stop baiting me like I am someone with an extremist ideology when I only want people to maximize their potential.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options

haha...

There are many many many sucessful motivated people in this world who smoke pot. And like it or not, it really is one of if not THE least harmful recrational drug

Man, lets move on from this pot discussion. I am one of the most socially liberal people in the world and am pro-legalizing pot. I just don't want anyone to suggest it to another person because I have seen it ruin lives and it is never fair to suggest someone do something. Go ahead and smoke a bowl, relax, and be happy. I just don't want it and don't like seeing my friends get thrown out of school because they liked giggling more than succeeding.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yup. Alcohol is *extremely* helpful, and it's *unthinkable* to give it up.
    Fixed. :drinker:

Helpful?

I'd rather heal my brain cells instead of kill them. :smokin:

Well you certainly aren't helping them with smoking.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0197018613002106

Who said anything about pot?? You posted a smoking smiley gif. Good grief.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    That quote, "minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person" means exactly that. She is 22 now, about to graduate college. If she isn't seeing the changes she wants to see in her growth as a person who recently chose to be healthy, she needs to make the decision to cut the fun time a little.

Ok - I do not think I am baiting you, and this will be the last post that might come across as baiting but I really think I am challenging the basis from which you are commenting -- I am making a wild and ridiculous exaggeration to point out what I am getting at: who says she wants to see any growth as a person (she actually wants to lose weight) and who says she recently choose to be healthy (she wants to lose weight). She may want to lose weight so she can bang a bunch of hot guys and girls that she doesn't think she can seduce right now. She may want to lose weight to fit into a particular dress or for a special event. She may want to lose weight because she thinks that will be a good move for her health. You read her post and jumped to "I want to be healthy, and the greatest 22 year old I can be" -- and more power to her if that's what she wants. But she doesn't necessarily want to healthy or to "maximize her potential" (which you are defining for her), or even saying that her friends are pressing her to go out drinking (maybe she likes this social activity?). She just wanted to know whether wine, in and of itself, is preventing her from losing pounds even as inches seem to be receding. You have turned it into something philosophical at this point.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

It was stop drinking because I was thinking of her caloric intake, then I thought of her health, then I figured that I don't know her so "drink less" makes more sense with my original quick skim of the topic.

That quote, "minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person" means exactly that. She is 22 now, about to graduate college. If she isn't seeing the changes she wants to see in her growth as a person who recently chose to be healthy, she needs to make the decision to cut the fun time a little. It isn't complicated or snide. It is the truth. We all were fat and out of shape, or else we wouldn't be on this forum. We all want to be healthy. She is 22 and has all the potential in the world, why not take advantage of it? She needs to be open with her friends that she wants to lose weight and that they need to stop pressing her to go out drinking. She needs to put her priorities first. Alcohol is not good for muscular growth or recovery. It just isn't. Stop baiting me like I am someone with an extremist ideology when I only want people to maximize their potential.

While your intentions may be good, it might be a good idea not to transfer your issues to the OP.
  • uconnwinsnc
    Options
    That quote, "minimize drinking to increase your growth as a person" means exactly that. She is 22 now, about to graduate college. If she isn't seeing the changes she wants to see in her growth as a person who recently chose to be healthy, she needs to make the decision to cut the fun time a little.

Ok - I do not think I am baiting you, and this will be the last post that might come across as baiting but I really think I am challenging the basis from which you are commenting -- I am making a wild and ridiculous exaggeration to point out what I am getting at: who says she wants to see any growth as a person (she actually wants to lose weight) and who says she recently choose to be healthy (she wants to lose weight). She may want to lose weight so she can bang a bunch of hot guys and girls that she doesn't think she can seduce right now. She may want to lose weight to fit into a particular dress or for a special event. She may want to lose weight because she thinks that will be a good move for her health. You read her post and jumped to "I want to be healthy, and the greatest 22 year old I can be" -- and more power to her if that's what she wants. But she doesn't necessarily want to healthy or to "maximize her potential" (which you are defining for her), or even saying that her friends are pressing her to go out drinking (maybe she likes this social activity?). She just wanted to know whether wine, in and of itself, is preventing her from losing pounds even as inches seem to be receding. You have turned it into something philosophical at this point.

My final point to you:

I see the potential in people. I want them to see it in themselves. I wasted years of my teenaged life being a fat lazy kid because I put fun and food ahead of my health, and I regret every minute of it. I want everyone to be the best they can be so that they are happy. I am very close to reaching my goal and cutting alcohol out almost completely really made a difference in my athletic ability and my weight.

My final point to the OP:

If you want to lose weight, you need to watch your caloric intake. If you are drinking and finding that you are unable to lose weight, you probably can restrict the drinking and see results. If you want to continue drinking, you can restrict the calories from other sources. You will then lose the weight. Make sure you track your calories closely to maximize your weight loss and make sure you are still nurturing yourself.

If you want to maximize your potential, you might want to seriously consider limiting your drinking to a few times a month at most. Go hard for a few weeks eating healthy and exercising. Then, take a few days off to have some drinks with your friends while still counting your calories. You will probably go over your limit for those days, but relax and enjoy it during your break. Then, go back to being 100% dedicated to your workouts again. You are still so young that you really can be amazed at what you can physically do.
  • ohheytoned
    ohheytoned Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is what works for me: on days that I know I will be drinking (a little or lot...doesn't matter), I make sure I throw a really good workout in there and eat around the added calories of my wine/mixed drink. I stick with white wine or diet something+non flavoured vodka. I cap myself at 3 drinks because after that, I'm approaching my caloric allowance.

It's all about self discipline.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    OP.......... I for one do not see a problem with having a few drinks. I would not sacrifice actual caloric food to allow myself to drink to the point of getting a buzz as you put it... but I have no problem saving a few calories for a couple beers in the evening... I drink Mich Ultra (96 calories a beer) and usually fit in a couple in the evenings... I have managed to lose a few pounds doing this and I can tell you from experience that it has not hindered my performance in the gym, in the least.... I had 2 beer Sunday evening and went in to the gym Monday morning at 7 and pulled 515 lbs. Barbell Shrugs for reps (another PR). So even though I think you need to set limits, I do not see where it is an all or nothing proposition.... Best of Luck