Am I starving myself?

Options

Replies

• jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    starvation mode and all that is only really an issue when you are slightly overweight, or a healthy weight.
    As you are nearly 300lbs, i think you will be fine to create a large deficit as long as you get all your vitamins and feel good within yourself

starvation mode can happen to any one at any weight. If you arent eating your maintaince calories and dont eat for long periods of time your body goes into starvation mode
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    starvation mode and all that is only really an issue when you are slightly overweight, or a healthy weight.
    As you are nearly 300lbs, i think you will be fine to create a large deficit as long as you get all your vitamins and feel good within yourself

In this context, there is a difference between starvation mode and starving.

Overweight people or normal weight people do not go into starvation mode. If you search Google for the Minnesota Starvation Experiment you can read up on this.

Starving yourself is different in that it means we are not eating enough calories in general, especially when we are exercising. :smile:
  • yolandarivera84
    Options
    ON BUTTER VS FAKE BUTTER
    doctors (some of who are my sister and father) say that real butter in healthy amounts is better then the fake
    i like land o lakes butter
    . next you are clearly in starvation mode. eating more healthy foods (which you are clearly eatting) is okay. brreakfat is hard by why not start with the egg and the shake. some nuts cotage cheese fruit

lunch increase your portions a bit

dinner
    you are craving chicken because u are hungry. can decrease ur calories as u loose weight if you are looking more for maintaining. your metabolism likes constant work. add some green tea, add two health snacks to your day.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

starvation mode can happen to any one at any weight. If you arent eating your maintaince calories and dont eat for long periods of time your body goes into starvation mode

I don't think this is accurate. That would mean eating at a deficit sends your body into starvation mode.
  • jennegan1
    Options
    Im only going off of what I read from this article. Maybe I am wrong http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • jennegan1
    Options

In this context, there is a difference between starvation mode and starving.

Overweight people or normal weight people do not go into starvation mode. If you search Google for the Minnesota Starvation Experiment you can read up on this.

Starving yourself is different in that it means we are not eating enough calories in general, especially when we are exercising. :smile:

I see this explanation now :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Strange question. I'm assuming you've entered your height, weight, desired weight loss etc into this site which will have given you a calorie goal. Are you meeting that goal? If not then yes you're under-eating and should be eating more!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to double check here. I am 287 pounds and I am trying to lose weight. I actually started out at 300 pounds. Over the last 3 weeks I've been eating consistently. Here is one typical day for me.

Breakfast:

Glucerna chocolate shake OR 1 hard boiled egg
    fruit (Today I had 1/2 cup blueberries)
    Frozen buttermilk waffles with 1/2 tablespoon of Country Crock butter with calcium

Lunch:

6 original sea salt triscuits
    2 oz of colby jack cheese
    red grapes
    1/2 cup cucumber with skin
    1/2 cup snap peas
    (I change up the fruit and vegetable weekly so I don't get bored.)

Dinner:
    I know this is odd, but for the last 2 weeks all I have been having is chicken with spinach. I crave it every night!
    6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
    1 to 2 cups of fresh spinach cooked in 1/2 tablespoon of evoo
    1/2 cup white onions
    1/2 cup mushrooms
    1 tablespoon minced garlic

Dinner Option # 2
    Just 6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
    With a green on the side.

This is a typical day for me. I usually end up eating about 1250 to 1300 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes to an hour. I also do weight lifting with light weights.

Are you netting or grossing 1250-1300 calories?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Can I have a brand name so I know what to buy?

Any brand will do, pretty much all butter (not margarine - butter!) is the same.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    up your cals espiecally on workout days and more protein
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Yes you are. Eat more please. Use this to figure out how much. Choose 15% below TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

No!

He is a high-body-fat individual, the standard scooby calculator will considerably overestimate his numbers.
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    I just wanted to double check here. I am 287 pounds and I am trying to lose weight. I actually started out at 300 pounds. Over the last 3 weeks I've been eating consistently. Here is one typical day for me.

Breakfast:

Glucerna chocolate shake OR 1 hard boiled egg
    fruit (Today I had 1/2 cup blueberries)
    Frozen buttermilk waffles with 1/2 tablespoon of Country Crock butter with calcium

Lunch:

6 original sea salt triscuits
    2 oz of colby jack cheese
    red grapes
    1/2 cup cucumber with skin
    1/2 cup snap peas
    (I change up the fruit and vegetable weekly so I don't get bored.)

Dinner:
    I know this is odd, but for the last 2 weeks all I have been having is chicken with spinach. I crave it every night!
    6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
    1 to 2 cups of fresh spinach cooked in 1/2 tablespoon of evoo
    1/2 cup white onions
    1/2 cup mushrooms
    1 tablespoon minced garlic

Dinner Option # 2
    Just 6 to 8 oz of chicken, no fat, no skin cooked in 1 tablespoon Country Crock butter with calcium
    With a green on the side.

This is a typical day for me. I usually end up eating about 1250 to 1300 calories a day. I exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes to an hour. I also do weight lifting with light weights.

Are you netting or grossing 1250-1300 calories?

I am netting 1250 -1300, actually it might be grossing because then I work out and burn more.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I just want to let you know that I'm 290 pounds, started off at 343, and I've been losing by eating roughly 2000 calories a day (started off at 2200, currently at 1920), PLUS eating my exercise calories back. You'll lose weight eating 1200-1300 calories a day, but you really don't need to. At the beginning I was losing 3 pounds a week, now I'm down to about 2 pounds a week with an MFP goal of 1.5. Why rush the process, especially when you've got a lot to lose? It'll just lead to misery, yo-yo dieting, and excess skin.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Unless by "starvation mode" you mean "BMR drops a little", that is completely wrong.
  • JessicaLSpindler
    Options
    I just want to let you know that I'm 290 pounds, started off at 343, and I've been losing by eating roughly 2000 calories a day (started off at 2200, currently at 1920), PLUS eating my exercise calories back. You'll lose weight eating 1200-1300 calories a day, but you really don't need to. At the beginning I was losing 3 pounds a week, now I'm down to about 2 pounds a week with an MFP goal of 1.5. Why rush the process, especially when you've got a lot to lose? It'll just lead to misery, yo-yo dieting, and excess skin.

Well, I'm glad I asked and caught this before I did it for too long. I want to do this right so it stays off for life. I don't want excess skin!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    That does not look like enough food to me. Not at all.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Why not use real butter instead of that trans fat laded Country Crock butter like stuff??

That "butter like stuff" doesn't have trans fat in it. Look it up.

Yeah, most name brand margarine no longer contains transfat. Contrary to popular opinion, food manufacturers try to sell what people want to buy, and consumers have communicated that they would rather not have transfat in their margarine.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Yes you are. Eat more please. Use this to figure out how much. Choose 15% below TDEE.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

No!

He is a high-body-fat individual, the standard scooby calculator will considerably overestimate his numbers.

Maybe. When I first started, it grossly underestimated mine. (talk about starving) :ohwell:
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Your lunch sounds like a snack to me!!