Counting calories?

Options
Hi,

I find that counting calories does not work for me. I find it very hard to do.

Everyone loses weight differently. I find eating clean is the way i do it! A lot of protein and green veggies. Eating healthy is the way i do it..cut out carbs and sugars. Also cut out salts, Mrs Dash is a wonderful substitute to seasoning containing salt.

Anything that comes prepackaged(example chips, candy ext.) is a big NO NO in my life....

I was at 198, went down to 159 in 4 months. Slacked off a bit gained 10lbs now back down to 164 since eating clean again since last tuesday.

Hope i helped anyone that hates counting calories. :)

Replies

• PriscillaBramble
    PriscillaBramble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sent message
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    By changing your food choices, you did also cut calories. It doesn't have anything to do with "healthy" eating. I do also eat a lot of fruit, veggie, lean meat, and hardly any processed food. But I also had an iced sugar cookie today that a student brought me as well as three pretzel/chocolate/pecans. But since I log all my food, I knew how to work these into my calories.

But I have to wonder why you would join MFP, which is a calorie-counting website, and right away jump in with how it doesn't work for you.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    That was also pretty mind boggling to me. Why join a calorie counting site and decide to go against the site's entire program?

Anyway, it's completely fine to say you're only going to eat certain foods, and you're going to cut foods out of your diet if that's what you prefer, but don't go around saying it's "healthier", because the healthiness of a person's diet is based on dosage and context of the food that you eat. You could be eating food that you believe to be healthy, but if you look at the macronutrient breakdown of your diet, it could actually be very unhealthy. Many people who choose to "eat clean" don't get enough dietary fat in their diet to be in the healthy range.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    That strategy worked for me to lose the first 10 pounds, but then I went through a long plateau. Calorie counting is helping me break through that. I still focus on eating healthy foods in small portions, but I've come to a time when I really need to count my calories to get the last 10 pounds off, which I'm currently working through. If it works for you, I'm envious.
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    Hey that's great! I cut out all sugar for two weeks before I officially started at MFP. Weight Watchers never worked for me, but calorie counting totally does. I eat pretty clean for the most part but knowing the nutritional value of everything I consume keeps me on track and also motivates me to keep trucking on.