Workout partner

Options

Replies

• cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i for the most part workout alone, sometimes my bf will workout with me at home doing insanity. i would like to start a lifting program in Jan and I wish i had someone to do it with me!
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    I would love a workout partner. We could spot each other, high-five, enjoy our post-work out protein shake together and talk about techniques and accessory work we could try to help us achieve new PR's. It would be epic. And if it were my hubs, we could have hot, primal, endorphin-buzzed, post-workout...cardio.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I would say is have a workout partner about 25% of the time. My husband and I are good at keeping each other accountable for getting our exercise in, but often work out on our own. One of my friends asked me to help her start a running program, so twice a week she meets me after I do a short run by myself and we do C25K together.

I used to do a spinning class twice a week, but I moved and haven't gotten a new gym membership. I miss spinning, but my husband and I agreed to see if we can find an exercise routine we each like without spending the money on a gym.

I have also joined half marathon training programs in the past where I did my long runs with a group. The accountability was fantastic when I was new to half marathons, but I have realized that I really do prefer doing my long runs by myself.
  • FitBelleVie
    FitBelleVie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out with my wife, but usually I am alone.

I wish my husband would say that about me. LOL

But he refuses to work out at all. I'm always asking him to go with me.
  • FitBelleVie
    FitBelleVie Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like listening to music while I do cardio but doing 35 minutes of cardio, 7 days a week for over 5 months now, it does get a bit lonely. I always wish I had someone to lift weights with. It's much better with a partner.
  • AnnaYESiCANdoIT
    AnnaYESiCANdoIT Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    cardio-alone but weights would be alot better with a partner
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I mostly take classes at my gym so there are plenty of people around and I'm starting to know people. However, I also use YouTube videos to do Zumba in my building and I'm by myself. It's a good mix for me.
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I wish i had a work out partner!!
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I workout with my brother during the week. I do a circuit training workout with my wife (& sometimes daughter) on Saturday. But when I run, I prefer to be alone. Everyone wants to "encourage" me to run at their pace. Uh, no. My brother and I will ride bikes together during the summer at a moderate pace (12 miles in an hour) when we can get free.
  • 34blast
    34blast Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I do it all alone.

About 7 years ago I trained with a friend for about 2 years. He had never done any exercise, ever. Coaching him and doing running and weight lifting together was quite a fantastic experience. Once he started making positive improvements, his enthusiasm was contagious. I ended up making the best gains ever. Also it was a joy to go to the gym, too bad he moved. If you get a partner, its best to find someone who will stick with it and can workout at the same scheduled times as you. My friend was very flexible and ready to go when ever I went.

On the flip side, I have attempted several other work out partners. They usually poop out very soon. They want to look perfect, lift alot, but give up after a few weeks. This has a bit of the opposite effect.

So the benefits are great. Maybe you can find a partner a few times a week or once a week? I do have a friend or two that we run together once a month or so. Its fun. I just run what ever pace he runs. The time flies and provides a good change for me.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I used to workout alone but finally got my BF addicted to the gym. Now I have someone to spot me :laugh:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I run and lift alone quite often, and do not mind it. But, it is much more fun to do any activity with someone else. Sometimes I run with my wife. She has a whole big group of friends who run together almost every day and they talk, talk, talk the entire time. They also do races together, which keeps them motivated to keep getting better, though I really think their runs are more social than physically challenging. She doesn't really go alone anymore.
    My younger son goes to the gym and lifts and I often go with him, when he is home from college. I've gotten to know quite a few of the guys at the gym too, so that, even when I go alone, there is someone there to converse with in between sets.
    And, I play tennis. That is quite social when you play doubles with guys you know and like.
    I hope you find somebody to share activity with. I think it is kinda important. Not all the time. But much of the time.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    IMO workout partners suck. They distract you from progressing. They are only good for spotting and critiquing form and many suck at both of those. If you dont know proper form you cant tell me what I;m doing wrong. If you get too involved with spotting you suck.

Ive worked out with people before but all they did was hinder my dedication and complicate my schedule.

To each his own. I take my training pretty seriously and I dont always go at the same time so thats probably why I hate working out with others.

Conversely, I've developed friendships with people at the gym, so, when I need help, it's there.
  • Whyareyoumad
    Whyareyoumad Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out with my wife, but usually I am alone.

I wish my husband would say that about me. LOL

But he refuses to work out at all. I'm always asking him to go with me.

Keep encouraging him and maybe he will.
  • duckiebayb
    Options
    Personally prefer to work out alone, because I have a tendency to get easily side tracked and lose my focus. All I need are my earbuds with some music then I'm all set and ready to go.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I work out with my boyfriend and sometimes alone... It doesn't matter either way to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Mostly alone. I like to put my music on and just do my thing at my pace. But sometimes my fiance and I go together (though this is recent and he's been sick, so not so much the last couple weeks) and I have a few friends who I will exercise with on occassion when we can sync our schedules.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I tend to work out alone so I can listen to my music. On occasion I will meet up with a coworker and this coworker usually pushes me an extra 10-15mins longer on the ARC trainer than I normally would. I would rather work out with someone than do it alone.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I have had multiple people try to be my workout partner, but they always burn out within a few weeks or their schedules are off from mine, so I usually workout alone.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work alone 99% of the time - other people are rarely lifting similar weights to me, and talking just slows things down.