Hoping to Lose 60- 70lbs by Mid-July

Options
Does anyone have any ideas for losing this amount weight? I have been monitoring my calories and exercising 4-5 days a week but I'm not losing as much as I would like.In fact I have gained a little weight. Are there any suggestions or comments on what you did to lose the weight?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1122891-9-reasons-fat-loss-is-always-slower-than-you-d-like

http://body-improvements.com/2013/05/24/undiet-your-diet/

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Don't put a deadline on your weight loss.

Eat at a deficit

Learn moderation and portion control (don't deprive yourself)

Be patient

Log your food

Get some exercise (find something you like that you will do)

Measure accurately

and Be Patient! oh realistic helps too!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Start with the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and then move on to the 72 Day and so on. Meal and exercise plan provided.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I am going to need more information before I could suggest anything. Are you using your food/exercise diary? If you are, open it, at least to your friends so suggestions/encouragement/challenges can be made.

What exercising are you doing? Cardio? Weight lifting?

What type of calorie deficit are you running compared to how much you exercise?

So many questions? :wink:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Start with the Advocare 24 Day Challenge and then move on to the 72 Day and so on. Meal and exercise plan provided.

Don't follow this advice!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Agreed. Advocare/Beachbody salesman needs to quit pushing products :angry:
  • Sashasoslim
    Sashasoslim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I run a deficit of about 150-300 on some days.
    I do about 35 min on an ellliptical and 20-30 on a treadmill , then weight train upper body and lower body on alternating days.
  • BL_Mark
    BL_Mark Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Don't put a deadline on your weight loss.

Eat at a deficit

Learn moderation and portion control (don't deprive yourself)

Be patient

Log your food

Get some exercise (find something you like that you will do)

Measure accurately

and Be Patient! oh realistic helps too!

AWESOME advice.... and drink LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    If you make your diary public it would make it easier to help. Are you measuring everything, how are you figuring your calorie burns and intake.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I do about 35 min on an ellliptical and 20-30 on a treadmill , then weight train upper body and lower body on alternating days.

Do you weigh your food?

What is your calorie goal set to?

How tall are you and current stats?

Do you rely on MFP's #s for your burns? If not, how are you calculating your calories burned?

Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Do you log everything, everyday? (no quick add calories)
  • zbrand450
    Options
    Watching HOW MUCH I ate helped me, but what helped me a lot more was WHAT I was eating.

www.nerdfitness.com

This was a great website for me, it just made more sense the way that they explained things. I might be in the minority - and it kinda goes against what this website is all about - but I don't buy the "eat at a deficit" idea, I like the I eat until I'm full and that has worked really well because what worked for me was what, not how much I was eating.

www.smashthefat.com is a great example of that idea too.
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options

Agreed. Advocare/Beachbody salesman needs to quit pushing products :angry:

Not pushing, if it works.... :)
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Seconded! In fact, everything she said is perfect. Just keep at or under your calorie goal most days, eat back exercise calories and keep SLOWLY pushing your exercise goals over each month [go a bit further or faster].

Also seconding nerdfitness.com they have some great workout ideas if you don't have a gym.

Lastly, the best exercise if you have 50+ pounds to lose is WALKing. It's easy on your joints and will help your cardio a lot. Walk for an hour 4-5 days a week and you can get a ton more exercise, especially over different terrain [hills and trail hiking]. I suggest this because after you lose that 50+ pounds you'll have the same muscles and joints you had before, if not stronger, and they'll be able to handle jogging much easier so you'll have less chance of injury
  • Sashasoslim
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

Do you rely on MFP's #s for your burns? If not, how are you calculating your calories burned?

Im a bit new at this but a lot of these things I don't do. So I am very happy I posted this question.
    I don't weigh my food yet, but I don't think I can afford a scale at the moment
    I am 5'7 and weigh 275
    I have no idea what MFP's are
    I do eat back my excercise calories
    I don't always log everything
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Do you weigh your food?

Im a bit new at this but a lot of these things I don't do. So I am very happy I posted this question.
    I don't weigh my food yet, but I don't think I can afford a scale at the moment
    I am 5'7 and weigh 275
    I have no idea what MFP's are
    I do eat back my excercise calories
    I don't always log everything

Food scales are pretty cheap. $12-$25 depending on brand and you can find them at Walmart ,Target, Walgreens and Amazon.

If you don't use MFP's calorie burns to log your exercise, how are you figuring out your burns?

What is your calorie goal set at? Can you open your diary?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Food Scales are pretty inexpensive you can get a digital one for under $20. It will help a lot. But if you can't afford it at the moment definitely go on the side of caution with portions because we usually give ourselves way more than a portion.

When you exercise do you use MFP to say how much you burned? If you do you may want to only eat back about 1/2 of the calorie burn because MFP is a little too generous.

LOG EVERYTHING! and I repeat LOG EVERYTHING you eat drink etc. If you cook with oil LOG it. If you add milk to your coffee LOG it. Those little things will add up and eat away at your deficit.

For calorie counting to work you must be 100% honest with yourself, cause the only one its hurting if you are not is YOU.

Good luck
  • zbrand450
    Options
    If there is one piece of advice to start today, is the walking piece! I almost feel bad for not putting that in my post! I used to be someone that said, if your not sweating your not losing (a very "The Biggest Loser" type idea) and now I laugh at myself for spending 45mins on the stairmaster and being exhausted. Work smarter not harder! unless of course, that is something you enjoy - then, do as much as you have fun doing!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Watching HOW MUCH I ate helped me, but what helped me a lot more was WHAT I was eating.
    If you're really serious, both about weight loss AND health while losing all that weight in 6 months, I can highly recommend "Eat To Live" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. You can lose using his plan without exercise but he does advocate regular exercise in addition to healthy eating while losing weight quickly. Not only was this my perfect eating plan, but it is my perfect maintenance plan as well. Good luck!
  • Sashasoslim
    Options
    Food Scales are pretty inexpensive you can get a digital one for under $20. It will help a lot. But if you can't afford it at the moment definitely go on the side of caution with portions because we usually give ourselves way more than a portion.

When you exercise do you use MFP to say how much you burned? If you do you may want to only eat back about 1/2 of the calorie burn because MFP is a little too generous.

LOG EVERYTHING! and I repeat LOG EVERYTHING you eat drink etc. If you cook with oil LOG it. If you add milk to your coffee LOG it. Those little things will add up and eat away at your deficit.

For calorie counting to work you must be 100% honest with yourself, cause the only one its hurting if you are not is YOU.

Good luck

Just realized what MFP is , sorry too new for acronyms i guess. But I do use it too log.
    But I appreciate your help and everybody's input.
    Looks like I have a lot of things I can improve on if I want to lose more weight.
    I will walk more, watch what I eat and drink more water just for starters
  • zbrand450
    Options
    Excellent start! Good luck and keep us posted