Doing the right thing by kids re: sports and exercise

Options
Would be interested in hearing some different views on this. Not asking to be told what to do - I have what I think is a reasonable approach - just interested in some feedback.

About 4 weeks ago my 7 yo daughter asked to start the couch to 5k program. She said she eventually wanted to start running with me. We did the first session outside because we had a freakish nice day and she enjoyed it. But now, since it's so cold, we've been doing it on an indoor running track at the gym. It's a small track, 18 laps = 1 mile. Problem is, she's getting pretty bored with it. I think it's mostly because of running inside in a circle, to be honest.

This has left me with a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand I want to encourage her to see out the things she starts. On the other hand, I don't want to be that dad that is forcing their kids to do stuff they don't want to. Developing a bad relationship with exercise is probably even worse than letting her quit.

She has been asking about doing more exercise to 'get strong'. So I figured I could replace the current running sessions with a calisthenics program I'd do with her. Still keeping her fit, still maintaining some commitment and discipline, but not forcing her into something she's not enjoying. Then maybe we can recommence C25k in the spring when it warms up a little and we can run outside, if that still interests her.

Thoughts? Sound like a reasonable plan?

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Why don't you combine running and body weight movments to break the running up. Run to x point, do 10 squats, run to the next point pushups... etc. By the time it warms up enough to run outdoors she'll probably be fit enough to not need to do c25k. Don't drop the running completely but add in some variation to keep her interested.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    dude, if you expect her to go pro, you're YEARS behind...

Jk, sounds reasonable to me.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Context; I have no children of my own, but worked as a Swimming Instructor and Coach for ages 6 months through 16 years old.

I think growing bored of things at that age is perfectly fine, and I don't see an issue at all with her wanting to move on to something new. It's an opportunity for her to explore her options in a safe and supervised manner, and find what she really enjoys and can stick to.

If she wants go "get strong" at the moment, then I'd let her go ahead with that and honestly I wouldn't even mention running again until she brings it up again -- which I don't doubt she will.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Your plan sounds good to me!

gmallan's idea is good also.

I agree that for kids, keeping fit should be fun and the options are endless.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Would be interested in hearing some different views on this. Not asking to be told what to do - I have what I think is a reasonable approach - just interested in some feedback.

About 4 weeks ago my 7 yo daughter asked to start the couch to 5k program. She said she eventually wanted to start running with me. We did the first session outside because we had a freakish nice day and she enjoyed it. But now, since it's so cold, we've been doing it on an indoor running track at the gym. It's a small track, 18 laps = 1 mile. Problem is, she's getting pretty bored with it. I think it's mostly because of running inside in a circle, to be honest.

This has left me with a bit of a dilemma. On the one hand I want to encourage her to see out the things she starts. On the other hand, I don't want to be that dad that is forcing their kids to do stuff they don't want to. Developing a bad relationship with exercise is probably even worse than letting her quit.

She has been asking about doing more exercise to 'get strong'. So I figured I could replace the current running sessions with a calisthenics program I'd do with her. Still keeping her fit, still maintaining some commitment and discipline, but not forcing her into something she's not enjoying. Then maybe we can recommence C25k in the spring when it warms up a little and we can run outside, if that still interests her.

Thoughts? Sound like a reasonable plan?
    Kids keep fit by doing physical stuff THEY like to do. Let her try it. She'll figure out what she enjoys and will continue with it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    What you are suggesting seems like a solid plan. Keeping her engaged is the most important thing right now.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Keeping kids interested in sports is a constant struggle until it clicks. And it clicks for a while and sometimes that falls apart. The best laid plans, etc...

Stay flexible, make it interesting, be excited. Running is boring, but planing a trip to go to a run is a lot more fun.

My oldest biked with me, found it ok, but when we did RAGBRAI she gas a story for life.
    My daughters rode horses, but moving to Germany I thought I had it made when we lived on a horse farm and had access to them 24 hrs. But no, the owner of the school yelled and made my girls feel uncomfortable and killed their desire to ride.
    My girls now love Zorro (they fence) or watch oceanography films (they got certified) or look at films of speed climbing the Eiger (it's a great movie - they climb).

Next weekend they are riding from Lille to Brussels. (Maybe, weather is sketchy) shopping is included. Sometimes competition works, sometime it's the beauty. Gotta think like a child.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Can you sign up for any parent-child fitness classes together?
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Can you sign up for any parent-child fitness classes together?

Also sports or lessons with her peers? It is great for her to see her parents be active, but she will probably also enjoy doing soccer or dance or something with kids her own age. It might keep the fun in it a bit longer as well.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    dude, if you expect her to go pro, you're YEARS behind...

Jk, sounds reasonable to me.

I think this is a good point, and a very fair point. OP I don't know what your intentions are for your kids (ie did you and your partner ever see your kids being professional athletes rather than going straight to college? Did you see them doing both through a scholarship? etc). If you did, then you are doing the right thing by encouraging them to start becoming active.

Aside from the things mentioned above, show them little clips of different sports. Show them strong and fit women doing gymnastics, playing tennis. Watch little clips of sports with her and see her reaction. You might find that she is drawn to one sport more than another. Personally, I fell in love with just watching gymnastics after I saw Epke Zonderland at London 2012

tumblr_mg6z2cDveT1rhzv0ro1_500.gif

tumblr_mlw8mzTzfi1r6imd0o1_500.gif

tumblr_mjhbvubYib1rqk1c5o1_500.gif

tumblr_mxyo4cxUek1t2or76o1_400.gif
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    When you're a kid, exercising just for exercises sake is going to be boring and possibly a squandered opportunity. Enroll her in tennis, or track, or gymnastics, or karate or all of the above or whatever flight of fancy might pass thru her mind. That way she'll get physical activity, attainable goals, coaching, and social interaction.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's more fun for kids to have social interaction with peers during physical activity that they do for fun or sport. They have affordable gym or sports classes as after-school programs at schools or community centres. My daughters love to do children's running programs to prepare for the children's portion of marathons. Dancing, gymnastics, skating, swimming. Biking. Simply playing at the park, setting up a fun circuit type of course through the play structures with running forwards and backwards and weaving between things and tossing balls or sand bags, monkey bars, etc.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I agree that exercise is important for kids.
    I don't necessarily think it needs to be a highly structured activity, but definitely something she enjoys and that keeps her moving.
    Let her explore different activities/sports.
    And even if she finds something she likes now, it may (probably will) change as she grows older.

My daughter is 9 and has had very little instruction in gymnastics, but loves to go to open gym night and run, jump & flip for two hours.
    We take her ice skating & sledding in the winter and swimming & bike riding all summer.

IMHO: the most important factor for kids her age is that you're involved with her.
    She'll remember/enjoy that more than anything else.
  • dawnari
    dawnari Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My son, who is 8, wanted to do a c25k program with me. I had decided on doing Zombies, Run! He went with me about 3 times before he decided he'd had enough (I personally hate running on a track, or on a treadmill, so I only run/walk outside). I don't force the issue, but I offer to take him with me every time I go out. Amazingly, on Thanksgiving I got him to do a 5k run/walk with me (he refused the previous three years) by letting him have my phone with the first Zombies, Run! mission playing. We walked most of it, except for the exciting parts where we were running from zombies, haha :) Sometimes they just need a different sort of motivation. However, I agree that forcing a kid to do something is setting them up to hate it for life. Not the route you want to go with fitness.

Recently my son also expressed interest in exercises to get strong. I plan on getting weights for myself, and will get some smaller ones for him to use with me, if he chooses. He also wants to try martial arts, so that's next on our list to try out. It's something I want to do as well, so I'll be doing it with him. I have other plans in the works for better weather.

Now, as for the issue of not having discipline to see something through - they are just kids, but, this is also where lifelong habits are set. I think perhaps the best thing to do is be a good role model yourself and encourage them when they find something they like. Just keep trying to find that "thing" for your child. My daughter never stuck with anything we tried (e.g. ice skating, swimming), until she picked up cello. It isn't fitness related, but, it still requires discipline and commitment. Those qualities have spilled over into her school work and she is nearly a 4.0 student in high school now, taking all honors classes (can you tell I'm a very proud parent?). I think the development of positive qualities is more important than the way in which they develop.

I think your plan sounds very reasonable, good luck!

ETA: Fitness as a family affair! Three generations on a mission together :)

GobbleGobble.jpg
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think it is great to instill a love for being active in a child. I only know of two things to keep in mind:
    1.) A child's cardiovascular system is not a little adult system. It is different. When adults exercise, our heart rate goes up and so does the amount of blood pushed out with each contraction (the so-called stroke volume). But, with younger children, just the heart rate goes up. Their stroke volume actually goes down a bit. That might mean their heart beats a bit faster than ours when there is prolonged exercise, and that might be worrisome.
    I think I have this information correct. I used to coach soccer and I was briefed on this once. It was a while ago, however. I might have the specifics wrong. You should probably look it up if you are interested.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9339493
    2.) Regarding team sports, we start kids out really young now. But they are really not ready for it. Young children do not have the ability to grasp the "team:" concept and "team" play. There is an age when they do get it -- I believe it is at about 9-11 years -- and when they do it is really obvious. Before that, they just cannot get it. So, we are really kind of pushing them beyond their abilities when we start these sports so young.
    I think my kids had a number of sports ruined for them because they played them too young. With no team play -- and 90 percent of the time you do not have the ball -- they found these games extremely boring.
    (T-ball isn't exactly a team sport; it is more like an individual sport played on a team. But, it is a travesty as far as building affection for the game. Who wants to have to stand around for an hour in left field, or third base, while everyone on the other teams hits the ball but nobody gets out because nobody can field? Who wants to sit in the dugout while your entire team bats -- slowly -- when there are between 12 and 15 players on a team? Do you know how long it takes before you get to bat? Shoot, we did not start until the kids could pitch, and by then we were ready!)

But, by all means, in my opinion, if your daughter wants to get out there with you to frolic and run, let her. It's gotta be good for her, if only psychologically. And, the bonding between you and she will be priceless!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Hell. I'm 33 and I'd be bored out of my mind running circles inside. I agree, sign her up for a team or a class or something.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hell. I'm 33 and I'd be bored out of my mind running circles inside. I agree, sign her up for a team or a class or something.

Werd
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Werd

I love running on a track...but mainly because I can balls out sprint on a safe surface there...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what about soccer, softball, volleyball, swimming, field hockey, lacrosse, tennis, gymnastics, dance..
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

tumblr_mxyo4cxUek1t2or76o1_400.gif

This last one is absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't do BOTH without hands but the side ariel into a backhandspring step out was sooo much fun.. I'm old! Of course i was on the floor too, not a beam.... oddly, I did it at my full fatboy weight. sigh. its part of the reason I was overweight for so much of my life. I could do things like that so didn't care I was fat.